Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got 17x9 aluminum Trailready's today. I went to install the valve stems they sent and the don't fit in the wheel flush. They sent the valve stems that are bent 90*, the valve stem(in the bend) rubs the inner edge of the inner ring not letting it seat proper. I'm afraid to clearance the ring without talking to them first. I thought I would see if anyone else has had or heard of this problem and what did you do to correct it? I would really like to get the 39.5" Iroks on them to see how they look. Thanks for any help. I'll call them first thing Monday incase your wondering.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KYOTA said:
Get 45* or straight stems?
I know the straights won't work, not sure on the 45*. I'm going to see what I can find in town tomorrow as far as 45's. Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
it might sound stupid and/or i am not understanding your problem (but i think i am) i just used the 90* ones and turned them inward. worked for me:smokin:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just try to make them work or find some in your area because Larry will take a while.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
abrogate said:
it might sound stupid and/or i am not understanding your problem (but i think i am) i just used the 90* ones and turned them inward. worked for me:smokin:
That's the way I put them. Did yours not hit the inside edge of the of the inner ring they weld to the wheel? It's like the cutout for stem needed to be cut deeper.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine are Champions, but had the exact same problem (using 45* stems). I took a die grinder and clearanced the ring. Only required a small notch.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MattPascoe said:
Mine are Champions, but had the exact same problem (using 45* stems). I took a die grinder and clearanced the ring. Only required a small notch.
That's what I'm thinking, but I want to talk to Trailready before I do it. You would think they would have someone to check this wouldn't ya. Thanks

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
zooker said:
That's the way I put them. Did yours not hit the inside edge of the of the inner ring they weld to the wheel? It's like the cutout for stem needed to be cut deeper.

i originally thought that they should point out, but they wouldnt work right (like yours) so i just turned them around. hope that pic is clear enough, my camera doesnt like up close stuff:barf:

edit: damn, that picture is huge, even after resizing it twice!!!! almost life size.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
abrogate said:

i originally thought that they should point out, but they wouldnt work right (like yours) so i just turned them around. hope that pic is clear enough, my camera doesnt like up close stuff:barf:

edit: damn, that picture is huge, even after resizing it twice!!!! almost life size.
Appreciate the pic. I put mine in just as you did. I can see a gap between the bend in your stem and the inner ring. Mine doesn't have that. Oh well, I'm getting ready to call them.

Thanks to all...

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
zooker said:
Appreciate the pic. I put mine in just as you did. I can see a gap between the bend in your stem and the inner ring. Mine doesn't have that. Oh well, I'm getting ready to call them.

Thanks to all...

You point them in then use a doubled-ended air chuck like for DRW vehicles. It works better than a straigh valve stem and is safer than having a valvestep point outwards.
Like this:

I prefer flushmount valvestems that have the nuts on the inside of the wheel. You end up with nothing but the valvestem cap sticking outside of the wheel and it's a lot safer and stronger.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to Larry today. He told me that some of the valve stems are a tad bit different in lengths and he would send me more or I could do a little clearancing of the inner ring with a grinder. He said they had seen this a few times before and he would fix the problem if I chose to go with the other stems. It won't take alot of clearancing to get them to work.

Thanks guys and hopefully this will help someone in the future. I'll let you know how it comes out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts