Pirate 4x4 banner

Greenhorn Clean up day Sep 22nd!

4K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  htek 
#1 ·
I know there are quite a few of you in the Nor Cal area that use this area to play around in, not to mention the gathering out at Greenhorn during the Winter Fun Fest. I talked to a local guy up there last weekend and he was saying that some of the locals were complaining about the trash and idiots down there, so I figured the least we could do is a good 'ol clean up day to keep the locals at bay.

It shouldn't take much to get this place somewhat cleaned up so we should have plenty of time for some wheeling afterwords. Last weekend I took out a trash bag full and then some. This didn't even put a dent in it! I know I can get at least 3-4 rigs to go so let's get some more people out there.

Please post up any questions and if you would like to help out. We are running out of places like this for quickie day trips, so let's not let this place get out of hand.

#2 ·
Greenhorn cleanup..!

Sign me up..! I'll bring my 4x4 tacoma truck to carry the junk\crap\garbage out. I'll buy a roll or box of HD garbage bags too.

I'd be willing to haul off one of the junk cars that's in the riverbed out of there if I could use someone flatbed. Hopefully it's got a winch on it too..?

-Bruce

#13 ·
Greenhorn cleanup..!

Are you inviting us up to your pad to chill and have a few beers afterwards..? :laughing:

-bruce

#7 ·
I would help but im going out of the country. More and more trash has been accumulating out there. Last time I was there on my bike I noticed a lot at the camp site up on the hill where the bowl is. I hate these ass hats that leave all this crap at places and eventually get them closed down. This is one of the only fun spots in the area left where we can got to play and wheel a little or ride motorcycles. Keep up the gooood work and next time im in my truck ill help out.

#8 · (Edited)
Don't pick up any of the old cans from the mining era, i think it adds character to the place.

by the way i was down there yesterday with my brother whos back from afghanistan and i wanted to show him this mine shaft me and a couple of friends walked through. Its the big one off to the right up a small road near the sluethbox. I went down there and found that the road has been widened and has a nice big green gate across it. Whats going on there? someone building a house?
I guess the Brady's did find a buyer of some of their land. So i guess the sluethbox and the old mine shaft are out of the question now. :( That was my favorite area of greenhorn too.

#9 ·
Cobra5.0Jeep, pm me, I am curious on where you live and the mining tunnel you speak of. I'll share my knowledge of the area :smokin:
Bebe, going up? I have housing/recreation for you and yours :D
Rick-

#12 · (Edited)
Count me in. I grew up a mile or two from there and still go up there wheeling and riding dirt bikes on a regular basis.

AFAIK, the sluice box area is private property, as is most of the land up there unfortunately. The rest is BLM. It appears they did some brush clearing, road building, and gating to try to sell it since there are a bunch of realty signs around it. There are a lot of realty signs in other locations in the area too. I really hope it doesn't get filled with houses. Anyone who isn't aware that this is a busy (unofficial) OHV area is going to be very unhappy when they move in...

There is a HUGE amount of trash dumped up there that has been accumulating for decades. The creek area has been cleaned up occasionally, but the rest out in the woods on private property pretty much sits... and unfortunately, the "offroaders" get the blame. It could get very expensive trying to haul it all out. I'm talking a hundred cubic yards or more spread out in different areas I've explored around there...

Also, I believe Hansen Brothers (the company harvesting gravel downstream) usually hauls the cars to the Nevada City side of the Red Dog crossing, and the county hauls them out, so we can probably do the same. There might be legal issues if you try to haul it out yourself, since a lot of those vehicles have been stolen and dumped. I know of a vehicle down off Lowell Hill road at Steephollow Creek (a similar creekbed a couple of miles away) that would be good to haul out of there too.

You guys organizing this might want to contact the Grass Valley Four Wheelers http://www.nccn.net/~gv4w/ and find out who in the Govt. they usually work with and see if they are interested in helping. I know OOP's on here wheels with them sometimes....

The Nevada County Woods Riders might be interested in this cleanup as well:
http://www.woodsriders.org/

#17 ·
I've been wanting to get up and check that area out. I'll try and make it if work permits.

#24 ·
Not sure what time we will be there, Moms at Sierra Nevada Hospital right now, but we WILL be there! with the EB :D We will have plenty of bags to offer up for the helpers! and my offer still stands for the workers :smokin:
Rick-

#28 ·
I'll be there early AM too (things are better here). The local paper today, Union, says a weekend river cleanup is this weekend, Greenhorn, Yuba, etc, heard the burnt rigs are gone now too. Anyways, we can clean up the outskirts :smokin:
Rick-

#31 ·
Greenhorn cleanup..!

Well.. I have to remove myself from the list. Plans changed and I'm up in Oregon.

-Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.