Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got some awsome news I got aproved for my loan and Ive got my new axles for my jeep cherokee Ive got a dana 44 front and a dana 60 rear I ordered a Dana 44 tnt front truss system and order some rear spring perches I also ordered my dana 300 flipkit and the clocking ring so I am just about set for some full size axles

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Nice, that sounds like a terrible idea.

Where's the tech?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
So did your budget include alloy shafts and CTM u-joints. If not your 44 has weaker outer shafts and u-joint that are the same strength.

Did you find a rear 60 with 35 spline shafts or does it use the weaker D44 30 spline version.

BTW what size tires are you running, which lockers and what gear ratio?

Answer that and give some details so this post has some tech in it.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Weaker than what?
Then XJ D30 outers. XJ D30's mainly wipe out the ears just like D44 shafts do, but XJ D30 outers dont break the shaft like outers on D44's do.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
The D44 outers are a little bigger at the major diameter (1-1/4" vs. 1-5/32" for the D30), but IIRC the coarse 19 spline D44 outers go just a little deeper than the smaller 27-spline D30 outers. Which is why people will usually twist off the 44 stub right at the splines where the inner diameter is smallest.

There's also a neckdown on the D44 inners that isn't present on the D30 inners; it basically makes them the same size at the smaller diameter so there's no clear advantage. Some newer axles and most aftermarket ones address this.

I was always breaking U-joints with my Dana 30. In 5 axle u-joint breakages (leading to one hub and one balljoint failure as well), I never once broke an axleshaft before the u-joint. In my case this made a D44 a pretty worthless upgrade because I wasn't doing anything to directly fix the problem I was having...if I was breaking u-joints with a D30, I had no reason to expect any better results with a D44. Granted, the aftermarket stuff for the D44 trumps the D30 for sure, hence why TJP brought up the additional cost. There's very little advantage if you compare them stock vs. stock.

I would also say that setting aside the lump sum from a loan to do a project like this is a great way to ensure that you'll cut corners and do things as cheaply as possible. Even if you've added up how much you think it will cost, be prepared to spend at least double that to get it done to the point where it was worth doing at all.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Yeah man, much rather do the looong save and then build. I'd never wheel a rig I am making payments on and sure as hell not get a loan for crap for my Jeep.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Then XJ D30 outers. XJ D30's mainly wipe out the ears just like D44 shafts do, but XJ D30 outers dont break the shaft like outers on D44's do.
The stub shafts of the D30 don't break as often because they are entirely "encased" by the unit bearing. On a stock D44, the neck down portion in the spindle creates room for the shaft to distort.

I never ran stock D44 shafts. I built my straight off with Chromolly shafts. I don't see the point in building a D44 and sticking with stock junk shafts.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The stub shafts of the D30 don't break as often because they are entirely "encased" by the unit bearing. On a stock D44, the neck down portion in the spindle creates room for the shaft to distort.

I never ran stock D44 shafts. I built my straight off with Chromolly shafts. I don't see the point in building a D44 and sticking with stock junk shafts.
That was my point exactly... :flipoff2: I make the following statement which made you feel the need to ask me the question "weaker than what?"

So did your budget include alloy shafts and CTM u-joints. If not your 44 has weaker outer shafts and u-joints that are the same strength.

It seems like you already know the answer so why ask it... :shaking:

Maybe you should have stated to make sure he budgets for good axles since you "don't see the point in building a D44 and sticking with stock junk shafts" like I had already said....:flipoff2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts