Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with exhaust / suspension clearance on my new buggy with a 5.3. I have looked at shorties and not found anything that I think will work. My chassis has a tube center console / "spine" that I want to route the exhaust through to get it up and out of the way, I will wrap it to keep the heat down. A guy I work with has a GP GXP with a sideways 5.3. The manifolds come together behind the heads and intake, They have them at GM parts direct for $130 each. I would think they would bolt up no problem. Anyone ever seen this done?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some vette ls1 manifolds, and they dump too low. I havent looked at any F body manifolds. There is lots of wasted room in my tube console, so I might as well use it. I was thinking of running one 3" right on top of the tranny and back. Those manifolds look like they would work perfectly. Anyone know why this wouldnt work?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
There's no reason it wouldn't work if where they dump is OK for your application.

It is, however, far easier to route 2 smaller pipes (2.25" or 2.5") than one 3"..

I'm using a f-body manifold on the passenger's side, and a truck manifold on the driver's.. :shaking:

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
dude, thanks for the tech. that wouldhave saved a fawk ton of work for a 5.3 job we did recently. insulate teh inside of you tunnel well too. wrap alone might not be enough.
IMO, $260 is pretty cheap for a set of manifolds that are brand new.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dude, thanks for the tech. that wouldhave saved a fawk ton of work for a 5.3 job we did recently. insulate teh inside of you tunnel well too. wrap alone might not be enough.
IMO, $260 is pretty cheap for a set of manifolds that are brand new.
Ya, I kinda accidentally fell on it. This guy at work got a GXP for his wife and was showing me the motor. My first thought was "those manifolds are exactly what Im looking for". That price isnt bad at all. The x-over pipe is another $109. I would think a muffler shop would be able to make one easy though. I will post up some pics when I get them in.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,168 Posts
You could flip the stock manifolds upside down and run the exhaust over the motor. Atleas thats what I did.

On a side note I may still take the tire, but I have to wait to see if I have a sponsor for this upcoming season befor I know for sure. sorry.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
the other thing you could do is run the opposite side manifold around the front and bottom of the engine, I am doing this on a project I am working on right now.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
way bad ass. id like to see pics of the angle on the drivers side manifold. thats a nice low intake and compact accessories.

send me a pm at work on wednesday to remind me.... I just looked at these before break and I can give you comparison pics :smokin:

the manifold is pretty choked up though compared to others with the same displacement.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I didnt notice it when I first found these, but the pass side has 2 flanges, and both sides feed through the pass side. So, you would have to block off one flange:( Unless you crossed over, and then went from the 2nd flange to the muffler and tailpipe. .... Like it is in the car.....

http://www.gmtuners.com/LS4/exh_manifolds.jpg

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
they will bolt up all gen III (ls1,ls2,ls3,lq4l,q9,lm7) stuff like that swaps. have you thought about swappin the maniflods side to side and upside down so that the point strait up in the rear? im not sure if you have the room under your cowl but you that would shoot them up over the tranny and keep them out of harms way. jsut another thing to rack in your brain good luck........or just get a cheap set of used shorties and build your own...... maybe some used F-body long tubes that way you have a bunch of tube with many diffreant bends just more thinkin out loud

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
keep in mind that these manifolds were designed to support a 300hp 5.3L engine and not much more... hey WILL be the restriction for power levels above that.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
keep in mind that these manifolds were designed to support a 300hp 5.3L engine and not much more... hey WILL be the restriction for power levels above that.
:shaking: NO gen3 maniflolds are some of the best flowing out there many test show that a swap to a shorty gain you nothing. even mid lenghts wont gain ya much, longs yes, but the stock mainfold have been used on turbo vehicles to make over 1000rwhp...:eek::eek: there not that restrictive

·
Registered
142 Posts
Anyone out their have any GXP manifolds? I looked online and they wanted like $140 per side, and collector tube would be seperate,

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
:shaking: NO gen3 maniflolds are some of the best flowing out there many test show that a swap to a shorty gain you nothing. even mid lenghts wont gain ya much, longs yes, but the stock mainfold have been used on turbo vehicles to make over 1000rwhp...:eek::eek: there not that restrictive
On just about any other gen 3 manifold I would agree with what you said.... BUT, until you actually look at these and take some measurements off them I dont think you will understand just how restrictive they are..... if you would like I will get you the diameter of the cross over on them. it's something like 45mm ID... THAT is the restriction I am talking about.

You should do more research on gen III/IV exhausts.... there are more gains with aftermarket parts then you think. :homer:

EDIT: you do know that an exhaust manifold has virtually nothing to do with the amount of power made on a forced induction engine, right?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
On just about any other gen 3 manifold I would agree with what you said.... BUT, until you actually look at these and take some measurements off them I dont think you will understand just how restrictive they are..... if you would like I will get you the diameter of the cross over on them. it's something like 45mm ID... THAT is the restriction I am talking about.

You should do more research on gen III/IV exhausts.... there are more gains with aftermarket parts then you think. :homer:

EDIT: you do know that an exhaust manifold has virtually nothing to do with the amount of power made on a forced induction engine, right?

lol well since i have a 600 HP 402 stroker i built and have been into gen3s for many years doing bolt on to full h/c and tuning with my HPtuners, i got a good handle on them but thanks. (check out ls1tech.com when ya wanna try and keep up on the gen3 gig) and i wasnt talking about the crossover tube only manifolds. and if you think that mainfolds play little part in turbo output buid some log style and tell me how how that turns out for a. :flipoff2: wait a minute i also have had a turbo ls1 before sooooo... hummm. but anyways back to the topic. i still say if there room flip them over and side to side pointed back

1 - 20 of 20 Posts