Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some more testing on the SOA. The more I drive it the more I like it. Great flex on both axles, maxing out the shocks but got pretty good axle wrap in the rear. Pinion flenge moves up about 2" upon hard acceleration. So... I only have 5 leafs in the back that have about 2.5" of lift. I've heard others using the JC Whitney HD 6 leaf spring packs with good results. Would that cure the amount of wrap I have? I also heard that the HD CJ spring from JCW is 7 leafs but would that work on a YJ ?
Now the other solution is to fab up some traction bar system. Did anybody do that on a Ford 8.8 rear end? Should it be attached to the tubes or to the diff housing?
All ideas are welcome so let's have'em!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,719 Posts
Traction bar all the way! Something like the one Sam's offroad sells.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
i have built traction bars that mount to the top of the axle llike that and they don't work. they are on the same side of the axle as the springs and the axle will just use it as a pivot on it . i built one similar to the one sam's offroad sells and it works great. the shackle allows full articulation with no binding yet prevents wrap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
hey chris does he need another bar on the bottom? or was he ok. he mentioned that in the web page

i need to make one within a couple of days so just trying to see what works and what doesn't
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
hey chris does he need another bar on the bottom? or was he ok. he mentioned that in the web page

i need to make one within a couple of days so just trying to see what works and what doesn't
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by high5:
<STRONG>i have built traction bars that mount to the top of the axle llike that and they don't work. they are on the same side of the axle as the springs and the axle will just use it as a pivot on it . i built one similar to the one sam's offroad sells and it works great. the shackle allows full articulation with no binding yet prevents wrap.</STRONG>
I can see why the top-only mount wouldn't work on a SOA rig. I was thinking of building the same triangular ladder bar as the Sams item but I'm concerned about attaching it to the Ford 8.8 tubes. They are known to twist sometimes so wouldn't this increase the chance of that? Also what would you use to weld the brackets onto the pig? Hi Nic. rod?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Originally posted by cobo9:
<STRONG>hey chris does he need another bar on the bottom? or was he ok. he mentioned that in the web page
</STRONG>
Dont know yet, he hasent gotten it out for a trail test yet. Ill get him to look at this thread and offer up some comments.

-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
I am having a Sam's bar put on mine as we speak. I also have an 8.8 so I hope the axle tubes dont twist...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,490 Posts
Lowrange, is your rig at BOR again? Seems like Dan has your Jeep more than you do. Phil (white YJ, 35" MT/R's) is getting a front detroit right now <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
I'm in the process of a redesign now. I still have crazy axle wrap. I am building a ladder bar type setup. Two connection points on the axle...high and low. Will update the page with the new setup.

--Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,719 Posts
Originally posted by kutyafal:
<STRONG>I was thinking of building the same triangular ladder bar as the Sams item but I'm concerned about attaching it to the Ford 8.8 tubes. They are known to twist sometimes so wouldn't this increase the chance of that? Also what would you use to weld the brackets onto the pig? Hi Nic. rod?</STRONG>
Put two 1" welds on each tube from the tube to the housing just to be sure they don't twist. The housings are cast steel not cast iron so a ni rod is not nessisary a 70ER6S mig wire works just fine but a 80ER6S would be even better. You can use a lower silicon wire like a 3S-5S if that is what you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,400 Posts
Originally posted by 66CJdean:
<STRONG>Put two 1" welds on each tube from the tube to the housing just to be sure they don't twist. The housings are cast steel not cast iron so a ni rod is not nessisary a 70ER6S mig wire works just fine but a 80ER6S would be even better. You can use a lower silicon wire like a 3S-5S if that is what you have.</STRONG>
HEY! Stop all that fancy talking! Seriously though, for sure use a ladder bar type with a shackle at the front. Make sure to use a goofy shackle or heim joint, or johnny joint at the shackle end. Also, dont be afraid to make it too beefy.....Just ask Dean!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,177 Posts
I built a Sam's style bar attatched to the tube on my AMC20, which is also known for spinning tubes. No problems yet w/ 4 good wheeling trips on it and no extra welds to the pumpkin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by 66CJdean:
<STRONG>Put two 1" welds on each tube from the tube to the housing just to be sure they don't twist. The housings are cast steel not cast iron so a ni rod is not nessisary a 70ER6S mig wire works just fine but a 80ER6S would be even better. You can use a lower silicon wire like a 3S-5S if that is what you have.</STRONG>
Wow, cast steel? That's a different ball game. I only have a wirefeed MIG w/flux but I can use my onboard welder w/7018 rod, it should hold then. Right? For the 1" reinforcement welds do you mean to put it where the tube meets the housing? I was told to grind the plug welds out and weld in the holes but they look pretty healthy so I rather not mess with them. Additional beads around the tube where it meets the housing would only help more if that's the way to do it.
Btw, I'm going to put in an extra leaf for now until I fab up the traction bar. Trail run is in one week, time is hort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
<IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> I just got my Jeep back and holy sh!t is it WAY better it fixed many of my problems with vibrations. I cant believe how much it helped! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">

Man it feels good to be able to put the petal to the metal again! I havent been able to use any heavy right foot action for almost a year! Now I can floor it and it works great! I put in a Sams traction bar but if I did it again I think I might get a parts mike just because it is adjustable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,465 Posts
Originally posted by Lowrangerider:
<STRONG>I am having a Sam's bar put on mine as we speak. </STRONG>
<IMG SRC="smilies/rolleyes.gif" border="0"> I am so dissapointed in you <IMG SRC="smilies/thefinger.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Lowrangerider:
<STRONG> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> I just got my Jeep back and holy sh!t is it WAY better it fixed many of my problems with vibrations. I cant believe how much it helped! <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
I put in a Sams traction bar but if I did it again I think I might get a parts mike just because it is adjustable.</STRONG>
What's the web site for Parts Mike's online store (not the partsmike.com site)? I'd like to see their design. Also, did you get the Sams HD or regular traction bar? Where did they mount the shacle mount?
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top