Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to a state park ranger this week. Apparently DMV will be issuing green stickers to all ATV and bikes that are 2002 and older due to problems at the DMV. They are going to start the red/green sticker thing for 2003 and newer bikes.

HOPE he was right. The ranger informed me ATV and bike owners would be receiving something from DMV regarding this soon.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
That would be SWEET....Of course I already have a Green Sticker and I thought the law passed that once green always green?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
dmv has been sending out red stickers for bikes that were given a green sticker when they should have been issued a red they are doing this when you pay for your next registration sticker

look at your vin # if the 8th digit is a "3" or a "C" dmv will not give you a green sticker again

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone will supposedly receive a green sticker according to the ranger. As you know, things were screwed up, they made mistakes and didn't give out the right color sticker. If the ranger was correct, all 2002 and older bikes will be grandfathered in like they did with 1998 and older bikes originally.

It's like the smog check rules. It was originally 1965 and older that didn't need smog checks. and they changed it to 1973 and older vehicles.

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
Well mine is "supposed" to be a RED with the 8th digit being a 3 or C. My buddys bike is the same way and he got a Green the 2nd time around and he had a green to start with.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
John said:
Everyone will supposedly receive a green sticker according to the ranger. As you know, things were screwed up, they made mistakes and didn't give out the right color sticker. If the ranger was correct, all 2002 and older bikes will be grandfathered in like they did with 1998 and older bikes originally.

It's like the smog check rules. It was originally 1965 and older that didn't need smog checks. and they changed it to 1973 and older vehicles.
i hope that do give 2002 and older green stickers

my 1997 polaris 2 stroke has a red sticker and all the documented information that i have been able to find says 1997 and newer are red sticker so i am stuck with a red sticker till the law changes

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
In general the DMV does not know what they are doing regarding the various green/red stickers. You really should be getting red stickers since 97 I believe but look how many have green. And then you have the guys with green getting red on renewal and some get green! If 2002 and back is green thats great news! Wish they would make mistakes regarding the need to "Smog Check required" too!

Jason :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
there trying to repeal the no smog for 73 and older here is an e-mail i recieved about it
chuck

California Senate Bill 708 will repeal the
1973-and-earlier smog exemption, require biennial smog
exemptions for all 1955-and-up cars and require EGR
equipment to be retrofitted to all 1972 and earlier
cars. For many 1972 and earlier cars, this means they
will not be eligible for registration at all, since
EGR systems will not function properly with their
original design. Clearly, this is another attempt by
the California legislature to take pre-smog-era cars
off the road.

The proof is right here, on their own website:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_0701-0750/sb_708_bill_20030221_introduced.html

Please call or Email your California state Senator and
Assemblyperson and express your extreme displeasure
with this bill. This is a matter of urgency, since
they're trying to push through this legislation while
noone is paying attention.

Go to this link:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/memberinfo

to find your assembly members and email them.

Let's organize and let them know we won't take this
anymore. Please Email your friends and make sure
EVERYONE knows what's happening here!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
All 1997-2002 non-street legal bikes will be grandfathered Green Stickers

All 1997-2002 non-street legal motorcycles will be grandfathered Green Stickers.

This was the message given to attendees of the OHV Enforcement Workshop in Sacramento.

This change will make them legal for year-round riding in the entire state (no seasonal restrictions for 1997-2002 bikes).

The CA DMV made too many errors issuing red and green stickers incorrectly. Enforcement is impossible, and impractacle, given the low frequency of riding that some of these bikes experience (who can tell much past the model year, five years from now).

The official release announcement should occur before the end of March.

The legal noise limits were also lowered.

Less noise -- More trails.

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Re: All 1997-2002 non-street legal bikes will be grandfathered Green Stickers

Ed A. Stevens said:

The legal noise limits were also lowered.

Less noise -- More trails.

Lowered to what? Most bikes are not meeting the noise at level at 96 db.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Re: Re: All 1997-2002 non-street legal bikes will be grandfathered Green Stickers

Scouter said:

Lowered to what? Most bikes are not meeting the noise at level at 96 db.
The old rule was 101 dbA, the new rule is 96 dbA.

This is 96 dbA at 20 inches from the pipe exit. I understand the workshop included training on the sound testing procedure (and they plan rigid enforcement of the rule.)

More info can be found at CA State Parks OHMVR Division

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Re: Re: Re: All 1997-2002 non-street legal bikes will be grandfathered Green Stickers

Ed A. Stevens said:

The old rule was 101 dbA, the new rule is 96 dbA.

This is 96 dbA at 20 inches from the pipe exit. I understand the workshop included training on the sound testing procedure (and they plan rigid enforcement of the rule.)

More info can be found at CA State Parks OHMVR Division

Happy Trails!
The 96 db is too low! I can't pass (new, stock KX500 with new turbine core) and nobody makes a silencer that will make my bike pass. I watched 12 bikes get tested two weeks ago at Praire City and only 1 bike passed. I guess we will all get green stickers and go to the parks; we just can't start our bikes:rolleyes:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ed,

Thank you for explaining it better than I did. I am upset they are changing the 73 and older vehicle rules. Please, everyone write your government representatives!!!! The more letters they get the better. No letters or calls ==== the law passing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
1974 isn't exempt yet

according to the original law that passed, only 1973 and older are exempt until 2004, then supposedly it will move to 1974, I wouldn't bank on it though. those assholes keep fighting it and we all know we can't count on anything for sure ever! SO CALL, WRITE, E-MAIL, AND FOLLOW THE UP-DATES. we know the close-minded self rightous fascists are calling and writing.:mad:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
ih4x4 said:
there trying to repeal the no smog for 73 and older here is an e-mail i recieved about it
chuck

California Senate Bill 708 will repeal the
1973-and-earlier smog exemption, require biennial smog
exemptions for all 1955-and-up cars and require EGR
equipment to be retrofitted to all 1972 and earlier
cars. For many 1972 and earlier cars, this means they
will not be eligible for registration at all, since
EGR systems will not function properly with their
original design. Clearly, this is another attempt by
the California legislature to take pre-smog-era cars
off the road.

The proof is right here, on their own website:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_0701-0750/sb_708_bill_20030221_introduced.html

Please call or Email your California state Senator and
Assemblyperson and express your extreme displeasure
with this bill. This is a matter of urgency, since
they're trying to push through this legislation while
noone is paying attention.

Go to this link:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/memberinfo

to find your assembly members and email them.

Let's organize and let them know we won't take this
anymore. Please Email your friends and make sure
EVERYONE knows what's happening here!
i just sent a letter to my assembleyman John Laird.

i kind of think it sucks. tell me what you think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

California Senate Bill 708
----------------------------------------------------------------------

please do not repeal the 73 and older smog exemption.

it is not practical to expect these vehicales that would all have to be retrofitted with smog restricting devices that they were not originaly designed for.

there are better ways to reduce smog. i'm sure you know of some. i can recomend some if you would like. to ask this of the small population of collector car enthusists is discrimination.

the percentage of these vehicales is very small and it is my firm belief that this act would have little or no impact on the smog levels in california.

classic car enthusiasts are only guilty of recycling old and fun cars. please do not make it that they are guilty of polluting our air.

·
Registered
221 Posts
you'll probably get a return letter thanking you for your input and that they are doing everything they can to accomodate the the honest citizens, or something like that. I did , but I think it all helps and I'm glad to see such support on the POR and for showing some effort to even write.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts