Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all :(, wasn't on here in a pretty long time, but heres whats up, i'm down to my last year in high school, and i'm going to be graduating in june, which means i'm going into school again........ and i need a vechical to drive on the road alot, and i can't afford to get anouther rig, so its either sell the zuki for a more road-able rig, or make it more street-able, so i want to make it more streetable........... but i still want to very capable......... my plans were to get the cross over down and toy axles and 35"s........but that has all changed now that the loacl school dosn't offer what i'm taking....... so my specs now are:
SPOA
cj7 springs all around
2" body lift
fenders cut back about 3"
85" w/b
31"s
stock axles
locked rear
baby lobster t-case
got 5.13's to go in
custom bumpers
1.3L
ect.
NO missinging links...........6" shackles in the back and i moved the shackle hanger out in front and have regular shackles up there.

so i need to keep my highway speeds but want it to be still good off-road....... think i'm going to keep the 31"s now, and either go to SPUA and stock steering, or take out the body lift and run it high with only 31"s........ but i really need the gearing............ should i put in the 5.13's with the baby lobster??? keep just the baby lobster, go 5.13' and stock t-case........ think i'm keeping the rear locked.....and just put up with it......its worth it for its performance.....
let me hear your opinons guys, i really want to keep it so after i finish school i can build it back up again....... and still use it on the weekends, but i will be comming home on long weekends and holidays which is a 5 hour drive........not in zuki speeds......:(
well thanks for the tim guys..........i know this is newbie-ish, but i would rather this board than anyother on the net and i'v been here the longest...........
l8r all
-Mike

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Mike, ditch the body lift and spring under it. With the cut fenders and 2" longer than stock shackles you can clear your 31's.

Put the baby lobster in and forget the 5.12's unless you like red-line at highway speeds.

Believe me, every bit you can get the truck down will help with those nice cross winds in Cape Breton and the mainland.

Is it Truro or Halifax you're going too? If halifax weld some rings on to your shift levers so you can lock them together in reverse and 4-low or you're truck won't be around long.

Ken

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its halifax ken.......... and i got plans for thefting it........... switch to shut off the coil, quick release gas peddle, ect...... and you seen mine, its a hardtop, so its not as easy to get into, but still not very hard i guess.........
l8r, and i want atleast a 5" total lift........

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
For a daily, considering what you have id say use the 5.13's with the stock case, leave it SPOA and 31's, you wont have to chop nothin. Addin the baby lobster will make you rev too high at 100/km. Lose the body lift. You wont need it. With the cj's and all the hiway you plan on, a panhard up font might provide more stability. I drive mine 9hrs each way once a week. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have 30" tires with no lift other than Revolver shackles (I guess 2" longer than stock?) and flattening the fender lips with a hammer. So I agree with the others - if you are SOA, you won't need the body lift or any chopping to clear 31s. You can save the body lift and chopping until you get bigger tires.

I also agree with what Slowzuki said about the wind messing with you - don't lift it any more than you need to.

I have been driving 45 miles one way to work for the past couple of weeks, and my gearing is good on the highway with a GRS1, stock 3.73 axle gears, and the 30" tires. I can run more than 65mph if I want to, and 50mph on up is usable in 5th gear on the highway, even on hills.

Only power adder is high-flow muffler and a Weber carb.

I've been getting 20-25 mpg.

Later!
Richard

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Fellow Canadian responding..

Mud
I'm runnnig a GRS1 with 5.12's and 33's and it turns [email protected]/hr (GPS checked).
So with 31's it'going to be turning even faster........

Oh I get 18mpg/cdn....

·
Registered
600 Posts
just give yourself a labotimy and call it good

just reading this thread makes me want to relapse

pud-magnet...dont forget....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, to clear it up, those mods is what i have NOW.........I HAVE the body lift, SPOA, CJ springs, AND baby lobster case in it........
so i should get the 5.13's in and put the stock case back in???????
i think i might take out the SPOA just to give it more of a road feel........lol........ not too sure yet, maybe just take out the body lift........... give me your thoughts guys............. i want to keep the 31"s(they measure just under 30") and what gearing should i go with........i wasn't planning on using this for the road except to get to each trail so i didn't look into gearing, just got the lowest ones i coul get.......
l8r
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
600 Posts
31's with the 5.13's are a good roadworthy combo i ran that way for a long time

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
mud-magnet said:
ok, to clear it up, those mods is what i have NOW.........I HAVE the body lift, SPOA, CJ springs, AND baby lobster case in it........
so i should get the 5.13's in and put the stock case back in???????
i think i might take out the SPOA just to give it more of a road feel........lol........ not too sure yet, maybe just take out the body lift........... give me your thoughts guys............. i want to keep the 31"s(they measure just under 30") and what gearing should i go with........i wasn't planning on using this for the road except to get to each trail so i didn't look into gearing, just got the lowest ones i coul get.......
l8r
:flipoff2:
I think what most are saying is .....

NO, leave your baby lobster, in and DONT put in the gears, and just run your tires as is.... and like the others had said get the lift down if you can, BL prolly easiest....

If your looking at a long term collage kinda thing (ie few years) id use as much stock axle/drive line parts as possible so fixes are easier... good luck... have fun....

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Hell, try it a bunch of ways! The body lift goes on / off easy. CJ and spring under still nets some lift doesn't it?

To Titanium, you need an iron ass award! 9 hours! I get fatigued getting thrashed around for an hour driving to town, feels like twice as long of drive as in anything else!

I used to daily drive mine 160 km's a day but haven't done that for at least a year.
Ken

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys.............. i think i'm just going to take out the SPOA and leave everything else.............:flipoff2:
and i figure with the spoa out i'll still have about 5" of lift........still a decent size, but can't run anything i really want......even if i'm keeping the rear locked.......
well l8r all........... i gotta go out and see if i can get the work started...........got quite a bit to do before the may run........wanna have it all ready for then.......:flipoff2: no missing out on the biggest run of the year.......:D
l8r all

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Slowzuki said:

To Titanium, you need an iron ass award! 9 hours! I get fatigued getting thrashed around for an hour driving to town, feels like twice as long of drive as in anything else!

Ken
Sunday 9 hrs to work, Thursday night... 9 hrs home ! I did this with spoa, 31's and the stock 3.73's ! Also drove it from Toronto to Vancouver in 72 hrs flat drafting every thing possible along the way.

Mud-Magnet the 5.13's will do you way better off road than the baby lobster.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its not off-road i'm worried about its highway..............if it was off-road i'd put in both in..........
well the SPOA has to come out first and get the suspension done then get the engine to run as best i possibly can, then its gearing........:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i was expecting cridicism when i seen "mudlite" as late posted...............:flipoff2: , and actually john, i was thinking of buying a civic and leaving the zuki behind the garage till i'm done, but i want the zuki semi capable for the weekends off school.......:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cause where i'm going i know more ppl there that wheel then here, so i want to get my zuki still pretty capable............. and only about anouther day or 2 and it'll be done..........
as of now it has.....:

cj7 front springs up front (SPUA)
yj rears in the back (SPUA)
baby lobster t-case
31" all terrains
2" body lift
sidekick seats(for more comfort for the long weekends drive home)
and its staying olive drab.....just putting on a fresh coat in th espring......
l8r.....
;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yep I run the Civic/Samurai combo. Highly recommended hehehe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts