Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a GPS for my trail rig, there are tons of choices but I need something that will handle the elements so a tablet or phone is out. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
A good hand held might be more useful. It will depend on the maps you get and etc, etc as to how you want to use it. I recently upgraded to a garmin MOntana with a slightly larger screen with Topo maps. I have been using a 76cs with topo, roads and rec, and navigator. I could switch depending what Iwas doing. Important to me was being able to plan and dowload a track....and helpful was finding gas or a ranch house.

I never thought a big screen was helpful as slow as regular wheeling is. I did buy a lowrance for indash, but probably won't install it. Not really needed.

Just me, as I am used to scrolling around to find things. (Not spoiled)

·
Registered
W - W - W - . - I - R - A - T - E - 4 - X - 4 - . - C - O - M
122 Posts
An Android phone or tablet with Gaia GPS. I run that app and love it.

Paired with something like a Delorme Inreach Explorer and you're set for GPS and comms offroad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't think about the added conveniences like gauges and music, now to sort thru the 100's of tablets out there to find one I like.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
The TRX7 is a 7" ruggedized, waterproof, dustproof tablet with integrated RAM mount that supplies waterproof power. With us, you're able to use the map website on your computer, the app on your phone or tablet, and the GPS all in concert and linked to one account profile on our server. We now have over 100,000 OHV trails in our database and will keep adding.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
There's a lot of used lowrance units popping up on my local fishing groups, I guess there's a new unit they all have to have. Are there any differences between the Elite and HDS units for our application? I've only been able to find information regarding the actual sonar functions, not the chart plotter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts