Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m heading to Greenhorn with some friends at the end of the month. I’ve never been there so I have no clue what I’m in for. I figure I can’t go wrong if I bring the bare necessities dirtbikes, guns and beer. Anyone have any info they’d like to share about that area. How’s the riding there? Camping? RV friendly?

Thanks in advance :smokin:

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Watch where you shoot, there are houses around there... Im not even sure if you are allowed to shoot down there.

I am not sure camping is alowed either.... I know the sheriffs have run us out of there late at night a couple times.

But I have not been there for a few years so who knows...

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
im not sure about camping. a couple years ago the river bed got washed out so its all loose river rock, might be hard to ride in it but depends on how much power you have. shooting, if you do it go way way out away from there because there are houses, vehicles everywhere, and if you have a fire at night people just com out of the woods and stand around the fire.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Riding bikes out there is not the best, but it can be done. Mostly just hill climbs, sand, river rock and quad ****. There are a few canyons you can run though. Oh and if you do get to ride in actual dirt be ready for really, really bad red boogers. It's crazy dusty up there right now.

Shooting, from what I've been told you can't shoot out there but there were some guys doing it last week. There are dead end canyons up there, try shooting in one of those. That way you wont have to worry about the home owners bitching too much or the Sheriff showing up. (The sandy walls muffle the noise somewhat.)

Camping would suck out there especially trying to get an RV in there. The roads suck going in. The Sheriff is out there a lot and I'm sure he'll be out there more this weekend. He's a pretty good guy, just wave and talk to him.

The wheeling can be fun if you know where to go. The creek has some deep spots up further so we couldn't run as far as we have in other years.

The place can be a blast, just respect the home owners around you and PLEASE, pick your trash and some of the fuck wads that have been out there's trash. I brought back a trash bag full and then some. I would actually like to do a clean up day out there if I get the time if anybody else is interested let me know and I'll make it happen.

Either way it's a fun place, it just needs to be cleaned up a little. Actually thinking about going back up there to tool around Sun.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Greenhorn..?

Riding bikes out there is not the best, but it can be done. Mostly just hill climbs, sand, river rock and quad ****. There are a few canyons you can run though. Oh and if you do get to ride in actual dirt be ready for really, really bad red boogers. It's crazy dusty up there right now.

Shooting, from what I've been told you can't shoot out there but there were some guys doing it last week. There are dead end canyons up there, try shooting in one of those. That way you wont have to worry about the home owners bitching too much or the Sheriff showing up. (The sandy walls muffle the noise somewhat.)

Camping would suck out there especially trying to get an RV in there. The roads suck going in. The Sheriff is out there a lot and I'm sure he'll be out there more this weekend. He's a pretty good guy, just wave and talk to him.

The wheeling can be fun if you know where to go. The creek has some deep spots up further so we couldn't run as far as we have in other years.

The place can be a blast, just respect the home owners around you and PLEASE, pick your trash and some of the fuck wads that have been out there's trash. I brought back a trash bag full and then some. I would actually like to do a clean up day out there if I get the time if anybody else is interested let me know and I'll make it happen.

Either way it's a fun place, it just needs to be cleaned up a little. Actually thinking about going back up there to tool around Sun.
WTF..? Quad ****..? Why you talking smack about the quads..? It's either my Jeep or me on my quad out there. Both are a blast to ride on there.

It's usually a fun place to play for the day, when it's not overcrowded. An RV is possible to take down there, but as it was just said.. "the roads suck" but depends on size and driver skillz. A tent trailer.. or 15' trailer.. should be easy.. anything more than that.. is getting risky. Go once and check it out, then decide on the RV.

Hey mc5cent.. this is the girlfriends bithday weekend, she hasn't spoke up on what she wants to do.. but If she decides to go nowhere.. I'd be up for helping clean up the place a bit.. I've been from one end of that place to the other and further\farther than others. I've got a Jeep don't ya know.. I'd even be willing to drag some of the old cars out of there. Do you know of anyone with a flatbed we could use to haul them out on..? I've got an open schedule and could help during the week or weekend.

-bruce

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you want to do a clean up weekend I'll get something going and maybe we can get a bunch of others out there. Let me figure out a weekend and then I'll start a new thread.

The quad comment; they always get in my damn way when I ride my bike. I can't ever get around them when I try to pass, quads kick up too much dust (again can't get around them) and they fuck up the trails when it's wet. I took of my training wheels 26 years ago.:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Greenhorn..?

Yeah.. not sure yet about this weekend, but will post up when I know more. Next weekend would work too..? If someone is willing.. they could ride in the bed of my 4x4 taco and use my grabber thingy (hand operated picker-upper) and get the small stuff..? Will bring my tow strap too. (yank some metal loose) New thread.. Go for it.

Ahh... got it. I understand where your coming from.

Bikes are faster and quads do kick up alot of dust..! I know I'm not fast on mine (ltz250) and don't ride fast to begin with, but or would pull over for faster traffic, but most won't.

Dang.. talking about riding makes me want to go now..!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I can't do next weekend I'm going to the Rubicon, then the week after that is Street Vibrations. Definetly the 18th of Sep. though. I'll start a new thread in a minute or two and stop the hijack.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Greenhorn..?

I can't do next weekend I'm going to the Rubicon, then the week after that is Street Vibrations. Definetly the 18th of Sep. though. I'll start a new thread in a minute or two and stop the hijack.
I got no time to go and play like that.. I'm having some wrist surgery on the 13th and having the wire holding my left kneecap in place removed that same day. Motorcycle accident almost a year ago. A car pulled out in front of me while I WAS doing about 35mph.

I'll be able to go play up there on Sunday. What time you thinking you might be there..? Look for this:

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
There is no camping because most of the land is private property, NO FIRES because the fire level is way way high. I live near Greenhorn and if my house burns down because of some idiot down there having a campfire when they know its illegal during the summertime i will be pissed.
I am not sure if you can shoot down there, i haven't done it yet. I was thinking of doing it i've seen many people do it though. I heard the Sheriff has some deputies roaming around down there in quads now, i am not sure if thats permanent or if that was just last week.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Well.. I made it up there today.. Saw a few bikes, quads and a few 4x4's..

I managed to find a big puddle of water to play in.. Just once anyways. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foP1uREKvC4
Thats a tight video, i first thought your engine died going through that. Glad you made it out that would have sucked if you had to leave it there.
Where did you find that at anyway?

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
Thats a tight video, i first thought your engine died going through that. Glad you made it out that would have sucked if you had to leave it there.
Looks like his engine did die and he restarted it :smokin:

I've always seen people shoot down there, and I've even seen some people camp on the riverbed. I wouldn't camp there, but I don't think there's a problem shooting in the canyons.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Looks like his engine did die and he restarted it :smokin:

I've always seen people shoot down there, and I've even seen some people camp on the riverbed. I wouldn't camp there, but I don't think there's a problem shooting in the canyons.
i went down there today and someone was shooting somewhere.
I just bought a 9mm Beretta and i wanna go shoot it.

Anyway i wanted to show my brother the mine shaft i walked through with some friends. Its off to the right up a road off Red Dog road and we got down there and the road has been graded and theres a huge gate infront of it with rocks all around it. What the hell is that about anyone know? I guess that means no one can walk through that long shaft anyone :( No more Sluethbox either.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanx.. I've been through it before in the Jeep, but it's a good 5 inches higher, so I probably shouldn't have gone through it with my DD, but it's Toyota tough. A good test for it nonetheless.. and yes.. the air cleaner intake is in that front corner, but thankfully I replaced the stock intake with an AFE cold air intake setup. A bit more power and gas mileage too.

Stalled it..? Not with an auto tranny.

-me

ps. Where did I find it..? One of the fingers\canyons that splits off of the main playarea..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts