Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Truckee, California and am looking to buy comp buggy in Reno. It's a one off and has no title. The guy selling it says he can get a green sticker for it by going to the California DMV and showing his Nevada license. He says as a Nevada resident, California doesn't need to see the vehicle or check a VIN.

Is this true?

Thanks-
Craig

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Not sure if this helps or not, but in CO all you need to say is it's home built and they issue you a new VIN.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keith Strong said:
If he is a NV resident and has a NV address, how can he get a CA registration at all?
Not sure. I'm trying to make sure he's got his facts right. Maybe he's talking about an out of state green sticker?????

Craig

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
By being in Nevada, he can get an "Out of State OHV" permit. It's the same as the Green Sticker. Best bet is to call the DMV and ask what paperwork you need.

Jack

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Shaffer's Diablo has a green sticker on it for going to the Con etc... and he's a Nevada resident... so yes, it can be done..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got off the phone with the CA DMV. The woman I talked to did not know of any out of state permit. She even put me on hold to check with someone else.

Who knows? From my past experience, the CA DMV reps aren't too informed on green sticker issues.

Craig

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You can take the buggy down to the CHP and they'll issue a new VIN for it.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
He will only get a non-resident green sticker. These are actually available from most snowmobile shops (we used to sell the stickers at Tahoe). As for future green stickers, you will have to get your own from DMV, or continue to buy a non-res one. I think Anytime Power Sports or Thin Air sells them in Truckee, and no drivers license is required to purchase one. Hand them $20? and they give you a sticker.

Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nevadayj said:
He will only get a non-resident green sticker. These are actually available from most snowmobile shops (we used to sell the stickers at Tahoe). As for future green stickers, you will have to get your own from DMV, or continue to buy a non-res one. I think Anytime Power Sports or Thin Air sells them in Truckee, and no drivers license is required to purchase one. Hand them $20? and they give you a sticker.

Good luck!

How long are they good for? A year?

Is there any real difference between an in state green sticker and a non-resident green sticker?

If you're pulled over by a sheriff or ranger in the California Sierras with a non-resident green sticker and you have a California driver's license can you get away with saying that you borrowed the vehicle from a buddy of yours in Nevada?

Thanks-
Craig

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
fastbacker said:
How long are they good for? A year?

Is there any real difference between an in state green sticker and a non-resident green sticker?

If you're pulled over by a sheriff or ranger in the California Sierras with a non-resident green sticker and you have a California driver's license can you get away with saying that you borrowed the vehicle from a buddy of yours in Nevada?

Thanks-
Craig
Technically NO. It would be up to the LE to decide if he wanted to ticket you or not in that situation. But I will tell you that they LE's are on to the out of state stickers. They dont work as good as they used to. To get a Ca vin you need to call your local Highway Patrol and they will schedule you an appointment (like 2 months out) to bring your rig in to get a vin number. You will need any receipts showing what you paid for to build or buy your rig. Just make some up but you do need them. They will not give you a vin without them. Then you need to take your rig to your local DMV and they will issue you a Green Sticker.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
You can do the same process described above at a DMV office. If it is a self-built construction, walk in with a pile of receipts for parts, fill out a form stating that you built it and where you built it and how you acquired any parts that you don't have receipts for. They will then go out in the parking lot and say "gee that's a cool rig what are you going to do with that?" and go back inside and assign you a new VIN number. I spent 4 hours in the DMV office sorting this crap out for mine. I thought that it would be easier to transfer my truck title to offroad, but it ended up costing me this weekend. If I could do it over, I would have walked in with a pile of receipts and my buggy on the trailer and walked out with a green sticker. Now I'm waiting until tuesday for the now junked title from my truck to clear. I would have the current owner take care of this and then when he recieves his new title, sell it to you. Since you didn't build the vehicle yourself, things may get a more complicated and you may have to wait out the 2 months for a CHP inspection. Green stickers are good for 2 years.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wilson said:
You can do the same process described above at a DMV office. If it is a self-built construction, walk in with a pile of receipts for parts, fill out a form stating that you built it and where you built it and how you acquired any parts that you don't have receipts for. They will then go out in the parking lot and say "gee that's a cool rig what are you going to do with that?" and go back inside and assign you a new VIN number. I spent 4 hours in the DMV office sorting this crap out for mine. I thought that it would be easier to transfer my truck title to offroad, but it ended up costing me this weekend. If I could do it over, I would have walked in with a pile of receipts and my buggy on the trailer and walked out with a green sticker. Now I'm waiting until tuesday for the now junked title from my truck to clear. I would have the current owner take care of this and then when he recieves his new title, sell it to you. Since you didn't build the vehicle yourself, things may get a more complicated and you may have to wait out the 2 months for a CHP inspection. Green stickers are good for 2 years.
I wonder if it would be easier for the seller (Nevada resident) to get a VIN in Nevada and then I (California resident) could go get a green sticker at the CA DMV.

Craig

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Wilson said:
I actually did just that his last week but it did not work like you describe. I brought my buggy, I had the paper work filled out and I was ready to recieve a green sticker. As soon as the DMV sees that you do not have a VIN number they imediately want you to go to CHP to get one. They can not issue a green sticker with out a VIN and the DMV can not issue VIN numbers. That is the CHP's job. So now I have to wait for my apointment in November before I can go back to the DMV to get a green sticker.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
& what do you guys do if they outlaw green stickered rigs on the con? if you can just keep it street regestered. if smpog is the problem get a pre 75 title from an old ford or jeep ect. sucks that they may kill the stickers on the con, I bet 25% of the rigs are stickered buggys that cost alot of $$$.

·
Premium Member
9,561 Posts
Very unlikely to happen, IMHO, Darren. No way to hit the rock buggies without also hitting the quads, dirt bikes, and trail bikes... IMHO, there's no practical way to implement a green-sticker ban.

FWIW, your advice is still good, tho -- some form of street registration gains you transferability into different states and more miles of trails. The price for that gain is the potential of having to deal with the vehicle code.

Randii

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
randii said:
Very unlikely to happen, IMHO, Darren. No way to hit the rock buggies without also hitting the quads, dirt bikes, and trail bikes... IMHO, there's no practical way to implement a green-sticker ban.

FWIW, your advice is still good, tho -- some form of street registration gains you transferability into different states and more miles of trails. The price for that gain is the potential of having to deal with the vehicle code.

Randii
hey I hope you are right:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At this point, I'm thinking of trying to find a title for a pre 70's junker (Jeep or something).

What would the process be for getting a green sticker for it (really the buggy)? Do I need to register and insure it before I can get the green sticker?

If I were to have a green sticker that was registered to, say, a 1960 Jeep on the buggy, would a sheriff on the Rubicon know this after running the green sticker number? Would they care?

Thanks-
Craig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts