Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swinging drivetrain into the 'Binder Speed'. Trying to decide whats better lower CoG or higher ground clearance.

Scouts originally came with completely flat bellys so it would be easy to keep that but if I move the motor around a little bit, I get much better weight distribution and CoG. But then, everything ends up 6" below the frame rails.

I'm running 120" WB and 35" tires so ground clearance is a premium.

What to do.......

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I'm swinging drivetrain into the 'Binder Speed'. Trying to decide whats better lower CoG or higher ground clearance.

Scouts originally came with completely flat bellys so it would be easy to keep that but if I move the motor around a little bit, I get much better weight distribution and CoG. But then, everything ends up 6" below the frame rails.

I'm running 120" WB and 35" tires so ground clearance is a premium.

What to do.......
Flat belly. Not an even remotely difficult decision. 120 with 35's? dude. You need 25in minimum.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flat belly. Not an even remotely difficult decision. 120 with 35's? dude. You need 25in minimum.
Given the fact that ultra 4/dirt riot courses are generally less rocky/technical than traditional rock events, would a low belly be that bad? I'm just thinking about it from a speed/stability perspective.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
decide how much uptravel you are going to get with your tire size and add 3-4" of reserve space. ground clearance is whatever it is

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
the binder in your sig?
move the axles on top of the leaves. gives you lower COG and maintains the flat belly
you havent even tried to make it low from what I saw

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Given the fact that ultra 4/dirt riot courses are generally less rocky/technical than traditional rock events, would a low belly be that bad? I'm just thinking about it from a speed/stability perspective.
Are you building it for one race, or to actually wheel? Either way, at 120 you need clearance.

·
Vendor
990 Posts
I think belly width is really important, it definitely plays in as much as height.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the binder in your sig?
move the axles on top of the leaves. gives you lower COG and maintains the flat belly
you havent even tried to make it low from what I saw
and then everything else drags. plus, I cant get the travel I need being SUA. Also, fender trimming is an option but fender butchering isnt.

There were no rocks in this years EMC race so I'd build for speed over rocks.
Thats what I was wondering.

Are you building it for one race, or to actually wheel? Either way, at 120 you need clearance.
building it for race series, not recreational wheeling.

I think belly width is really important, it definitely plays in as much as height.
Good thought. The widest part would be my D300, still much narrower than the frame rails.

hmmmmm.......

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
how much are you trying to move the motor? just down or down and back? if you can move it enough to help lower your center of gravity and better weight distribution, I think it could be worth it, as long as the majority of the skid is flat. you might have to make small hump with the tcase hangs down, but if you build it like a ramp I think it would be fine. Is the tcase clocked at all?

Brian

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SUA > SOA for go-fast stuff. Hands-down.
I guess I meant to say, with my current set up and budget, SOA is what works for me. Yes, SUA works best but I cant afford 65" deavers and I dont have room for them in this rig.

how much are you trying to move the motor? just down or down and back? if you can move it enough to help lower your center of gravity and better weight distribution, I think it could be worth it, as long as the majority of the skid is flat. you might have to make small hump with the tcase hangs down, but if you build it like a ramp I think it would be fine. Is the tcase clocked at all?

Brian
Down and back. T-case will be flat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts