Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So finally got to wheel the old Range last weekend with the lockers/24 spline and LT230 and I must say it was well worth the work. . The only issue left to fix and I guess I should have read more befor tossing the old borgwarner. . So in the BW there is the cable driven speed transducer thingy...I didnt know at the time it was needed to have a good idle and the LT looks like it has a hall senswer type pick up?? I dont know but I thought i could wier it up and yea. .that dont work. So is there any other way to correct the idle issue without the transducer OR how can I adapt it to the LT?

·
Registered
897 Posts
It sounds like you have the disco LT230 that had the VSS plugged direct into the LT230.

The first rangies with electronic speedo, prior to the change from an LT230 to BorgWarner TC (around 90, 91 IIRC), had a separate VSS driven by a short speedo cable that connected to the LT230.

Perhaps that VSS might work for you, but I'm guessing here that they may have used the same type (signal, not necessarily the same cable driven VSS) with the change to a BW TC.

If so then that VSS and cable drive will fit the later disco LT230.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You have two choices. You can use the earlier AMR3386, which is a separate box that runs from a short cable or you can use the Disco 1 VSS, part number YBE100540 for sending a signal to the EFI. If you use the Disco 1 option, you need to install a 120 Ohm or so resistor inline to prevent damage to the VSS.

Are you running without a speedometer?

If the VSS on the box currently has two pins, it is the correct one. The plug is the same as a Defender brake light and you just need to add a resistor and wire it in. If it has 3 pins, it is hall effect and you can sell it....

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Or, you can use the manual transmission fuel map as it processes the VSS input differently-OR, you can obtain an EEPROM burner and use RoverGauge and the burner software (name eludes me, it's on a different computer) and rewrite the code such that the ECU recognizes minimum TPS as zero vehicle speed.

I strongly suspect that all of the bits from the BW to the LT-23- are interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Pretty sure all of the fuel maps use the VSS to switch idle modes.

Re-writing the code is a large involved job unless you are really into electronics.

Super easy and basically free to add and wire in a Disco 1 VSS and then you have a proper job.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You guys are awesome!! Thank you all for the reply's. . . and yes the truck is a 90/91 non abs Hunter and the t case is from a disco with the 2 wire vss mounted on the case side.and speedo is not working because of this issue . Ok so I will see what I can figure out now that you guys gave me some hope ..

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Pretty sure all of the fuel maps use the VSS to switch idle modes.

Re-writing the code is a large involved job unless you are really into electronics.

Super easy and basically free to add and wire in a Disco 1 VSS and then you have a proper job.
The manual map handles the idle differently and according to the guys who use the Lucas EMS without the input from the VSS, it's more better than the auto map.

The code is available and while I've just begun to really get into the process, there are maps available that have the non-VSS maps and other improvements over the stock map.

He tried to wire the VSS into the circuit and it didn't work

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
He tried to wire the VSS into the circuit and it didn't work
He either has the wrong VSS or did not do it as I stated. I've done multiple 14CUX installs and what I've stated works. I'm not internet wrenching. It is from real world, first hand experience.

If he can't wire a simple VSS with a resistor, he sure as hell is not going to re-flash the EEPROM successfully.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
He either has the wrong VSS or did not do it as I stated. I've done multiple 14CUX installs and what I've stated works. I'm not internet wrenching. It is from real world, first hand experience.

If he can't wire a simple VSS with a resistor, he sure as hell is not going to re-flash the EEPROM successfully.
To my knowledge, there are only two VSS, those for the cables and those without.

And, I sure hope you aren't suggesting I am internetz wrenching as that's about as far from the truth as one can get...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K guys I finally got a day off so Im heading over to grab a resistor and give it a shot. .
Hopefully I didnt hurt the vss by directly wiring it up. i seem to remember there being two black weirs on the vss. does it matter witch direction its wired or what sig]de the resistor goes in?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
K guys I finally got a day off so Im heading over to grab a resistor and give it a shot. .
Hopefully I didnt hurt the vss by directly wiring it up. i seem to remember there being two black weirs on the vss. does it matter witch direction its wired or what sig]de the resistor goes in?
It does not matter which side. You probably did kill the VSS. The ECU does not limit current as it expects there to be a resistor and fries the VSS pretty fast without on.

Easy to test. Just measure continuity across the leads and move the vehicle a small amount. It should close and open as the VSS turns.

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
YOU were suggesting that I did not know what I was talking about. Not me suggesting you didn't.... :flipoff2:

Wow, I certainly didn't mean to say anything of the sort.

I went back and re-read it and didn't read that, but if you did, it wasn't intentional.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok so got the new vss with the 120ohm inline and still no dice. No speedo and choppy idle . I just put the ohm meter on 2k and tested the original cable driven vss and it was 1 / 150 ohm and the disco vss tested at 1 / 1800. So I guess I have some basic math to do ? Should I try higher numeric resistors ?

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Ok so got the new vss with the 120ohm inline and still no dice. No speedo and choppy idle . I just put the ohm meter on 2k and tested the original cable driven vss and it was 1 / 150 ohm and the disco vss tested at 1 / 1800. So I guess I have some basic math to do ? Should I try higher numeric resistors ?
Can you transfer the drive gear from the BW case to the LT-230? and use hte original transducer?

(I'm in the tool truck and can't walk over to both and see if it can be done and my new computer on the truck won't run MicroCat)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Already tossed the old Tcase so cant swap out parts. . Can I use an early disco ecu? I gotta get this junker through emissions asap :/ been on expired tags for 3 monthes

·
Registered
151 Posts
Since you don't have the VSS working correctly then just unplug it completely and go unplug your stepper(IAC) too since they work off each other and crank the base-idle up to around 750-800rpms and it should be good enough to pass smog. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts