Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
man...you Cali guys have all the luck. There must be a 100:1 jeeps there vs Texas. I'd love to find one like you have your granddaughter...with a PTO. I dont know if it'll bolt onto a YJ 231. I guess....google here I come

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
man...you Cali guys have all the luck. There must be a 100:1 jeeps there vs Texas. I'd love to find one like you have your granddaughter...with a PTO. I dont know if it'll bolt onto a YJ 231. I guess....google here I come
Today the wife and I are doing a day trip up to the mountains (Big Bear) and we're swinging just to the north of there on the way up to pick up a narrow track D30 front axle with disc brakes to replace the D27/drum brake front on the Jeep.

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got home just after 5pm yesterday and it was still 106*, so we waited until this morning to unload the D30. It's in good shape and came with 2 brand new Super Winch hubs and a spare used one. wilez5150 also through in some bent 1" tubes to make front flat fenders. :D

Attachments

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Made a speed run to Yuma, Az. yesterday and picked up a D18/over drive from Que_Honda!

Attachments

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm really liking where this is going...
Now I just have to find a decent 4.3L Chevy V6 and an offset rear D44 with one piece axle shafts.
Will need a Detroit for the rear and a lockrite for the front. I'm also thinking a YJ hanging brake pedal/vacuum booster.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well, if you're passing through Albuquerque any time soon, I've got a 4.3 that needs a new home, lol. If not, shouldn't be hard to locate.

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, if you're passing through Albuquerque any time soon, I've got a 4.3 that needs a new home, lol. If not, shouldn't be hard to locate.
Albuquerque is a bit far to go for a motor. :flipoff2: All the ones around here I've seen so far are pretty beat with 150K + miles. :(

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You know they make a Deroit for the 30. Does the same thing and is stronger than the lockrite.
And it's twice the price of a Detroit. In a D30 front with 31" or maybe 32" tires a locktite will be just fine. This Jeep ain't going to The Hammers.

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
"This Jeep ain't going to The Hammers." famous last words:D
Yeah, I know. :laughing: Don't think a D30 will cut it on the Hammers no matter what locker. :eek:

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Been doing a bit of research and since I'm having ZERO luck finding an offset D44 rear with one piece shafts from a 70 or 71 CJ5 I'm thinking about Herm the Overdrive Guy's full floater kit. It's definitely cheaper than than a custom rear axle housing and shafts. Anyone have any experience with this kit ?

30 Spline Full Floating Axle Kits | Herm The Overdrive Guy

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Nothing really worth taking pics for. I'm cleaning parts and disassembling the front D30 we got from wilez5150. The D30 is in great shape, even the brake pads look almost new. Still have to figure out the gear ratio to see if I'll need a different carrier or not.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Those D44's are getting harder to find. You might want to try a "WTB" on ECJ5.

·
Non-Lemming
78,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
There was a guy locally who has one for sale awhile back. If you're on facebook his name is Jody Abbott. Shipping would be a pain but on a pallet via fastenal would be cheaper than Herm's full floater kit.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
If you need a carrier, i bought a new spicer unit from summit two days before i bought a complete arb'd chromo'd 30. I was planning to return it to summit until the box was hosed down with pb blaster last night :(

21 - 40 of 317 Posts