Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guido's 1965 Scout 80 + 7.3L PSD

Alright fawkers:flipoff2: I've had my Scout since July 2006, it started off as a simple frame on restification to get it driving, then the project creep began, fixed a bunch of rust, swapped axles, power steering, disc brakes, etc. Nuthin' really Pirate worthy.

I've only driven it three times, once into the garage, once onto the trailer and once off the trailer. :laughing: Although, that's 3 more times than Brandon's driven his:flipoff2: looks like he's on the home stretch now though.

For me, it's rare to have the holy trinity (time, money, and motivation), but with a nice tax refund from Uncle Sugar the planets aligned and I stumbled across a wrecked 4x4 1996 F250 7.3L International PSD, ZF 5 speed :idea:

If the guys at Petersen's 4WOR can stuff a Cummins 6BT into a Jeep I can get a 7.3 PSD in my Scout with some slight firewall mods:grinpimp:

Can you guys help me?:flipoff2:

7.3/ZF 5 speed/203/205 10b/14FF yeah, yeah 10bolt sucks but it's what I got for now.

P2210151.jpg

P2210145 (2).jpg

P2210143 (2).jpg

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's when I brought the Scout home
img_2496small.jpg

Fixed some rust
IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2810.jpg

Welded up the spiders in the Gov-bomb and shaved the lip off the 14B.

DSC01573[1].jpg

Chevy 52's up front and a bastard spring pack Ranger and Bronco II in the rear.

DSC02080.jpg

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Swapped in a steering column from late 80's Chevy, and power steering box from '95 Chevy with Ballistic Fab hi-steer arms (wagoneer knuckles milled by Jnutter), drop pitman arm for late 70's wagoneer.

P6150263.jpg

P6270036.jpg

And donned my blue nitrile gloves and swapped in a master cylinder from a 4 wheel disc brake '79 grand marquis (thanks HoS)
P7060053.jpg

Rear bumper 90% complete, I'm waiting to finish once I decide how much to cut the rear quarters.

P7040038.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
You did a great job of shoehorning that powerstroke in there, to borrow a tired cliche it looks like a factory installation:flipoff2: Is that steering box going to be able to stay inside the frame rail?

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
love build up threads..

That is going to be one heavy scout..
Well, I figure the 7.3L is around 900-1,000 lbs only ~200lbs more than a IH 345:laughing:

You did a great job of shoehorning that powerstroke in there, to borrow a tired cliche it looks like a factory installation:flipoff2: Is that steering box going to be able to stay inside the frame rail?
Yeah doesn't it? All those other guys are complete hacks :flipoff2:

My preliminary measurements the stock radiator is ~30"wx27"h which ain't gonna fit without serious modification, even without the steering box in the way. I plan on keepin the steering box on the inside of the frame and getting a 3 row aluminum radiator to keep keep things cool.

I'll start tearing down the F250, complete wiring harness, including the stock instrument cluster, AC/heating, and I even got a pimp Alpine AM/FM/CD player:grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
Not to throw too much cold water on things, but what kind of wheeling are you going to do with it, or what are you going to use it for? Will all that torque even be useable in a short, narrow, lighter rig? When wheeling with other brands of rigs I always thought my rigs biggest weakness was the extra weight I had on the frontend from a SV. In anything soft I sank like a rock when everyone else floated through. Your going a few hundred pounds heavier than a SV, plus a winch, plus eventually a 60. Unless you add a shitload of tube your frame will look like a pretzel. Cooling it will be a nightmare, as will be fitting anything and everything in the engine bay. I would look at dropping the scout body on the shortened ford frame if you have to have that engine. Everyone wants that diesel torque in a wheeler, but I just don't see it as practical or adventageous

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,090 Posts
Not this is looking like a proper build thread. (apposed to the onslaught of Newb posts we've been getting because of the BB demise).

I'm digging the fab work...... The PS box bracket is nice.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Not to throw too much cold water on things, but what kind of wheeling are you going to do with it, or what are you going to use it for? Will all that torque even be useable in a short, narrow, lighter rig? When wheeling with other brands of rigs I always thought my rigs biggest weakness was the extra weight I had on the frontend from a SV. In anything soft I sank like a rock when everyone else floated through. Your going a few hundred pounds heavier than a SV, plus a winch, plus eventually a 60. Unless you add a shitload of tube your frame will look like a pretzel. Cooling it will be a nightmare, as will be fitting anything and everything in the engine bay. I would look at dropping the scout body on the shortened ford frame if you have to have that engine. Everyone wants that diesel torque in a wheeler, but I just don't see it as practical or adventageous
If we were all practical, what would be the need for pirate 4x4? At least he is not going with a Detroit,353 or 471. keeping it in the family so to speak :D

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
You wheeled??? Was Hector still a pup? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
Scout/XJ/Toy all sold
2,219 Posts
Guido, looking forward to this build :smokin:

FWIW on the BB, or BP now, there's a guy (IH64Scout) that's swapping the 7.3 into a Scout2. May be helpful to check out.

1 - 20 of 302 Posts