Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 317 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
That's a bummer, but better now than later. If you're in that far it's a good time to work the seat area back a bit, and possibly lower. I've always eyeballed the space right behind the riser as being about empty and also being a great place to recess the seats into. Just a thought!
Keep it up, it's looking good. Can't wait to see it go!

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
That's a bummer, but better now than later. If you're in that far it's a good time to work the seat area back a bit, and possibly lower. I've always eyeballed the space right behind the riser as being about empty and also being a great place to recess the seats into. Just a thought!
Keep it up, it's looking good. Can't wait to see it go!
Since I'm eliminating the tool box I'll have to make a new seat frame/mount at least for the passenger side. I'll probably make a whole new one for both seats
out of 1" sq. tubing and move the seats back as far as I can.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
For those that have stuffed a 4.3L Chevy V6 into an early CJ5 will the stock exhaust manifolds work ? They both dump out at the rear where the bellhousing bolts to the engine. Primarily concerned with firewall clearance. I'm thinking maybe some shorty block hugging headers instead.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/snh-cv95-p/overview/make/chevrolet

Attachments

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Some progress this morning. Quit a bit ago when the temp got up to 100*.
Got the entire front clip off. Tomorrow I'll work on getting the tub off.
The only part I'm not sure about is how and where to separate the steering
column from the steering box. Also I got some deliveries yesterday.
A new windshield frame, the upper parts of the windshield hinges and
the riser.

Attachments

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Well, the tub is almost ready to get pulled. Had to cut or grind off all the body bolts because they were so rusty. Got the tunnel plates removed and same for those bolts. Almost all the captive nuts for the tunnel plates were no longer "captive". While I was at it I cut off the old battery tray as it'll be in the way of the bigger radiator. After getting a much closer look at the wiring I decided to not try and save it. 53 years of batching and butchering have taken a toll on it, plus I don't care for all the in-line fuse. I'll get a modern fuse block.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
656 Posts

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
For those that have stuffed a 4.3L Chevy V6 into an early CJ5 will the stock exhaust manifolds work ? They both dump out at the rear where the bellhousing bolts to the engine. Primarily concerned with firewall clearance. I'm thinking maybe some shorty block hugging headers instead.QUOTE]

Check out these headers from Novak. I searched ECJ5 but could not find what others are using.
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/headers/chevy-small-block-v6-headers/
Yeah, I'll probably end up with the shorty block huggers since they dump in the middle.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Progress !!!!!!

I got the tub off the frame this morning, by myself. Used 2 engine hoists and a floor jack. :laughing: That's too much like work for an old fart like me. :flipoff2: Took a good look at the frame/drivetrain and decided to go buy a pressure washer or I'd be taking weeks to clean it up. The accumulation of 53 years is an amazing amount of filth. One thing I did find out, lifting the tub by the "oh shit" handle on the dash is not a good idea. It pulled the nuts on the back of the dash right thru the dash.

Attachments

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Well, some more progress. Pulled the engine/trans/x-fer case this morning.
Sort of surprised with how easy it came out. Set it on a couple of 4x4's
on the edge of the driveway and wrapped it in a tarp. Cut off the old motor
mount brackets, unbolted the stock steering box and brake master cylinder.
I'm looking at cutting as much of the old K-member out as possible and
bolting up a gas tank from a 1972-1975 CJ5 out back. The frame in that
area is the same size so I think it'll fit. The tank also has a provision for a
return fuel line which I'll need for the F.I. on the 4.3L V6. Anyone know
for sure if the '72-'75 tank will fit ? I still need to grind off the remnants
of the old battery box.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
My understanding is the tank will fit if you remove the kmember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #111

My thinking as well. AFAIK the frames of the 72-75 are the same in the rear except for the K member. Besides, getting that "bomb" out from under the driver's ass is a good idea IMO.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I'm beginning to hate the engineers/designers of the early CJ's. It took me 3 hrs this morning to get the dash panel off. They buried 2 bolts underneath at the ends of the dash. They were thru bolts with non-captive nuts. No room for a ratchet and socket. I had to use 2 wrenches and could only turn it 1/4 turn at a time. :mad3: Who the hell designs shit like this ?:rolleyes: Needless to say those bolts aren't going to be there when I reassemble it.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Did a quick calculation of the axle gear ratios this morning and it looks like I have the 4.27:1 which was the optional ratio with the F-head motor.
Undecided whether it's worth the effort/money to change to 4.88 or 5.38 gears since it'll have the SM420 trans with a 7.01:1 first gear. I come up with
a 72:1 low range gear ratio and my 2006 LJ has an 84:1 ratio, which is too low for most things.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You’re going with 33s right? I think you’ll be fine

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
You’re going with 33s right? I think you’ll be fine

Yeah, somewhere in the 31" to 33" range on tires. That will be determined by what size I can find used. The LJ has 35" tires, so that would make a difference.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yeah you’ll be ok I think. Crawling won’t be a problem.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts

The tank will fit with the k member removed. If you move the rear axle back any it gets real close! Mine is back an inch and just scrapes the Dana 44 cover under severe conditions.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
The tank will fit with the k member removed. If you move the rear axle back any it gets real close! Mine is back an inch and just scrapes the Dana 44 cover under severe conditions.
Thanks. I plan on leaving the axle locations (front & rear) stock.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
With the V6 and a granny low I think the Jeep will be more enjoyable with the current gears. It won't rev out as quickly and if you are just pushing 31s or 33s it will be great.

·
Registered
271 Posts
WILLYN said:

Do y’all have a link to where those tanks are available? I’m striking out on a source and am pretty much at the same point.

101 - 120 of 317 Posts