Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a '87 Runner that has some electrical (I think) issues. When I turn left (only left) and about 1,800-2,000 RPM's it seems like it surges and sputters and the tach dose a little dance.....start to straighting the wheels back out or get it up past 2,500 and it stops, it's worse at night when the headlights are on or if I use my turn signal. Also if I'm driving at night and turn to many things on like the turn signals, heater, etc. it boggs out and will actualy die if sitting at a stop. Anybody have any ideas on where I should start? Oh yea did I mention elec. and I are like oil and vinegar.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ttt

·
Registered
315 Posts
weak battery/charging system

Sounds like have a weak battery or charging system and when you have your accessories on, you are overtaxing your battery. Have your alt. checked and how are your battery cables.
Jeff S.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like have a weak battery or charging system and when you have your accessories on, you are overtaxing your battery. Have your alt. checked and how are your battery cables.
Jeff S.
The battery is new, the pos. cable is new and the neg. cable didn't look that old. Belts are tight, I just find it odd that it only dose it when turning left. I'm gonna go through here soon and check all the grounds and add some bigger, better ones too and see if that helps out.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Jeff S.

this sounds right

The battery is new, the pos. cable is new and the neg. cable didn't look that old. Belts are tight, I just find it odd that it only dose it when turning left. I'm gonna go through here soon and check all the grounds and add some bigger, better ones too and see if that helps out.
don't go by looks, get out a volt meter and see if your alternator is charging

you don't test by looking, but a visual inspection is the 1st step;)

as far as when turning worse, might have some bad wiring in the steering column.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tore into the colum once to see if there was a chafed wire touching somewhere and couldn't find anything. Other than that what would you do about replacement, would you do a whole colum or just the wiring from the plugs to the steering wheel?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after further inspection, I found it had a weak ground off the battery. So I added a couple more grounds and haven't had a problem yet. Crazy how something so simple can cause such a hassle.:shaking: Thanks for the help.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts