Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i built an exo cage for the front portion of my 4runner and an interior cage for the rear. i am planning to bolt the cages together, sandwiching the can back between them with 3/8'' plate. grade 8 to sheer/shatter or grade 5 to bend/stretch when the cage gets 'used'??

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
The grade 5 will yield and fail long before the grade 8 even begins to get into trouble. There is a line between the two scenerios where in a roll the grade 5 mounting points will completely shear, while the grade 8's will hold without hardly any deflection. That's the situation you need to look at.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Grade 8. You don't want the connection point to ever yield. You want the cage material to absorb the impact. Don't compromise at the joint.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Grade 9 I believe? High tensile strength like grade 8 but will bend/stretch a bit before breaking/failing.
Grade 8 is what I'd go with, seem plenty strong if you are using the proper size fastener for the job. IF it breaks you aren't using the right or enough fasteners. Not an engineer, just the way I see it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts