Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, I took the front portal off yesterday to install a cable to actuate my locker. I am rolling this thing around on 42's, so the portals had tons of clearance!

Could you imagine driving down the street, or through a parking lot, seeing a 5 gallon bucket, and driving right over it, and still have tons of clearnce? Without the weight of the rig, and aired up 42's, the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the diff was just over 22 inches...when it is unerder the rig, i was at about 19 (just an FYI).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the rear, with some BFG 35's...so, more like 33's

Attachments

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more of the cabel sticking out. I know as these things grow in popularity, questions will rise as to how to install the cable in the diff....well you have to pull EVERTHING apart! Actually it will be...what did you use to install your cable (because you have to fab that side). I am lazy, so I took the old nut that held in the vacuume system It is a large nut with a large opening in the middle. Well, the opening needed to be smaller, and needed threads on it. So I took a jam nut from the cable, and welded it to the top of the Vacuume nut. I have not hooked the shifter up yet, but I am sure it will work. Here is a pic of that...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Volvo Portals.

They are only a 1 ton portal...the mogs are a little heaver (weight wise), but much stronger. The Volvos basicly bolt right up, with no real modifications other than spring perches and shock mounts. Mogs...from what I undersatand...have to be re centered and modified a bit to work.

The cost on these portals is around $4,000. I put a 1310 yolk on, bought cables and OX shifters for the lockers, and had custom wheels made. (brake lines are a touch of a chore, but very doable)...all that extra stuff was uner $1000...you can also buy disk brakes for them. Spare parts for them should be plentiful with in the year...they are getting very popular. Let me know if you need the number to the guy that sells them...we have become good friends.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
:flipoff: :flipoff:

CLEARANCE IS OVERRATED:D

LOOKS KILLER

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, thanks for asking. I got a program from a guy so I could hook my laptop up to the computer to see what was wrong...well, it would not read anything. So, I am returning my wire harness, and getting a new one from Howell. This one should install in just a few hours where the other one took almost a week! Here is a link to see some pictures of the mess.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=119361&goto=newpost

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Ryan,
Do you have the OBD-II port plug that came with the OEM wiring harness? You can't read any OBD-II diagnostics without this digital port. It is usually located right under the steering column. You also have to be sure that you have the right serial port selected for the Harrison reader interface. You will know that they are communicating when the port select knob changes from red to green. If it stays red, try changing serial ports. You can try it on any 96 up vehicle to verify that the reader is hooked up correctly.

·
Registered
878 Posts
What does the cable locker and disc brake kits cost?
Do you know if your friend that sell the axles gets them from Sweden?
Is the drive flange bolt pattern the same as the landcruiser bolt pattern?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pin head...to tell you the truth, I was really worried about this wire harness I got. Yes, it was plugged into the right port, but only two of those (8) wires were plugged into the car computer??? I think something was up with it...I don't think the Detail Zone finished wiring up their deal....what ever it is called.

Anyway, do you mind if I keep it until after I get the new harness installed? I ordered it yesterday, and expect to receive it Tuesday. I could have it to you by the end of the week? Is that ok, or do you need it before then? BTW, thank you so much for letting me use it.

JBT...the cables I had made at the same shop extreem axle has theirs made. They cost me about $140, and you will want to get the shifters from OX (if they are not on back order like everything at OX). They run about $80 each. If you did not want to run the OX shifters, you can call Ron at the Off Road General Store, and he has a way to make your cables activate, and unactivate via air! Very Trick!

I am not sure what you mean by the drive flange...are you talking about the pinion yolk? I believe that it is a stock jeep part? I have the spicer part number if you need it....the 1310 yolk. If you are talking about lug pattern, nope...way different, large eight lug.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is right. You asked about disk brakes. Well, the complete package is about $1500. Or, you can buy the backing plate from him, then bolt your rotors and caplipers on...this I think would cost significantly less. But I am not certain yet.

BTW, the cable company is here...LAish area and the guy that machines the backing plate is in Asia, I think.

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
but only two of those (8) wires were plugged into the car computer
The OBDII connector is an industry standard receptacle and not all of the connectors are used by a given manufacturer. GM uses 7 or 8 in what they call the data link connector. These include power, ground, ABS, keyless entry and others I forget. But, in fact only two are connected to the computer. In the original GM harness, these are Data Link Power (A8) and Serial Data (B7). I know a lot of folks insist on an aftermarket wiring harness for a Vortec conversion. I like the GM harness, if for no other reason because of the extensive documentation and wiring diagrams present in the factory manuals.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
rfrey said:

Anyway, do you mind if I keep it until after I get the new harness installed? I ordered it yesterday, and expect to receive it Tuesday. I could have it to you by the end of the week? Is that ok, or do you need it before then? BTW, thank you so much for letting me use it.

Ryan,
No problem. If you have any trouble hooking it up to your laptop, just give me a call. The OBD-II tool requires the power, ground and serial data lines, which are standard for all the connectors. The only real issue is setting the right serial port. Just try all the different ports until the light turns green. Try downloading the new software and let me know how it works.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Pin Head...I may have had a problem with the serial port. Is this the port at the back of the computer? I thought everything only hooked up one way? Anyway, I will give you a ring after the new harness is here. We did download the updated information. My wife was unable to use the disks because she has no floppy drive...just the DVD-CD drive. So we spent a good hour or more downloading it through here dial up. So, the program is on her laptop, I just need to better understand how get the program started once the laptop is plugged into the computer.

BJ on Roids...check this link for a picture with disk brakes...I personally do not have them yet, but want them...bad.

http://www.xtremeaxle.com/

·
Registered
878 Posts
Does 15" rims fit with disc brakes?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No...I am not sure 16" rims will fit. I forget the inside measurement...I think like 14.4" to clear with willwood calipers...it may be different with other calipers. I know they clear with 17 inch rims. My hummers I think will clear, but I have not tried yet.
Sorry for not being able to answer you question completely.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts