Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to a nice Mall to impress some honnies...

:grinpimp:

I hear chicks dig body damage, but there were none around to test this theory... :p

But, seriously though, on Sunday I ventured to the local medium-core (used to be hard-core but too many rock stackers had their way with it) trail and these Iroks work like magic.
Run them at 5 pounds of preassure, they flex nicely and the claws in the outer lugs really bite. I got throttle happy in one lose dirt spot and had to quickly let off as I dug 1foot holes under the tires in a matter of a blink of an eye...

i am verry happy with their trail performance :D

On the souer note, I have some death wobble now.
The tires were ballanced and run smoothly for a week. Then I aired them down and run the trail. I did not have any carnage to any suspension/steering componennts. got back on the road and they start to woble at 30-40 MPH. Took'em to the tire shop and the front's were out of balance by 16 ounces :eek: . Then the tire shop guys proceeded to tell me they cannot balance them. Went to a different shop and they told me my rims are waaay too narrow for the tires (8 inch rim) and I should be running at least 9 and 3/4 inch rim and they will not touch it 'cause that's the reason why they woble (where the hell did he get the 9 3/4 inch!?!?).
So I left... :flipoff2:
Is it common for swampers to be unbalancable? I mayhave lost a weight or two, but 16 ounces? WTF? Why did they change after trail run? :shaking:

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Looks great man, lets see some side pics.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gotmuddy said:
Looks great man, lets see some side pics.
just edited the post with the side view... and some bitchin' regarding balance :rolleyes:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Next time you air down, mark a wheel and tire with chalk. Do the trail and then check your chalk marks. When I air down (usually to about 4-5) I usually see where the tire has spun a little on the rim. So the wheel/tire isn't balanced anymore. The low air pressure won't hold the tire in place very well. The only real answer is to get beadlocks, but then you have the 'not street legal' problem. :(

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
you can get Hummer beadlocks, they are street legal, but they can get really expensive.

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
MudKick said:
Took'em to the tire shop and the front's were out of balance by 16 ounces :eek: . Then the tire shop guys proceeded to tell me they cannot balance them. Went to a different shop and they told me my rims are waaay too narrow for the tires (8 inch rim) and I should be running at least 9 and 3/4 inch rim and they will not touch it 'cause that's the reason why they woble (where the hell did he get the 9 3/4 inch!?!?).
So I left... :flipoff2:
Is it common for swampers to be unbalancable? I mayhave lost a weight or two, but 16 ounces? WTF? Why did they change after trail run? :shaking:
Your rig looks downright mean with the new rubber :evil: :grinpimp:

How wide are the tires again? Around 13 or 13.5" ? I don't remember seeing that listed, offhand. How is the sidewall bulge at 5psi? (*is* there any with such light rig/big tires :D )

It does sound like you may have spun the tires on the rims, alright. They were probably still soaked with tire lube, trying to get to the trail so quickly after getting your new toys! :laughing: :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yup cool truck...lets see it in action!

Koko

·
Registered
462 Posts
billjohn said:
Next time you air down, mark a wheel and tire with chalk. Do the trail and then check your chalk marks. When I air down (usually to about 4-5) I usually see where the tire has spun a little on the rim. So the wheel/tire isn't balanced anymore. The low air pressure won't hold the tire in place very well. The only real answer is to get beadlocks, but then you have the 'not street legal' problem. :(
I'm glad someone else said it. Time to add some bling! SKY has DIY beadlocks on for $100 for aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
455 Posts
So what, the Stave Lake Lookout is considered hardcore now? :flipoff2: Seriously though...rock stackers do suck around here. So much for 6ft Under being "secret".

You win for the sexiest Suzuki in the area.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
UZI 9mm said:
How wide are the tires again? Around 13 or 13.5" ? I don't remember seeing that listed, offhand. How is the sidewall bulge at 5psi? (*is* there any with such light rig/big tires :D )
The tires are 13.5 inches wide. They are actually exactly the size they say they are.
On an 8 inch rim and 20PSI on the rig they measure 35 3/4 inch tall and 13.5 inches wide.
The reason I run them at 5 PSI is because that's when I started seeing a noticable bulge. At around 6, maybe 6.5 PSI they still looked fully inflated.

UZI 9mm said:
It does sound like you may have spun the tires on the rims, alright. They were probably still soaked with tire lube, trying to get to the trail so quickly after getting your new toys! :laughing: :D
Well I think I figured out the problem. I switched fronts with rears and the front death woble is gone, but my rear started hopping and "slowly" vibriting making me wanna take a dump right there. :barf: Not pleasent.
I looked out the window and my DS R wheel was doing ye-ole' woble... Bent wheel? :confused: Hmm...
Took it to the tire shop and they said it did look on their machine like this wheel has a bit of a side to side woble indicating a bend...
So I gues I'll have a matching spare wheel now (a bent one, but still...)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Goldmember said:
Yup cool truck...lets see it in action!

Koko
Last weekend a dude I never wheeld with before took a video of some section of the trail (can opener/6feet under - for the locals) I will try to get a copy.
But in 2 weekends we're heading to a local anual Zuk rock crawl, so perhaps a lil' trip report will come out of it (coughDumbcough)

Dumb, we'll talk re. beadlocks, when we hook up.
Goof :emb2: thanx :emb3:

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I have been really impressed with iroks.
Several guys I wheel with run them and work great on our terrain.
Most have dealt with and are currently dealing with death wobble.
A soft flexible bias ply tire like that is more prone to death wobble than others - It's just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
462 Posts
MudKick said:
Dumb, we'll talk re. beadlocks, when we hook up.
No thanks. I'm married I don't want to hook up with you. You :rainbow: French guy! :flipoff2:

MudKick said:
But in 2 weekends we're heading to a local anual Zuk rock crawl, so perhaps a lil' trip report will come out of it (coughDumbcough)
Yeah we'll see. I'm only going if Rhys' ride is done. No offense dude but I don't think I could handle a weekend of the X90 driver... If we go I'll probably truck slut a bit and maybe take you and few other select individuals for some optional runs... :D You might want to consider rock lights. We like wheeling at midnight. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I also just installed a set of 36x13.5 Iroks.
I really love them. I am a bit lighter in the rear with my Sami and at 5 pounds in the rocks, there was only a little bit of buldge. I am gonna take them down to around 2psi until they break in.

Also, here is a photo of them on the "Can Opener" at TSF.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts