Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using to paint your bare steel wheels from summiit? What paint works well and keeps the rust of I mean..... Would love to have them powder coated but that isn't possible where I live.

So what works well?

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no excuses said:
hammerite
The pitted loking stuff? Might be worth a look... Was thinking just a good tough and durable black paint. With maybe a couple of clear coats over it.

Wish I could find a place to powder coat them really... but no one up in my area does it.:(

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I second the Hammerite, used it on a lot of things, looks good, has that orange peel/powdercoat look, and with a couple coats is actually pretty tough. They have it in a light grey and a dark grey that both look pretty good. Just my .02

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hammerite it is! I'm gonna paint project "meager build" some gren color... so they will get black Hammerite:) .

Looked in the 2" BS thread and saw Seabass's paint job, I'm gonna copy his junk:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I used Rustoleum Industrial (tall silver can) rust red primer(3 coats) and then gloss black (3 coats). Everyone who sees them sayys they can't believe it's rattle can. I also used a can of degreaser on each wheel to make sure all the machine oil was gone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You might look at a product called "POR 15". They have severl product that are just sweet. I paitned my rockerpannels on my toy chevy orange with their paint, and it is REALLY tough.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Childsplay said:
I spent $2 at walmart and bought 2 cans of gloss black:shaking: :p
Oh yeah? How's that holdin' up:flipoff2: Rusty yet?

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Childsplay said:
nope, not a spot!:D

but I havnt wheeled them yet:flipoff2:

but when they get scratched... its only going to cost me a buck to touch them up:laughing:
Yeah... touch up is cheap. Your alot dryer down there tha I am up here... just had a 4ft snow ump and they are using some chemical crap on the roads now, really inhibits the rust:( ... so I wanns get some good thick junk.

Go wheel the damn things too!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Steve, you know you the only color you can paint a wheel is Mexi-chrome. :laughing:
steveh said:
Walmart $2 semi-flat black. It's a wheeler!!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
I dont like the way that hammerite chips compared to reg. spray.
I had some sliders on a truck done w/ por-15 --that shits pretty tough and looks good.

Id just shoot em w/ some good rattlecan and call it good. Then touchup is easy. Any paint will chip/scratch, and IMO powdercoating them is a waste of $$.

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
I'm probably a dumbass on paint issues, but I've had problems with Rustoleum bubbling. Krylon works for me.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Only problem with POR-15 is its not UV stable, meaning it turns white & chalkywhen hit by sun too long. I have a set of Stazworks rims on order now, will be using Rust Bullet when they arrive. Easily as durable as POR15 but UV stable & can easily be top coated or touched up. A buddy runs oval track in modifieds and has tried everything from rattlecan to powdercoat, told him to try the bullet & he says he will never use anything else again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts