Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i blew up a birf real good today. was weird, didn't even make any sound at first, just noticed the wheel wasn't turning. Anyways, after taking it apart and cleaning all the shrapnel out of the housing i notices alot of scoring on the inside of the knuckle around the steering bearing area.

It still steers fine and seems tight so i was wondering if i should just throw another axle back in and repack the knuckle with grease ? Or should i be the anal fawker that i am and take apart the steering knuckle arm bearings and inspect?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Put it back together and run it.

·
Vendor
4,132 Posts
I think I would go a head and inspect the steering arm bearings to see if there is anything in them. It would be a waist to get back out on the trail and then find out they had metal shavings in them and screw them up and just have troubles on the trail and still have to rebuilt the knuckle anyway.
Just my .02
Adam

·
Registered
315 Posts
You could just run it, but those trunion bearings are notorious for falling apart after getting some birfield chunks ground into them for awhile.

·
Registered
930 Posts
i just ran into the same problem but i decided too take apart the knuckle.sure enough the trunion bearings were waisted.there was damage too my steering arm also.those birfs really explode and f up every thing. i guess it is time for the super birfs.anyways good luck

·
Registered
284 Posts
rvd said:
Well i blew up a birf real good today. was weird, didn't even make any sound at first, just noticed the wheel wasn't turning. Anyways, after taking it apart and cleaning all the shrapnel out of the housing i notices alot of scoring on the inside of the knuckle around the steering bearing area.

It still steers fine and seems tight so i was wondering if i should just throw another axle back in and repack the knuckle with grease ? Or should i be the anal fawker that i am and take apart the steering knuckle arm bearings and inspect?

Take it all apart you will always find more in there. Dont think that you cant find any in the housing, if the axles seal is munched you may find somthing there too.

P.S. iam selling off my diffs you may wants some of my good part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts