Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like a 302 might be going into the GPW.
Does anyone have any good ideas of what radiator fits well behind this beasties grill?
I seriously doubt that the flathead four rad is going to cut the mustard.. :)

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I picked up a GM radiator off the board here to cool my 4.3 in my 2A. I trimmed out the grill (the shroud that is on it for the stock radiator). It looks like it has plenty of room now. I can email you some pics. My junk still isn't completely assembled, but you will be able to see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Could you either post'em or shoot a copy to me too - I am about to throw a 4.0l into my MB has had some serious fire wall surgery - (as in all was cut out except for a pair of 1ft square patches where the MC of a modern jeep mounts and behind the glovebox- the rest was replaced with a 1" square tube frame and steel diamond plate panels)

I am planning on running two radiators - a small one up front and a bigger one in back...

Matt

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
RustyRig, can you email me some pics too. I have a GPW with a 350 in it and am looking at radiator options as well. I have a GM radiator but I didnt think it would possibly fit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am also looking for a rad for my m38 with a sb350. Novack has one for $225. Before I order one I am going to the auto parts store. A buddy works there and will let me go out back with the tape mesure. I have cut out the shroud and plan on running the biggest rad I can fit.:D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
109 Posts
My dad and I both have M38s. He has a sb327 in his and was using for a long time a 58 Chevy radiator. It ran pretty hot, especially while crawlin'. The radiator guy in town custom built one for him with a special 4 row core, and the tanks are modified Pontiacs of some sort. It runs at about 220 now instead of pegging out and over heating at above 260. The only drawback to his setup is that it hangs about 5 inches below the bottom of the grill. I run the Buick 225 oddfire in my jeep. The radiator is the stock M38 tanks and the same special 4 row core. It runs at 160 to 200 while crawlin. This "special core" has narrower tubes so that you can get the fourth row in there, and yet the air can still get through it to cool it.
In both cases we had to cut out the shrouding that is normally between the grille and the radiator and butted the radiator right behind the grille.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I will snap some pics tonight and post them tomorrow. Something you need to consider though, you have an additional row of pistons. I am only running a V6...I think that you still need to cut that shroud out of the grill, but you will probably still be hard pressed to fit it all in. Are you running an electric fan or pully?

Kevin

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
23" wide 19" high, 2 1" cores ,all welded aluminum constuction,billet filler,americam made blaa blaa blaa shiny pretty thing.
$159.00 delivered and they sell them all day long on E-Bay.
This should stop my overheating

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
usmcdoc14 said:
23" wide 19" high, 2 1" cores ,all welded aluminum constuction,billet filler,americam made blaa blaa blaa shiny pretty thing.
$159.00 delivered and they sell them all day long on E-Bay.
This should stop my overheating

Okay I know what I am getting now..

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
Jason M said:

Okay I know what I am getting now..
your welcome :flipoff2:

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
usmcdoc14 said:

your welcome :flipoff2:
:flipoff2:

Thank you
:D

I was perusing Ebay, Dam there are a lot of good AL radiators on there! I can;t even get one recored for the price of some of the new ones on there.

COOL!

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
The position of the radiator in the last pic is not exact. I think the final location is going to be an inch or two forward. It still leaves me with plenty of room to mount an electric fan on either side.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Thanks for the pics. That ebay radiator looks nice and is probably what I will go with. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I bought a modine from car quest. It is from and 80's sunfire pontiac and when I ordered it from modine I had them put 3 cores in it rather that the stock 2. It keeps the small block right around 208 all day no matter what I am doing.

I went in and asked for their book and got like 500 pages of rad's all different sizes and for eack make, the sunfire 3 core rad was the biggest I could make work..I paid about 150 for it but It has a lifetime warranty and I dont know if you can say the same for the e-bay rads. (Its not AL)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Radiator?

Summit racing has one aluminum,26 wide x19 highfor 169.95. Wouldnt work for my 1963 m-38 because it sits on the cross member. I orderd one for a chevy monza with the 305 v8. It is 26.5 wide and 15 inches tall.Cost me 160.00It is a 3 row. Im using a 1977 cj7 grill and with a little trim i can make it fit. im thinking this should work for a 4.3 chevy?????????

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I bought one on eBay for $80. It was an aluminum GM rad with plastic tanks, but it was new and it fit above the frame and between the fenders. Only catch was it didn't have a filler neck. I had to put one inline in the top hose.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts