Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my D44 seems kind of loose up front by the hub, when I recently changed the U Joint, it didn't fix it.. (The U Joint did need replacing.) When you take the hub assembly off, and pull the axle shafts out, what's the plastic seal like piece? It seems to hold everything in place so it doesn't wobble around, when I took it out, this thing was bent and cracked..

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to SAS and 4WD.

I'm just looking for the name of the part..

Hope this is somewhat enough info to get a part name, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
396 Posts
the little seal by the yoke keeps crud out of the tubes...or at least it's supposed to...

sure the wobbling isn't the spindle/spindle bearings, inner or outer wheel brearings, or ball joints? With it put together grab the rotor and work it around. see if you can locate what the source is. I also like to work a pry bar around the ball joints to see if they are worn. Clips installed in the hub, the c-clip on the end of the shaft and the big round wire-looking one that fits on the inside lip of the hub. Once your clips are in, the shafts are pretty much not moving in and out regardless of the shape of the shitty "seal" on the inner shaft.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it, I replaced the U Joints, and that was it. I'm thinking around pay-day, it'll be Ball Joints, U Joints, Bushings, and All Bearing replacement time. Need to go through the whole truck bumper to bumper and figure it all out still.

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you become an International Full-Size Jeep Association (IFSJA.org) member you get discounts from BJ's Offroad. They have kits put together for most of what you'll need for a reasonable price. They also have locations on both coasts so they adjust the shipping to make it cheaper for you.

While you have all that apart, I'd recommend replacing the guide seals on the inner portion of the axle tube. Just pop out the carrier, & pull the shafts out. BJ's has them in stock for less than half the price of the common parts stores where they are never in stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you join the group w/o owning a Jeep?

Like I said, I need to just spend the money and do it all right, rotors are shot w/ rather large grooves in it them. Brakes are bad, etc.

She's going to be sitting for a while.

I really appreciate your advice, i'll definitely join that page (if you can w/o a Jeep.) and look up BJ's.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Absolutely you can join. then call BJ's once you have a screen name with IFSJA and get registered on BJ's site. When they have you listed as an IFSJA member and are logged in, all prices you see will be the discounted price. Log out and you'll see the difference.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just reading along here. Can anyone tell me where to find new spindles and inner/outer wheel bearings for a dana 44 front axel out of a 1975 Wagoneer?? apparently 74-76 doesn't exist! Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
73- early 77 or in the parts catalogs 1976 chevy 1/2 ton pickups use the same small bearing spindle/ bearing/ hub & rotor misc axle parts. ask for that and you’ll find what you need.

if you need spindle heres a few sources below.

as to bearings anything for the above listed vehicle will fit your wagoneer. ball joints wheel bearings, calipers, caliper bracket, spindle, rotors, studs, axle nut, inner bearings, outer stub shaft, snap ring, hub, axle joint..... all the same and just like a motor craft rebuild kit say its for a ford or GM and its less money than if you say JEEP which is just code for stick it in my A$$ and break it off

http://www.durasolid.com/spindle-dana44-GM-small-bearings
Replacement front spindle for Dana 44, GM, 1.625" & 1.785" bearing journals.
WFOconcepts.com

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks, but 74-76 were apparently somehow different and unfortunately not just anything will work. I can find a listing for every year but 74-76...it just skips those years. Nothing from Summit, Yukon, Napa, 4 wheel hardware, Quadratec, Team Wagoneer.....nothing. It's like these years didn't exist.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just reading along here. Can anyone tell me where to find new spindles and inner/outer wheel bearings for a dana 44 front axel out of a 1975 Wagoneer?? apparently 74-76 doesn't exist! Thanks
Pretty sure all the full size Jeeps with the Dana 44 axles used the same spindles and bearings.
Why do you need a new spindles?
I would be willing to bet your bearings are wore out and your outer spindle nut is backing out.
Get new bearings and the Stage8 locking spindle nuts.
Stage 8 Off Road Fasteners | Locking Fastener
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...model=Wagoneer&vi=1184172&year=1975&make=Jeep

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
No, they all didn't use the same spindles.

'74-76 are the small bearing spindles (meaning smaller ID on the inner bearing).

As ddestruel said, Chevy of the same years use the same outer parts. Bearings/wheelbearing/races/wheelbearing hubs/etc...all the same.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The spindles on that axle were clapped out 8 years ago when I put it together...mostly doo to the threads being smoked. At this point, the only reason I want these spindles so bad is because they are turning into a bitch to find!...and they shouldn't be. And what's really pissing me off is that they are readily available for 62-73 and 77-91...they just don't exist for 74-76. Doesn't make sense!

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
shredit is using the small Chevy spindle converted to 5 on 5.5". It was mentioned in another thread. That's what is in every one of those links as well as the one earlier for Complete Offroad.

Either shredit gave Complete offroad the wrong info when they said theirs wouldn't work, or Complete offroad doesn't know what they are talking about.

Neither the small or large bearing spindles are unicorns. I think there's a tad bit of misinformation going on making it appear that they are hard to find.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
shredit is using the small Chevy spindle converted to 5 on 5.5". It was mentioned in another thread. That's what is in every one of those links as well as the one earlier for Complete Offroad.

Either shredit gave Complete offroad the wrong info when they said theirs wouldn't work, or Complete offroad doesn't know what they are talking about.

Neither the small or large bearing spindles are unicorns. I think there's a tad bit of misinformation going on making it appear that they are hard to find.

What CSP said is correct

Ive got 4 different 74-76 waggy front ends i use on various rigs and aside from the axle tube being 2-3/4” on the 74’s and 3” on the 76 Every part is interchangeable, every part is not unique and anything from a equal year chevy front end can be swapped over or made to work other than obviously different length inner shafts. that includes spindles. whoever is giving you info is incorrect, dana 44 knuckles of that era for chevy & jeep are not unique. pre 74 you get into some differences due to drum brakes spindle, but if you have a disc brake small bearing spindle that you slid the ford 5 on 5.5 ford hub/rotor onto there is nothing special about that spindle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts