Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this Zuki a couple of years ago from a guy who did the Suzuki 2.0 motor and TH180 swap. It has leaked tranny fluid from day 1. I decided to look into that. I have not seen pictures of this type of detail...so lets eat up some bandwidth.

Here is the rig all clean...

Pulled off the skid plate. All kinds of fluid and gunk in it...

I was not able to get to everything I needed to. So I decided cutting the tunnel was easier vs tranny removal. I will weld this shut when I'm finished.

I discovered the kickdown cable has a huge cut in the housing. It was leaking fluid and likely allowing dirt in.

Before and after I cleaned that area up...

Had to remove the lines so I could get to the kickdown to replace it...

The 1st cable I ordered was cheap plastic and did not fit. The 2nd cable was the correct one and fit perfect.

Next issue was the modulator. It was leaking a bit where it screws into the tranny. Also, the transmission was struggling recently...white smoke out the pipe. Reading up...that says replace this widget.

More to follow in the next post

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next was to remove the pan...all over the floor. Fook. I did not want to remove the exhaust pipe so I had to turn spin the pan and slide it sideways to get it out.

Some pictures of what inside looks like. It was cleaner than I anticipated.

The pan was a hot mess with that gasket all stuck on it.

Before and after pan clean up...

Replaced the filter...old vs new...

The magnet did it's job...before vs after.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Easy way is drill about a 5/8 or 3/4 hole weld a low profile nut on the inside of the same size use a short flange bolt or even a drain plug with a gasket. No need to worry about being 100% welded on inside as the washer on outside seals it up

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Adding to above: I realize you wont get 100% of the fluid out with the nut sticking up a bit on the inside. But at the very least you wont get a tranny shower when pulling the pan.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good info!

My TH180 has a slow up-shift from 1st to 2nd. Downshift is ok.

Could that be the modulator?

I too need to re and re the filter do a fluid change to it.

Thanks for your thots.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info!

My TH180 has a slow up-shift from 1st to 2nd. Downshift is ok.

Could that be the modulator?

I too need to re and re the filter do a fluid change to it.

Thanks for your thots.
If you remove the hose at the end of the modulator, there is a small screw inside. You can adjust the shift firmness. I set it more firm and the it now semi-launches when you go between gears on the selector. Giddy-up :grinpimp:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts