Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an opportunity to turn this around! Whether you agree with the work Daphne has done or not, the political fact is the state WILL try to strip the OHV program of ALL of it's funding with the leadership out of the way. That means no money to the Forest, County, or SVRA parks. This is huge!!! Let's show them that even if she is gone the voice of the people will ring loudly!!! You may not take our money!!

Help Daphne Greene stay in her role as Deputy Director of California State Parks OHV Division. PLEASE email Veronica Ortiz-Torres who is the deputy appointments secretary. Relate any thing you may know about how good Daphne is for OHV and your experiences. Include family/kid pictures too!!

Simply out the future of the OHV program is in your hands, make a difference today!!!!!

State Capitol, Suite 1173
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 445-2841
Fax: (916) 558-3160
Veronica Ortiz-Torres, Deputy Appointments Secretary

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Mine

Veronica,

I have had the pleasure of working with Daphne Greene on OHV issues in regards to the Rubicon Trail in El Dorado County and Eldorado National forest. Daphne has brought a level of service to her position as Deputy Director that will be and has been unequaled for many decades, both present and future. That may sound like a big statement, but the reality is that she is untiring in her dedication to the public service position that a former Governor appointed her to almost 8 years ago.

Please reconsider her appointment to this position and find her capable and able to continue as Deputy Director of the OHV Division of State Parks. These times are tough all around and this program supports many thousands of California residents that use the National Forests in California as well as many SVRA parks and County OHV parks. To put it simply. the public deserves the level of service that Daphne is capable of and she is willing to continue as Deputy Director.

Thank you for your time,

Scott Johnston
El Dorado County resident
Friends of the Rubicon
Rubicon Trail Foundation
California Association of 4 wheel Drive Clubs
California Off Road Vehicle Association
Blue Ribbon Coalition

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A letter sent to many California Sheriffs

Folks,

On Friday something happened that is a terrible blow for all of us who have any involvement in recreation. Daphne Greene, Director of State Parks and Rec OHMVR Division in Sacramento was told her tenure would be ending on December 31. This is a terrible blow for recreation. In her nearly eight years as head of the OHMVR Division she has sculpted a fabulous program that, like the phoenix, rose from the ashes of the previous Director. The program was in shambles when she took over. This lady has devoted her life to creating a wonderful program that we all are proud of and one that is working. She is the model of bi-partisan in her dealings with both the enviro community and the motorized recreational community. She has been one step ahead of every issue and a fabulous champion for managed recreation. She has never been afraid to stand up for what is right. She has also stood fast against the powers that be when they have tried to raid the fund of the money used to provide the citizens of this state recreational opportunities.

Without this woman at the helm the question arises as to who will be appointed to take her place. There are a number of people waiting to fill the position, none of whom would be easy to work with. Our concern is that this could lead to the pot being raided and eventually fade away. That would be the funds for operations and maintenance of the current programs, law enforcement money, and the funds used to educate the public on all aspects of recreational uses, including safety.

I am now asking you to contact the State Sheriff's Association offering your support and endorsement of this great leader and do whatever you have within your power to help us stop this travesty. We are all losers if we allow this to happen.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
I will send her one shortly.

what about trying to get the County to send a letter?
think they would do it?

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are on it!! Hit everyone you can think of. Send letters to your legislator to support Daphne. If there is enough support the decision can be reversed by the governor. The Governor, I hear has supported her and the Divisions work, so this is a pure political move. These kinds of decisions made by the appointments Secretary have been overturned before, it CAN happen.

Let's not let this steam roll over us!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
We are on it!! Hit everyone you can think of. Send letters to your legislator to support Daphne. If there is enough support the decision can be reversed by the governor. The Governor, I hear has supported her and the Divisions work, so this is a pure political move. These kinds of decisions made by the appointments Secretary have been overturned before, it CAN happen.

Let's not let this steam roll over us!!
Help me out here!

The last time I looked, the Appointments Secretary works for the Governor. The Governor makes the ultimate decision. The Appoinments Secretry is nothing more than a "clearing-house" for the Governor to make political appointments.

If Governor Brown supported Ms. Green and the Division's work; I don't see how the staff could overrule the Governor?

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Mine . . .

Veronica Ortiz-Torres
Deputy Appointments Secretary

Dear Ms. Ortiz-Torres:

The recent appointment termination announced by Governor Brown of OHMRV Division Deputy Director Ms. Daphne Greene is very disconcerting to off-highway vehicle enthusiasts.

We urge that the decision be rescinded and fully support the continued leadership of Ms. Greene as Deputy Director of the OHMVR Division.

Ms. Greene has proven to be a highly capable director utilizing her well-balanced management skills, strong sense of purpose and direction to build a successful program.

Given the financial problems faced by our State programs for years it is a huge mistake to discard someone who has been so successful in sculpting a model program that has ensured continued recreational opportunities during tough times in California.

Please ensure that Governor Brown understands how disappointed we are with this decision.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXX

·
Phobohomic
1,247 Posts
certified letter to my reps. heck with secretaries:D

Honorable Senator

As a fourth generation Native Northern (confident you know the distinction) Californian, outdoorsman, taxpayer and voter, I have deep concerns over Governor Brown's recent announcement that appointment of Daphne Greene as deputy director of the OHMVR Division of State Parks will be terminated on January 1, 2012.

I am seeking your assistance via the powers entrusted to you by the voters of our district and request that you endorse or help facilitate the reappointment of Daphne Greene as Deputy Director of the OHMVR Division within State Parks.

Through my personal observations of the actions of Daphne (and her staff), she has continued to demonstrate strong leadership and integrity to build a model program that is solvent with self-sustaining funding from the user community. I am also particularly appreciative of her concern for the environment while balancing the needs of OHV users.

In this unsettling period of budgetary distress, it is alarming to contemplate the risks of replacing an experienced, effective administrator like Ms. Greene.

Should you need further information or testament, I am available to meet with you at your earliest convenience and look forward to hearing the results of your efforts on my behalf.

Constituently yours,

Dale B. Robins

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Another good place to send an email is the California Natural Resources Agency. The Parks and Recreation department falls under this agency. John Laird is the head honcho there.

email: [email protected]

Ride on
Brewster

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Done......

This is a mess :mad3:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Maybe the letters will be presented to the Gov. by staff???
I spoke directly to his staff on this twice this week. As well shared the concern of many.
jason

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
"404 Not Found"

Link not working . . .

Is this the link contents?

The Buzz: Off-road enthusiasts urge Jerry Brown to rethink California official's dismissal

Published: Saturday, Dec. 17, 2011 - 12:00 am | Page 3A

A week after Gov. Jerry Brown dismissed the deputy director of the state's off-road vehicle recreation program, the chairman of the California Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission is criticizing the decision and urging Brown to reconsider.

Eric Lueder told Brown in a letter Friday that it was with "great shock and sadness" that he learned of Daphne Greene's dismissal, effective at the end of this month.

Lueder said accusations that Greene catered to off-road enthusiasts at the expense of environmental concerns were unfounded.

"Ms. Greene exemplifies what is right in state government and should be held up as a model employee/manager for all others to aspire to," Lueder wrote.

Greene, a Democrat, was appointed by Brown's predecessor, Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

She was praised by off-road enthusiasts but sometimes criticized by environmentalists.

In a guest op-ed in The Bee in June, Karen Schambach, California director of Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, accused Greene of hoarding money within her division while other park programs suffered from state budget cuts.– David Siders

Source: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/17/4128694/the-buzz-off-road-enthusiasts.html

1 - 20 of 52 Posts