Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The search gave a bunch of threads about converting dashes:rolleyes:, custom built dashes:rolleyes:, and motor swaps in various POS's:rolleyes:, but ....

I'm looking for specific help w/ installing additional guages. I want to run H2O temp, Oil temp (maybe) & Tranny temp in my 2.5L 5 spd TJ. First of all... I'm thinking mechanical guages would be best/most accurate. Am I wrong?

Second...
Has anybody done this? How/where do they hook up?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Alrightly then, maybe in the H2O port most engines have another port that is unused. And don't think you need a tranny temp guage, it's a auto thing you just wouldn't understand. :D Autos don't like heat, the hoter they run the shorter they live. Same with the oil temp guage, sure might be nice but mainly not needed.

Are your guages not working or do you just want more things to look at?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
emsoffroad said:

Are your guages not working or do you just want more things to look at?
I thought I could fill some dash space w/ something "useful" when I hide my thief-bate CD player... :flipoff2:

Actually... I'd like to have a more accurate water temp guage (you know... one that measures actual degrees) cuz after removing the stock fan & installing an electric... i have some (minor) cooling problems I'm still working out.

I was under the assumption that NO tranny lasted too long w/ perpetual overheating. Don't think it's a big problem w/ mine, but I'd like to know.

And, w/ the oil temp thing, I just mostly wonder how hot it actually is... I'd like to see what it does under different "loads".

I could be just plain stoopid, though... don't wanna rule that out! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
845 Posts
if i wanted to know what is going on with the motor, i'd put in EGT, vacum, knock, oil press and temp. But in i can just plug the lappie in to find out all that stuff...gotta love dfi.

the tranny temp guage you don't need on a 5spd...it's really a waste...can't really corrilate it to anything usefull. Water temp i understand, i'll prolly wire a better one in at some point. Oil temp is helpful in high performance motors, not really applicable you yours...no offense intended.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Goat said:

Oil temp is helpful in high performance motors, not really applicable you yours...
Hence the "(maybe)".

no offense intended.
None taken.

I still wouldn't mind having the info available. Perhaps it IS unnecessary w/ a manual tranny. As far as water temp... How 'bout one on the OUT hose & one on the IN hose? Worthless again... huh?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Temp on the in and out hose is only gonna tell you how effiecient your rad is. You could put one in the heads water jacket. My gauge reads off the heads while the coolant temp sensor is in the thermostat housing.

If you want to do two i suggest that you put one before the thermostat. It will give a more accurate reading and i'll keep you from melting something when the thermo gets stuck closed.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
for your application, i would get electric Autometer gauges.

now, if i had a limited amount of other electric BS, i would go with mechanical. especially if i had an engine that would (or could) run with a near total electrical failure on the trail (carb).

the electric are much easier to install.

matt

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Do electrical guages stay accurate, when you have an altenator/voltage regulator/battery problem?

I was thinking a mechanical oil pressure, but I don't like the idea of running the oil tube into the passenger area.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I thought people like you just put a new batch of squirrels in when the old ones got overheated.
hell if they started sweating profusley you could add and extra fan to kept them cool
:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

:D

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
smtyblt said:
I thought people like you just put a new batch of squirrels in when the old ones got overheated.
hell if they started sweating profusley you could add and extra fan to kept them cool
:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

:D
Or I need to look into an ELECTRIC motor... :D ;)

:flipoff2:

·
Banned
626 Posts
MellowYellow said:
Do electrical guages stay accurate, when you have an altenator/voltage regulator/battery problem?

I was thinking a mechanical oil pressure, but I don't like the idea of running the oil tube into the passenger area.
As far as accuracy goes buy a good gauge like an AUTOMETER, the electric or mechanical will be great. Sun Pro gauges are crap. I know from experience. Also notice that the eletric gauges only use about 45 degrees of the face for display while the mechanical ones uses about 270 degrees. Mechanicals look better in my opinion.

For the mechanical oil gauge issue it is a must that you buy an stainless steel braided hose. They run about 50 bucks for a 6 footer. The nylon and copper tube will work but there days are limited. I have had both break. It is not fun. The stainless steel should never fail hopefully.

Monituring tranny temp is not a bad idea. Rock crawling can make them build heat. Most new trucks have tranny temp gauges now so do not listen to the other losers on this board telling you not to get it. Get what you want not what others what you to get. ;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
besides a couple of gliches that thing runs fine bud save that money and buy some stuff that help you on the trail

dont get me wrong I understand where you are going with this you want to be one with your jeep daniel son without getting out and under the jeep or under the hood but I dont think it is neccessary

maybe water and maybe just maybe oil but everything else will take care of itself

and they are right

if you really want to go Bling with it go with those nice solid state digital marine gauges they are nice and heavy duty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.