Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had and oil leak for a few months and need to cleen it up now. i did a little muddin and desert runnin so its cake pretty good. any suggestions or truicks to get it removed? i had planned on using foaming engine degreaseer ...

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Joel K® said:
that will do it that's for sure.

I got some stuff from Costco called "oil eater" works great. You can also get it at kragen. Cleaned the years of grime off the tranny/t-case combo in my cruiser no problem. :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
The best stuff I have ever run across is a Castrol product called Super Clean. It is in a purple jug. It is the most unbelievable stuff I have ever seen. Spray it on and wait a few minutes then rinse off. You should see how it cleans tires. It is a pretty strong base (oposite of acid), and will dry out your hands unbelievable if you don't wash it off.

Spray it all over your engine and wash. It will look like new.

I use it in rebuilding engines. Spray it on a crusted piston and all the carbon and shelac will just disolve and run off. I spray the block and wash with hot water. It does just as good a job as boiling it.

It also cleans driveways well.

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

PS. I do not sell this or have stock in it. I buy mine at Walmart for less than $4 a gallon.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
Get a small pump up weed sprayer and pour in Castrol Super Clean or Zep Purple cleaner. Cut it 1:1 with water. Coat the entire underside with mixture at the coin-op car wash. Rinse with high pressure.

The foaming engine degreaser will not work that great when you have dirt/oil mixture. It's a solvent and your need a detergent.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old Scout said:
Get a small pump up weed sprayer and pour in Castrol Super Clean or Zep Purple cleaner. Cut it 1:1 with water. Coat the entire underside with mixture at the coin-op car wash. Rinse with high pressure.

The foaming engine degreaser will not work that great when you have dirt/oil mixture. It's a solvent and your need a detergent.
super clean is some amazing stuff, used it at my old job. looks like ill have to go back and get some more from them. and yes it jacks your hands up big time. when we first got it i would clean my hands with it. needless to say after a week or so it looked like my hands were going to fall off ... my skin was peeling like crazy

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I would put this stuff aginst anything anybody could come up with..It has a awesome releasing agent that works on grime,dirt,mud,oil,,whatever..Its a little spendy but it get EVERYTHING clean....I use it in the wash with nasty jeans,shop rage,,capet cleaner,spot remover...Just a little dillute it a bit of corse for fabric applications..One you use this you will never use anything again...

Its called JC91 from chemlogics the number is 503-885-0600
or 1-800-453-7627 Its a steam cleaner solution that just kicks ass...

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Old Scout said:

The guy at the coin-op had a cow and threatened to sue me when I did this. I think the stuff they offer on-site is similar to Simple Green and is apparently environment-friendly. The stuff I was spraying on was not.
On a related note, be careful when/where you spray this stuff off at. In Thousand Oaks you can receive a $10,000 fine for allowing "hazardous waste" to drain into the sewer system. I have a friend who runs a mobile dog grooming service and was warned for allowing the soapy water to run into the street :rolleyes: Which is why I'm often hosing off engine parts in the wee hours of the night ;)

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
When you add a detergent to an oil/grease, it emulsifies and the oil/grease traps that most coin-op car washes use won't separate the materials and they get discharged, usually to the storm sewer, and ultimately, to whatever receiving stream nearby. The amounts of oil/grease that most coin-op car wash customers generate isn't enough to cause a problem, but when folks like us show up, the story is not the same! Land Rover owners are exempted from that statement as our trucks are rolling superfund site generators!

I once worked for a chemical formulating company (probably very similar to the one OS works for) that also made pressure washers for use with their detergents. One of my major projects was designing a wastewater treatment facility that was to be installed at car washes and truck wash-down stations. Didn't sell very well because most of the operators of those facilities wouldn't pay up and as there was no regulatory pressure placed upon them, no incentive to clean up their act.

Paul

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
PTSchram said:
When you add a detergent to an oil/grease, it emulsifies and the oil/grease traps that most coin-op car washes use won't separate the materials and they get discharged, usually to the storm sewer, and ultimately, to whatever receiving stream nearby.
Paul
I know of no City/State/County that will allow vehicular washing effluent to be discharged to a storm sewer! It would be a clear violation of the clean water act! High PPMs of Grease and Oil are common in all vehicular washing regardless if there is chassis de-greasing or not.

95% of all coin ops have a reclaim system and use "split" units to treat the effluent. The incoming waste water of treated with a split agent and a flocculate. The split agent brings the grease and oil to the top of the tank were it is skimmed off. A flocculate is added to settle out the dirt.

Coin opp owners do not like you bringing in your own degreaser for two reasons. You will need fewer quarters to do a good job, and your detergent may not like his "split" equipment/chemicals.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
OS-you are absolutely right, but there are many combined storm sewers where they go to the receiving stream directly (on my way to lunch today, I noticed a sign next to a ditch that read "This ditch is polluted with raw sewage from the town of Berne, stay out"). Around here, there are many guys running around with pressure washers in the back of their trucks doing semis on the side of the road-these wastewaters are neither collected, nor treated. They lobby hard to get regs written that exempt them. Indiana has decided not to regulate them yet.

The coin ops around here have very rudimentary separation tanks.

Also, the CWA (or FWPCA if you prefer) puts industry into specific categories for industrial users and there currently isn't one for coin operated car washes, hence they are regulated as conventional pollutant generators, versus toxic pollutant generators. Therefor, most municipalities regulate them much like fast-food restaurants which surprisingly generate some serious wastewaters, often with very acidic wastes.

I've been chased out of coin-ops just for having a muddy truck-makes you wonder if they expect people with clean trucks to take them to be washed!

Peace,
Paul

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
withamc said:

The guy at the coin-op had a cow and threatened to sue me when I did this. I think the stuff they offer on-site is similar to Simple Green and is apparently environment-friendly. The stuff I was spraying on was not.
On a related note, be careful when/where you spray this stuff off at. In Thousand Oaks you can receive a $10,000 fine for allowing "hazardous waste" to drain into the sewer system. I have a friend who runs a mobile dog grooming service and was warned for allowing the soapy water to run into the street :rolleyes: Which is why I'm often hosing off engine parts in the wee hours of the night ;)

Tru Dat. I've used Simple Green and it does a great job. Make
sure the motor is cool and spray the simple green all over it.
Let it soak and then hose off. Some of the real thick spots may
need to be hit with a brush.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts