Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of packing your Longfields with grease for you?
We get calls all the time asking what type of grease to use.
You will not believe this BUT we had some birfs come back they didn't use grease at all. So we are going to start packing them with a Mobil Synthetic CV grease. There will be no charge to you. :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Hell ya. it just keeps getting easier. this offer includes both 27 and 30 spline?

I cant beleive that people found out about longs but at the same time didnt think they needed grease? :confused:

when they pulled their old birfs out I wonder what went thru their head as to why the old ones where covered in that sticky goo? :confused:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Would the CV grease be compatible with the lithium based greased used in the knuckle housing? Or better yet, can the CV grease be used in the entire knuckle? I would think the CV grease can withstand higher pressure found in CV joint.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes we are packing all our Longfield birfs with grease.
That means 27 spline
30 spline
FJ80s
and CORES
Yes they say this cv grease is compatible with others. :)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
would wheel bearing grease be ok for the 30 splines? or should i clean them out and re-do them.

also, do you guys fill the whole knuckle with grease?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have been using the Marine stuff in some kind of attempt to waterproof em. I dunno if it is nessasary or does anything but It seemed like a good thought/

Also, yeah it takes a whole tube of grease per birf.

·
Registered
47 Posts
no grease??

im thinking that people that dont know u need to grease ur birfs should wear a helmet and not be near me on trails,or in life lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
I used some grease I picked up at Napa that had that special crap the FSM called for in it. I used a whole can of it per birfield and knuckle, then I used the FSM specified grease for the wheel bearings which is different. So three cans total.

~T.J.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
84Toyota4x4 said:
I used some grease I picked up at Napa that had that special crap the FSM called for in it. I used a whole can of it per birfield and knuckle, then I used the FSM specified grease for the wheel bearings which is different. So three cans total.

~T.J.
3 cans? i think i am doing it wrong, i less than 1 can for all 4 wheel bearings and both birfs. the knuckles bearings were already done. probibly about 1 full can for everything.

how are you getting that much grease in the knuckle itself? i figured if the birfs are packed full with some exrta that should be good. am i wrong?

what is the proper way and amounts?

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
Bmf24 said:
3 cans? i think i am doing it wrong, i less than 1 can for all 4 wheel bearings and both birfs. the knuckles bearings were already done. probibly about 1 full can for everything.

how are you getting that much grease in the knuckle itself? i figured if the birfs are packed full with some exrta that should be good. am i wrong?

what is the proper way and amounts?

No, you didnt do it wrong, He did. You are not supposed to pack the whole knuckle with grease. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Bobby, maybe it would be it would be better if you just do up a little flyer that you throw in the box when you ship them. In the flyer have a write up of how to do everything involved with the install. It wouldnt have to be $$$ or anything, but then you would know that they at least have some instructions to follow, and it would be cheaper than buying all that grease for sure.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Benny said:
No, you didnt do it wrong, He did. You are not supposed to pack the whole knuckle with grease. :rolleyes:
I didnt do it wrong, I was using the FSM when I did my first set. I had completely cleaned out the knuckles and birfields so they were bone dry before reinstalling, and I had the small cans of grease, smaller than the size of a can of peanuts. I never said how big the cans were, or how empty the pieces were, lol. :D

~T.J.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've packed my knuckles pretty good usually. pull the stud out of the top/side of the knuckle, and insert the grease gun tip. I usually try to keep it about 2/3'rds full. More than that will push grease out when you turn. It tends to prevent water from entering anywhere + it helps prevent diff pudding when the inner seal pukes.

I can't believe somebody that actually pulls their axle apart to put in aftermarket ones, wouldn't re-grease. That just boggles my mind

I second the vote on the install sheet. I think it should include like a FAQ for problem solving as well. Like if you can't get your longs in try this, or maybe your Fr*&CKin axle is bent. (speaking from experience)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
youre the man Bobby!!!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
84Toyota4x4 said:
I didnt do it wrong, I was using the FSM when I did my first set. I had completely cleaned out the knuckles and birfields so they were bone dry before reinstalling, and I had the small cans of grease, smaller than the size of a can of peanuts. I never said how big the cans were, or how empty the pieces were, lol. :D

~T.J.
i was 1/2 messing around. i think he was making fun of my post.
and using 3 small cans would probibly be still more than i have used, and i havent ever had a problem. i dont pack the entire knuckle full, all i grease are the brearings and birfs. and i grease them well.

i also say the instruction sheet would be the better route, it saves alot of $ in grease. except then you are assuming people know how to pack a bifr with grease instead of just slapping a little on and installing it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
your also assuming that someone would read instructions that come with a set of birfs i wouldent. pack um at the shop make people think your stuff is that much better

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Your a good man, Bobby Long.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts