Pirate 4x4 banner

Got the new jeep home

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  4x4 Pete 
#1 ·
Here it is finally. Got it home and within 5 minutes had it running. The 6 cylinder deisel purs like a kitten. It does have a tranfercase that looks like an np 231 with a slip yoke eliminator already installed but the tag says its a model 198 am 1 with a 2.61 low range. The auto tranny looks like a huge torqueflite. And it has dana 44 8 lug hubs on the front. Its pretty generic. The transfer case has the ability to shift out of low range and has a front output as well. The rear is a dana 70 geared to hell. Does any one know about the transfer case? It looks to have the same bolt pattern as a dana 300 and the 231. If it is 23 spline I will throw on a dana 300, find a 60 front and 4 link the rear.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I have never seen one of those. Is that factory? It looks like the thing they pull the luggage with at the airport.:flipoff2:

#6 ·
Yeah they were used in the air force to tug various crafts aroud the tarmacks. They were also used for luggage and equipment. What is hard to beleive is that there is not one ounce of rust in the whole thing. Its also one heavy bitch. I think it weighs over 6500 lbs. But most of that is the bed on the back. It is made of 1/4 inch steel and the bumpers ar 1/2 inch thick.:eek:

#7 ·
jeep2.5 said:
Yeah they were used in the air force to tug various crafts aroud the tarmacks. They were also used for luggage and equipment. What is hard to beleive is that there is not one ounce of rust in the whole thing. Its also one heavy bitch. I think it weighs over 6500 lbs. But most of that is the bed on the back. It is made of 1/4 inch steel and the bumpers ar 1/2 inch thick.:eek:
Damn...thats pretty awesome! I assume your gonna ditch the bed and do something lighter weight?

#9 ·
Does the case look similar to a 208? It should be a variant of one. The bolt pattern should be the round 6 with 23 splines. Make sure the stickout's right and you're good to go. I would bet it's just fine. The adapter is most likely the same one on Waggy's.

#10 ·
Oxjockey said:
What year is it? I'd be suprised if it was an SAE bolt pattern on the Tcase if it was older than 1980.

It's cute, though!
Its an 85 model. The tcase looks like a 208 or a 231 with a sye kit. The tag says its a np 198 am 1. And it does have the 6 bolt pattern. There is provisions to mount a shifter. I just dont know what shifter to use?

#17 ·
useless said:
Aside from being really ugly that thing is pretty cool. :flipoff2:
I did a search and found some nicely re-done units with custom beds and lifts and things. They look pretty cool I think. Looks kinda like a YJ mated with a old Range Rover.

#18 ·
They're 2wd arn't they? Do they just use 4x4 D44 8 lug hubs on a dead axle?

#19 · (Edited)
It's ugly enough I like it. Those yellow flashy lights on the top are cool :D . It looks like a pretty good base to build on. Diesel, auto, and a D70. I would be suprised if the T-case input shaft and cone is different than ones used on the 208 in Dodge/Jeep/Ford/GM. If it is different, you might be able to use the input shaft from CJ10 in a 208. I think most of the GM/Dodge/Jeep 208's use rear slip joint :barf: , but the Fords use a standard yoke output.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.