Pirate 4x4 banner

Got my US wheels.... Now what paint???

2K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  Roksamy 
#1 ·
What are you guys using to paint your bare steel wheels from summiit? What paint works well and keeps the rust of I mean..... Would love to have them powder coated but that isn't possible where I live.

So what works well?

#13 ·
Childsplay said:
nope, not a spot!:D

but I havnt wheeled them yet:flipoff2:

but when they get scratched... its only going to cost me a buck to touch them up:laughing:
Yeah... touch up is cheap. Your alot dryer down there tha I am up here... just had a 4ft snow ump and they are using some chemical crap on the roads now, really inhibits the rust:( ... so I wanns get some good thick junk.

Go wheel the damn things too!:flipoff2:

#16 ·
I dont like the way that hammerite chips compared to reg. spray.
I had some sliders on a truck done w/ por-15 --that shits pretty tough and looks good.

Id just shoot em w/ some good rattlecan and call it good. Then touchup is easy. Any paint will chip/scratch, and IMO powdercoating them is a waste of $$.

#20 ·
Only problem with POR-15 is its not UV stable, meaning it turns white & chalkywhen hit by sun too long. I have a set of Stazworks rims on order now, will be using Rust Bullet when they arrive. Easily as durable as POR15 but UV stable & can easily be top coated or touched up. A buddy runs oval track in modifieds and has tried everything from rattlecan to powdercoat, told him to try the bullet & he says he will never use anything else again.

#21 ·
RocKrawler said:
Only problem with POR-15 is its not UV stable, meaning it turns white & chalkywhen hit by sun too long. I have a set of Stazworks rims on order now, will be using Rust Bullet when they arrive. Easily as durable as POR15 but UV stable & can easily be top coated or touched up. A buddy runs oval track in modifieds and has tried everything from rattlecan to powdercoat, told him to try the bullet & he says he will never use anything else again.
Where can rust bullet be found?

#24 ·
tanman2003 said:
rustoleum hammered finish chips very easy, even just driving down a gravel road, hard to touch up too.
I keep hearing this.... I'm gonna go w/ the standard rattle can job on top of a bunch of primer. Steveh made me feel like weiner wanting to get all fancy and stuff:flipoff2: .

I will post pics of the results in my build thread... And I may be heading to Ga. in the next week or two for a job out that way!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.