Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just excited that I got my new trailer. It was made by a great fab guy that I know. The axles are rated at 8000# so this should be able to hold anything I'll throw on it. Now I just need to get a rock rig, my last one was stolen. Let me know what you guys think.

·
pimping sparks&smoke
706 Posts
Very nice! The fab guy does awesome work. I myself just "bought " a trailer , and although I like it , and it was realitively cheap I wish I had built my own (cant for the life of me figure out why I didn't:confused: ) . Now go build a rig!!!
Richard

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Not bad. How much? And, is that a manual pump hydraulic cylinder?

The only thing that would worry me is getting big tires and full width axles around that rail.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments guys.

BillaVista, the square is a storage unit that holds the spare tire and misc. shit. I wish that house was mine, but its not.

FYRMAN, I got the trailer for the cost of parts. long story short somebody owed me a favor. The pump is an manual. It works great. I'm not too worried about the width. I think I'll end up running 37x12.50's and the trailer is as wide as it can be legally. If worse comes to worse I'll knock the bars off the sides.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Is it the photo's -- or does that trailer look like the wheels are pretty far back? I'd be curious what the tongue weight it of that trailer? With 8000# axles, what is the coupler? Looks like a 2" ball, but hope it is bigger!

Only thought was the tail end needs to be longer, with a dovetail on it to allow easier loading. Yes, with a decent rig you don't even need loading ramps, but nice to be able to move around equipment.

I still need to get a decent trailer for moving junk! :D Looking at a trailer like that, yep $3400.

Weldpro -- one temping thing about building your own... make "side steps" and use some stout "C" channel 6" as the tire fenders so you can drive over them! :)

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
roundrocktom said:
Is it the photo's -- or does that trailer look like the wheels are pretty far back? I'd be curious what the tongue weight it of that trailer? With 8000# axles, what is the coupler? Looks like a 2" ball, but hope it is bigger!

Only thought was the tail end needs to be longer, with a dovetail on it to allow easier loading.
Weldpro -- one temping thing about building your own... make "side steps" and use some stout "C" channel 6" as the tire fenders so you can drive over them! :)

Tom :usa:
The wheels look like they are in the right place to me.:confused: They should be past center. Also why would a person need a ball bigger than 2" ?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Blue 84 said:
why would a person need a ball bigger than 2" ?
Because a 2" ball with a 1" shank is rated for 6000# at best. Most car trailers are rated for 7000# and above. 2 5/16" ball with a 1" shank will be rated the same... You still have the 1" shank. Go to a 2 5/16" ball with a 1 1/4" shank and you get 10,000- 12,000#, depending on what the ball is made of.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
FYRMAN said:

Because a 2" ball with a 1" shank is rated for 6000# at best. Most car trailers are rated for 7000# and above.
ooooooooooooh, I see. You know, that being the case, there really should be a law about what hitch the trailer manufactures put on. I can not tell you the last time I saw a trailer with a 2 5/16 hitch. I think the only thing they put them on hear in KS is trailer houses.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
MoabZJ said:
Nice trailer Matt. Is your old rig still sitting in Kevins backyard collecting dust?

Cody
LOL, I saw the big red beast a couple of months ago. It still sits in the center of the backyard being used as storage unit. No way is that thing getting built back up again.

MATT, get a fawking rig already!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The ball is 2 5/16, I think that the axles are sitting in the right spot. I can't see any problems with their location.

Hey Cody, good to hear from ya! Ya the old rig is in Kevin's yard still, think he's got some big plans for it. Not sure when he's going to get it going?

Hey tj_angel_113, here's an idea for ya, why don't we got tear your rig up on the trails until I get mine. You still haven't taken me out to the trails. Let me drive your rig a little, then you'll really have a reason to cut those fenders! We drinkin tonight?:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,183 Posts
FYRMAN said:

Because a 2" ball with a 1" shank is rated for 6000# at best. Most car trailers are rated for 7000# and above. 2 5/16" ball with a 1" shank will be rated the same... You still have the 1" shank. Go to a 2 5/16" ball with a 1 1/4" shank and you get 10,000- 12,000#, depending on what the ball is made of.
I have a 2" ball rated for 10,000 lbs. 1 1/4 inch shank. Believe it is a drawtite brand

That is one great looking trailer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts