Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Is it an OHV area? Is there a club that takes care of it? It looked really clean, almost like it was maintained....I was very impressed.
Are we talking about the same greenhorn here? Clean? how did you miss the 2 dozen burn't cars, piles of shell casings and beer cans?

To be perfectly honest greenhorn is turning into a shithole since it has grown in popularity over the last 10 years. It used to be just a few local boys with pickups... the problems were the same, burnt cars, shell casings and cans... just on a much smaller scale.

But I digress.... A couple things on greenhorn if anyone cares:

• If you take a left at the YouBet bridge, you are heading into the Hansons Brothers gravel pit. It is private property and you arent supposed to be there. Hansons owns the majority of the creek bed from Rollins lake to Red Dog road. It used to be no big deal until a small kid on a motorcycle turned a corner and got smoked by a gravel truck. Now they are pretty anal about people being down there.
  • Most everything on the YouBet side of the creek is on private property. This includes the eliminator, the crevis (sluice), and the majority of the other cool stuff down there. It has never been a problem in the past wheelin this area, but as of two weeks ago, looks like that whole hillside is for sale. I smell some big changes coming...
  • I THINK (couldnt find a BLM map) that much of the creekbed from RedDog to Buckeye is a mix between BLM and private the whole way... But unless your on a bike or a quad, its just not that much fun...
  • There are lots of caves if you can find them... many of them go nowhere while others can be followed all the way through... They are very cool - dont wreck them and dont leave your shit (beer cans) in there.

Greenhorn is still cool... but it sure might not be around for much longer.

-justin

·
flamethrower
12,606 Posts
Are we talking about the same greenhorn here? Clean? how did you miss the 2 dozen burn't cars, piles of shell casings and beer cans?
Nope.....saw 2 cars, picked up a couple of cans, a plastic bag. That was about it. We came down red dog, turned left, went all the way back until we couldn't get any further (box canyon).

Did not go the other way. Played around a red dog, had lunch, played some more.

The water was pretty high in places, that's what made it fun. The little hill climbs are fun too.

I'll see if I can get my topo software to work. Check out the BLM stuff.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

To be perfectly honest greenhorn is turning into a shithole since it has grown in popularity over the last 10 years. It used to be just a few local boys with pickups... the problems were the same, burnt cars, shell casings and cans... just on a much smaller scale.

But I digress.... A couple things on greenhorn if anyone cares:

• If you take a left at the YouBet bridge, you are heading into the Hansons Brothers gravel pit. It is private property and you arent supposed to be there. Hansons owns the majority of the creek bed from Rollins lake to Red Dog road. It used to be no big deal until a small kid on a motorcycle turned a corner and got smoked by a gravel truck. Now they are pretty anal about people being down there.
  • Most everything on the YouBet side of the creek is on private property. This includes the eliminator, the crevis (sluice), and the majority of the other cool stuff down there. It has never been a problem in the past wheelin this area, but as of two weeks ago, looks like that whole hillside is for sale. I smell some big changes coming...
  • I THINK (couldnt find a BLM map) that much of the creekbed from RedDog to Buckeye is a mix between BLM and private the whole way... But unless your on a bike or a quad, its just not that much fun...
  • There are lots of caves if you can find them... many of them go nowhere while others can be followed all the way through... They are very cool - dont wreck them and dont leave your shit (beer cans) in there.

Greenhorn is still cool... but it sure might not be around for much longer.

-justin
I've only seen a couple cars too and i believe that whole hillside has been for sale for a long ass time. I've seen signs on it for atleast 6 months. I'm not sure anyone would buy that land cause you can't really do anything with it. Maybe the Brady's will buy it since they own 90% of that land anyways.

·
flamethrower
12,606 Posts
Looks like our group is going to head out to Bowman Lake instead.

We just don't feel right wheeling somewhere where we are not supposed to be. It's too risky, not to mention "illegal".

I contacted Cal4WD, they said find somewhere else, so that's what we are doing.

·
Registered
240 Posts

We just don't feel right wheeling somewhere where we are not supposed to be. It's too risky, not to mention "illegal".

I contacted Cal4WD, they said find somewhere else, so that's what we are doing.
Bowman Lake is pretty cool. I don't think it is really a fun adventure if you want to 4x4 and I think it is probably still too cold to play in the water. When you see folks hauling travel trailers it takes some of the fun out of it.

There is one decent trail if you keep going past the campground.

A trail I did 2 weeks ago was pretty cool. It was Mendocino Road 431 from Usal Beach to Mattole Beach. Pretty much your basic forest road with great views. There was one section of 12-18" of clay that had me puckering. I do have some pictures and videos of both Bowman and Usal Road if you are interested.

·
flamethrower
12,606 Posts
Bowman Lake is pretty cool. I don't think it is really a fun adventure if you want to 4x4 and I think it is probably still too cold to play in the water. When you see folks hauling travel trailers it takes some of the fun out of it.

There is one decent trail if you keep going past the campground.

A trail I did 2 weeks ago was pretty cool. It was Mendocino Road 431 from Usal Beach to Mattole Beach. Pretty much your basic forest road with great views. There was one section of 12-18" of clay that had me puckering. I do have some pictures and videos of both Bowman and Usal Road if you are interested.

Definitley interested, thank you.

There is a road from Bowman Lake down to Meadow Lake ? I've seen it, but wondering how passable it would be.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We came down red dog, turned left, went all the way back until we couldn't get any further (box canyon).
The area you describe is perfectly legal. I didn't mean to deter you from Greenhorn... There is still quite a bit of legal area, its just diminishing.

How are you planning to get in there? They block off Bowman Road for snowmobilers about 3 or 4 miles in. The other popular option is head up the backside through graniteville. But that is a long trip. There is probably about 4 feet of snow up there around 5400 feet. It was super soft last weekend, and can't imagine what its going to be like this weekend with all the warm weather.

There is a road from Bowman Lake down to Meadow Lake ? I've seen it, but wondering how passable it would be.
There are at least two possible routes from Meadow Lake to Bowman. If its passable depends on your rig. Like I mentioned, I was up near that area last weekend in an XJ on 35's locked front and rear and the soft snow gave me hell. But hey, if your rig is up for it then it should be passable.

Have fun!

-Justin

·
flamethrower
12,606 Posts
The area you describe is perfectly legal. I didn't mean to deter you from Greenhorn... There is still quite a bit of legal area, its just diminishing.

How are you planning to get in there? They block off Bowman Road for snowmobilers about 3 or 4 miles in. The other popular option is head up the backside through graniteville. But that is a long trip. There is probably about 4 feet of snow up there around 5400 feet. It was super soft last weekend, and can't imagine what its going to be like this weekend with all the warm weather.

There are at least two possible routes from Meadow Lake to Bowman. If its passable depends on your rig. Like I mentioned, I was up near that area last weekend in an XJ on 35's locked front and rear and the soft snow gave me hell. But hey, if your rig is up for it then it should be passable.

Have fun!

-Justin
Bowman:

The road to Washington off 20, then taking a right at the 21/50. Late February we got past Bowman, almost to the crest of the hill, and couldn't go any further. I have 35's but only locked in the rear. About 4 ft of sugar snow, we weren't going anywhere.

Meadow Lake:

On one of my gazetter maps it shows a road heading south just past Bowman. Is this the best road?

Greenhorn:

Well, I just found Red Dog Rd., Banner Lava Cap on the TNF Map (North Bloomfield Quadrant?) shows as a "other" service Rd. I'll call them and get their version. But it does look legal. If I can get some clarification we may still head out for some playtime.

Thanks for being so helpful.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is a min shaft, my buddy lives about 1/4 miles up from greenhorn, he has his own hill climp to his trailer from greenhorn, there is a few mine shafts on his land as well

<br>
some pictures from my camera phone, of this past weekend, anyone ever been on this trail?

I almost rolled my truck on it's side the night before, there is a real deep rut section, and my front tire slipped into the rut, and my rear passenger tire was about 7 feet in the air... was pretty narly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
goin sat evening. green cheby luv on 40" boggers, 1st gen toy black on 37, grizzly camo, and whoever else decides to go. Rock n Roll offroad group. does anybody know where the intimidator is. the luv wants to break shiat. thanks c yall sat night.

hey i saw you guys up there, I gave that kid a beer who rolled in black yota in the crack, where the girl in the jeep was at...

if you guys were around on sunday, me and my buddy in his red 84 on 33's were fucking around with the hill climbs....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Bowman:

The road to Washington off 20, then taking a right at the 21/50. Late February we got past Bowman, almost to the crest of the hill, and couldn't go any further. I have 35's but only locked in the rear. About 4 ft of sugar snow, we weren't going anywhere.

Meadow Lake:

On one of my gazetter maps it shows a road heading south just past Bowman. Is this the best road?

Greenhorn:

Well, I just found Red Dog Rd., Banner Lava Cap on the TNF Map (North Bloomfield Quadrant?) shows as a "other" service Rd. I'll call them and get their version. But it does look legal. If I can get some clarification we may still head out for some playtime.

Thanks for being so helpful.
From my recollection once you get to Bowman Lake the only way to get out without back tracking is to either take NF 76 or go to Jackson Meadows Reservoir. The road to the reservoir is the one I was talking about earlier. Some of the maps show them going through but they are hiking trails.

Here is a quad map of the route I took.
Bowman

The Bloomfield Rd route up there is nice one time but it is long (40 miles) and not very technical. It may be exciting with snow on the ground though.

I may wait until I hear that they have stocked the lake before I venture up there again though.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
There is a min shaft, my buddy lives about 1/4 miles up from greenhorn, he has his own hill climp to his trailer from greenhorn, there is a few mine shafts on his land as well

<br>
some pictures from my camera phone, of this past weekend, anyone ever been on this trail?

I almost rolled my truck on it's side the night before, there is a real deep rut section, and my front tire slipped into the rut, and my rear passenger tire was about 7 feet in the air... was pretty narly.
Is that the shaft off to the left of Red Dog as your going down to the riverbed? I heard it has a ladder. I haven't been in that one yet, i was in the one off to the right up that trail. Its like a mile long or something and doesn't go anywhere because of debris piling up inside it.
I know what trail you were on with your rig, i've driven on that one before.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

<br>

YEA MY BUDDY FLOPPED HIS LIME GREEN EXOED LUV GETTING AROUND THE CORNER AT THE END OF THE DEEEEEEEEP RUT. HOW U LIKE THE MANZANITTA.

·
Registered
145 Posts
creeek creeeeeeek scrape scrape, that manzanitta wont be there much longer, my friend is gonna clean it up a little bit... because he got wipped in the face riding his bike threw there.... dont blame him that this connected some cracks on my windsheild and broke my mirror =)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is that the shaft off to the left of Red Dog as your going down to the riverbed? I heard it has a ladder. I haven't been in that one yet, i was in the one off to the right up that trail. Its like a mile long or something and doesn't go anywhere because of debris piling up inside it.
I know what trail you were on with your rig, i've driven on that one before.
i believe this one was, we had to drive up a small creek, like literally drive up the creek to this one... then if you go down red dog up over the top to the fire road there is another shaft up there somewhere.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
i believe this one was, we had to drive up a small creek, like literally drive up the creek to this one... then if you go down red dog up over the top to the fire road there is another shaft up there somewhere.
Was the small creek right next to a road? I wanna walk through all the shafts down there. I am not sure what fire road your talking about they all seem to be fire roads breaking off red dog lol.
The one i walked through was right there were the second creek runs underneath red dog, Theres two roads to the right the first one goes straight up the hill and looks kinda freaky it goes to what people call the sluice, theres a huge shaft up there you can walk through that is filled with water and ends in a dead end unless you want to crawl on your stomach.
Right past that road is another road that goes up the side of the hill and at the beginning it has a gate, that road leads to the Intimidator. Just past that road on the left on the other side of the creek running along the road there is another shaft.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts