Pirate 4x4 banner

281 - 300 of 302 Posts

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Finished up with 3 more coats of white base and then shot the clear. Not going to win the Concours d'Elégance anytime soon, but looks pretty good IMHO. Next up: Glass install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That looks bloody good to me. I wouldn't be too concerned about a couple of rough spots. If it looks too pretty you never want to risk scratching it. It's a Scout, made to use and abuse I say. Awesome job, well done.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #290 (Edited)
637184d1322953994-guidos-1965-scout-80-img_02611.jpg

They are/were Ballistic Fab weld on beadlocks on H2 rims that I bought off a guy here on PBB about 10 years ago. I ran them as beadlocks as my daily driver for about 5 years, sealed with RTV and balanced with airsoft BBs. Airsoft BBs worked like a champ.

Inner ring started to cone and I got bad leaks along the welds (not between the tire and rim, but between the inner ring and the rim) so they wouldn't hold air. I tried a few ideas to seal them, none worked, so I took off the outer ring and been running them as regular rims until I can afford something else. Probably not worth the time/money/effort to try and repair them since I'd need access to or pay for someone with a big lathe and a big TIG welder/MIG with spool gun.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
Got the back glass tinted and back in with new seals from Clester's Auto.

20180124_163919_resized.jpg

20180124_163940_resized.jpg

20180124_164104_resized.jpg

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
After my last wheeling trip in October, I kinda bent my winch mount a little. I did a field expedient repair (pulled off the winch and pounded the plate flat as I could get it with a BFH), but considering I had slapped it on "temporarily" ~10 years ago it held up remarkable well, even pulled and F350 out with it, fullly expecting it to come flying off.
"It's only temporary, unless it works!"~Red Green :laughing:

The original winch plate was too short to span the frame rails and only had 6 short stitch welds holding it to the bumper. I've got another 'wheeling trip coming up, so I finally decided I should get a larger winch plate.

I cut off the old winch plate and added a proper winch plate that was wide enough to span the frame rails, and has a 90* lip along the back edge for more rigidity. Even threw some fresh paint on the ol' winch.

20190419_192538a.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

20190422_200040a.jpg

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Santa brought me a D60 ARB for the front, but of course my usual procrastinating self waited until the week before a wheeling trip to stuff it in, as well as finally install the high steer tie rod that I've had for 6 months.

Didn't have a case spreader and couldn't get the old carrier out with a prybar, so I wrapped a strap around it and used the winch.

20190428_205253a.jpg

All braided stainless lines and Clippard pneumatic switches for the ARBs. No electrical solenoids, all manual (except for the 1 switch for the compressor) The clear PVC lines are the vent lines for the pneumatic switches.

20190527_204036a.jpg

Of course my new high steer tie rod wanted to occupy the same real estate as my lower radiator hose, so I had to rework that.

20190514_232745a.jpg

20190514_232731a.jpg

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
I’ve pulled 1/2 dozen gears out using 4x4 wood blocks, bottle jack & a ratchet strap. Best part is when it pops out it hits the wood.

·
Registurd Abuser
2,726 Posts
Looks like a good time. How did the new tires perform?

I found that putting a box end on a ring gear bolt and rolling it up against the housing then using a big pry bar under the lowest bolt and the housing pops them right out.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Guido, I'm about to start on my 1966 Scout 800 build with HP D60's front & rear, but wondering how wide your axles are? I'd imaging full width (66-67") but narrowed up with the H2 wheels, but wanted to confirm.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #299 (Edited)
Looks like a good time. How did the new tires perform?

I found that putting a box end on a ring gear bolt and rolling it up against the housing then using a big pry bar under the lowest bolt and the housing pops them right out.
Was going to try that, but ring gear bolts were 15/16"? 13/16"? Didn't have not a box end wrench that fit. I had a socket, but that wouldn't wedge in there properly to drive the carrier out.

Very happy with the Maxxis Razr, for such an aggressive tread, they are fairly quiet on-road and did very well off road. Threw 14oz of Airsoft BBs in when I mounted them.

Guido, I'm about to start on my 1966 Scout 800 build with HP D60's front & rear, but wondering how wide your axles are? I'd imaging full width (66-67") but narrowed up with the H2 wheels, but wanted to confirm.
Yep, full width, I did not narrow them. Front Chevy SRW D60 is ~69.5" wide WMS-WMS and the 14BFF is ~67" WMS-WMS in rear.

281 - 300 of 302 Posts