Pirate 4x4 banner

221 - 240 of 299 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
Damn, another cool build to follow.
Thank you.

Progress has been made but it seems like it is still dragging. Of course I got side tracked a little and my attention has been divided a little this last weekend. I picked up a 4x4 plasma table and have been getting it up and running. :D

Got the throttle body, new harness, camshaft and a few other parts in, waiting on the shifter and a few gauges to come in and I should have 99% of all the parts I need on hand.

Finally decided on where the orbital is going and got it mounted and the steering column in. Made a small mount for the power steering reservoir, the first actual part cut on the new table. It came out almost perfect.

15542136_10211777587143076_7041446703051893180_n by Jonathon Marshall, on Flickr

Just need to get my hands on pieces for the drive shafts. For now I am just going to dig up some stock one that have the 1350 joints and make up a set. I just haven't gotten around to picking them up. Working with team208 on the tuning. He is sending me out a PCM with a base tune so it will run, hopefully by next weekend, and then after the first of the year and everything slows down I will get it dialed in with a custom remote tune from them. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #223

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Engine is ready to go back in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #225 (Edited)
Long week, I got allot done but not as much as I was wanting to. It seem like for everything I got finished there was an issue that slowed it all down.

The engine is back in and the harness is hooked up to it, the PCM got hung up in the holiday shipping disaster so I am still waiting on it.

I got 90% of the steering plumbed. The hydro boost unit I have is in pretty rough shape and looks to have gotten allot of dirt in it, so I am going to pick up a different one. Once I have it I can get it mounted and then finish out the plumbing.

I got the radiator hoses figured out. I had planed on putting the stock heater unit back in it, but it will not fit and looks like ass. I had tapped out the water pump and installed the fittings for the heater, but for now I am going to loop them together until I come up with a heater unit I like.

Going to start over on the fan shroud, I really need to get a break so I can bend material and not have it look like shit.....

When I pulled the motor I left the transmission mounts hooked up, and when I was moving it around to get the engine off of it, I broke the adapter between the trans and the ECO box, talk about a dumb-ass move :mad3:. I was able to get one the next morning from the wrecking yard, and they had a cast metal one instead of an aluminum one. It is allot heavier but 10x as strong.

Got the 1350 yokes on the 205 and the transmission and cases put back in, drive line parts are on order.

The last relocation bracket for the accessories showed up today, got it installed and the serpentine belt measured out before work. I will test fit the belt I got for it in the morning to see how far off on the measurement I am.

Most of the fuel system is plumbed, I still need to get the tank mounted so I can finish it out.

Finished up making the console removable, I feel it came out really good. Will be working on getting all the shifter mounts figured out next.

I am having a hard time coming up with where I want to mount the transmission and power steering cooler unit, I got a fan cooled dual unit and everywhere I think about mounting it, it is either in danger of getting hit, way out in the open, too confined, or I think it will look like shit. I was also trying to keep it close to the front to limit the length of the lines to it but.....

Ignore the mess, my garage has about 4 projects going on by 3 different people and looks worse than an active war zone right now :shaking:. I am really looking forward to one of them though. We are putting a 3.7 from a CX-9 (same engine as in the 2012 up mustangs) into a 91 B2200 coupled to a mustang 6 speed, going to be a hell of a ride. :eek::D

Full drop to test out the steering line length :D

Console back in and working on laying in the engine harness.

This is what I will be going with on the belt routing. Throttle body pulled back off to build a bracket for the throttle cable.

One possibility for the fluid coolers, just not really liking it though...

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #229 (Edited)
That is because you are not a 19yo girl
:laughing:

Saw some of the pics and the video on FB while answering snow wheeling questions. The engine sounds mean as fuck.

Great work man. Keep plugging along.
Thanks, makes a huge difference and feels so much better when you can finally make it makes noise.

Making good progress.

I was worried about clearance between the radiator and throttle body so I flipped the intake around and will put the air filter under the dash.

Brakes are 80% done, I had to order in the adapters to go from the inverted flare to NPT at the master cylinder. I will finish them out once it here, should be here Thursday.

All the drive line parts except for a carrier bearing showed up today. I was not sure what size bearing I needed, but the are stocked locally so I will pick one up Friday. I should have the drive-lines done this weekend.

Got the brake peddle moved over and mounted. I just have to shorten the rod for the hydro boost, and then mount it all up for the last time. I can then finish out the steering and hydraulic lines.

Dash is in with just the minimum gauges for now.

Made up a fast little switch plate with just enough on it till latter.

The wiring is about 90% done, just needed to pick up a couple cable ends today to finish it out.

I have two pieces left to cut out for the tank mount, and I will try to get it mounted up this weekend also.

Going to try and get the last two mounts welded on the radiator tomorrow.

Still waiting on the shifter to show up, they sent it from PA to me via china or some shit. Says it should be here Thursday finally. Hoping to get it mounted up and see if it will move under its own power by the end of the weekend, will see how it goes. :D

It will still need allot of little things finished up, but it should be able to go come the end of the month. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Looking and sounding good man!! I remember when I first fired my new motor up after the scout was sitting for years. It brought a tear to my eye!

I have the same dual pass cooler for my rig. I had a hard time trying to find a place for it as well. Just too big or too wide to fit where I wanted it to. I have it in front of my radiator with the fan to the rear of the fins, after trying other locations. I hooked up the cooler so the flow would loop back through it, and made it into a one fluid cooler. I had some issues with it keeping up cooling when my engine was over heating since I had the lines plumbed to the radiator then the tranny cooler. I've since made it a stand alone system. I haven't wheeled with it since the change, due to the engine tear down to track the heating issue.

Let me know if you want any pics.

Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #231 (Edited)
Looking and sounding good man!! I remember when I first fired my new motor up after the scout was sitting for years. It brought a tear to my eye!

I have the same dual pass cooler for my rig. I had a hard time trying to find a place for it as well. Just too big or too wide to fit where I wanted it to. I have it in front of my radiator with the fan to the rear of the fins, after trying other locations. I hooked up the cooler so the flow would loop back through it, and made it into a one fluid cooler. I had some issues with it keeping up cooling when my engine was over heating since I had the lines plumbed to the radiator then the tranny cooler. I've since made it a stand alone system. I haven't wheeled with it since the change, due to the engine tear down to track the heating issue.

Let me know if you want any pics.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks.

Still plugging away as much as I can.

More of the wiring done.

99% of the plumbing done. I just need to tie in the rear calipers and then I can bleed out the brakes. I came up about a foot short on hose for the return from the power steering cooler so I had to order in another section. The rest of all the steering is plumbed. Transmission is plumbed. Radiator is installed, again. First time the seals in the water pump had dried up and failed from sitting and bled all over the place.

Cooler mounted, I ended up putting it under where the fuel tank sit's.

Shifter is mounted and started in on the transfer case shifters before I got called off to go town home another broken Ferd. I didn't get as much done over the weekend as I wanted, just seems like there is all kinds of stuff that keeps coming up and getting in the way, but progress is progress.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #232 (Edited)
Still chipping away at it a little after work every night.

Brakes are done

Shifters are done

Got a bunch of finish welding done to the rear and got most of the weld washers welded up.

Rear drive line is cut to length and set up and the rear half of the front one is done. Had to wait for the carrier bearing to get here. I should have the bearing mounted and the last section made up tomorrow morning. Hoping to have the shafts dropped off at the local drive line shop tomorrow after noon to have them welded up and balanced. Planing on having it in the exhaust shop early next week.

I will spend the weekend finishing up most of the wiring, floor boards and skid plates.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #233 (Edited)
Well its been a long week. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, but I did get allot done. Seemed like everything I worked on took so much longer than it should have. I was also working around the fact that this corner of the world had stopped because it snowed and I am surrounded by fucking idiots that don't know what to do when it does :mad3::mad3::mad3:, 16 days to get a part from Reno to Portland......

So interior paneling is done-ish. I am in no way shape or form a person that can do great work with sheet. I am not 100% happy with the fit and finish on it, but its not horrendous, and its functional.

Fuel tank in and all the plumbing is done on the fuel system except for the tank vent.

Wiring is 99% done, the only thing left is to swap the connector on the transmission/steering cooler over to a weather pack connector, a couple of want to have's are to install the ham, radio and wire the seat heaters.

All the plumbing is done, I still need to make up some rubber protector piece for the brake where they are zip tied to the links and possibly add a proportioning valve to the front brakes. I will have to play with that a little bit more to see how it is behaving latter.

I got the drive lines back from the shop on Tuesday, all balanced and ready to go.

It went to the exhaust shop yesterday. I didn't have the front drive shaft finished up and in it yet though. The front end still had a 1330 yoke and the 1350 yoke was lost in the UPS snow delay cluster fuck. So after I got it back in the shop today and started trying to get the front shaft in it, I promptly cut the driver side pipe out because it wouldn't clear. There was a breakdown in communication and he routed it the wrong way, so it has to go back after I get off of work Tuesday morning and get routed the way I wanted it in the first place. :shaking:

How it sounded before I took the sawzall to the exhaust :smokin:

https://youtu.be/1skKqYhd4m4

So for now I think the short list is:
Alignment
Seat belt mounts
Skid plates
3 bars in the rear section of the cage it has to have
Something to protect the radiator
Front winch if possible
a few lights
Roof.....

I also need to see about getting some paint on it in the bare metal area's, not needed, but will make a huge of a difference latter on cleaning it all back up to get some paint on it.

Not toooo much to try and get done in the little amount of time left until its supposed to be loaded for California......

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #239 (Edited)
221 - 240 of 299 Posts