Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
gauge cluster?

Quick info:
Truck is an 884runner. Came stock as 3.0 v6 w/ auto tranny.

Past summer tranny blew and engine was on last legs so I yanked engine/tranny and all wiring and replaced it with another 88 3.0 but converted to 5spd with all associated 5spd engine/tranny wiring and of course all interior wiring looms and computer from the manual. So, my truck has basically been converted to a factory style 3.0/5spd in all respects except for my guage cluster.

Because of this, my old auto guage cluster sits DEAD. Nothing works except for the speedo cuz it's manual of course.

As it's a 4runner, and the 3.0's only came in 88 and 89's for my body style it's been almost impossible for me to find a 3.0/5spd guage cluster from those years 4runner without shelling out way more $ than I'm willing to pay...yota yard wants roughly $200+!!

I called toyota and they sell the circuit board for a manual 3.0 4runner for about $110 (which is still high but liveable). If I get that circuit board, can I mate that to a 4cyl guage cluster outer (I can find those anyday for cheap) and will that work???? Because the guage clusters from autos come with automatic tranny control lights and different guage setups, should I attempt to use my original outer guage face and have it work??? or is the best solution to mate a 3.0/ 5spd circuit board with a "4cyl style" outer face?

Anyone done this?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
24,640 Posts
FYI - I'm getting a 6cyl/5spd one in the mail from a POR member. Should be here in the next week or so. If you can find me a good 4cyl/5 spd one, I might trade ya even up. Email or PM me if interested.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
e- Mike's a good guy. Hadn't honestly thought about calling him, last time I was in his shop he was working on his 3.4 swap into his 4runner...that was last year sometime though...might be worth a call.

Bones- I can find 4cyl/5spd clusters all day here for either 4runners or trucks. I have tons of sources for yota parts here including The Yota Yard and he has no less than 300+ trucks on his lot, but only 1 first gen 4runner that came with the 3.0/5spd and the cluster was already gone. I may very well take you up on the offer, especially if it comes to less than what I'd spend trying to mate a couple together...thanks. I'll pm ya when I get a chance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.