·
Registered
1,527 Posts
top notch! now when is gonna be done?

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Thanks guys, as long as I continue to make progress like I have been, I hope to get it driveable by the end of June. I still have a bunch of wiring to do (I've got the entire wiring harness from the F250), mount and plumb the fuel tank, get/mount shocks, and I need to order my doubler and get it mounted so I can get driveshafts sorted out.

Yesterday, I got a my new steering ujoint to replace the rag joint at the steering box and stabbed the steering column back in for mock up. It just clears the driverside exhaust manifold and steering pump, but I will have to re-work two of the mounting bolts on the PS box :mad: I did such a nice job when I originally did the powersteering swap, that it will be a bitch to cut out and sleeve the new holes. The good thing is since the stock crossmember is gone I was able to rotate the box down a bit for a better pitman arm angle.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
A little more progress. When I originally installed the power steering box, I had to mount it to clear the stock crossmember and it was angled a little steeper than I wanted. With the stock crossmember out of the way, I could tilt it down a bit to get a better pitman arm angle and steering shaft angle. Unfortunately I did just an awesome job sleeving the frame and building the mount that it was a PITA to move 2 of the bolt holes 3/4".:mad1:

I had just enough room for the steering shaft to clear the fender and exhaust manifold, I added an extra mount to help keep the shaft lined up, it's an exhaust clamp and U bolt:

P5100001.JPG

Steering shaft sneaks out just under the PS pump:
P5100002.JPG

Built a new steering column mount that reused the original firewall mount and bolts onto the pedal assembly:

P5100003.JPG

P5100004.JPG

The old rag joint steering wasn't cutting it, got a U-joint from Speedway motors.

P5100006.JPG

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Yup, allen head without the lock nut on it. It will probably come in and out a few more times before it's in for good.

Coming up next...finish mounting the radiator, wiring harness, mounting the fuel tank, plumbing, and routing the exhaust.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
I finished up mounting the radiator and AC condenser :beer:
After scratching my head a bit on how to mount the radiator and clear the PS box, I ended up notching the frame and sinking the radiator down about 3". This allowed me to tie into a new crossmember (1/4" angle) that passes under the PS box. Originally, I measured for fitting the radiator above the frame which limited the height to 19". If the 27.5" x 19" x 3" radiator has trouble keeping things cool, I now have room for a 27.5" x 22" x 3" rad if I need it. :cool:

I reused some the F250 radiator brackets, and a few other odds and ends I had laying around. I used 3/16 high density foam automotive weather stripping to cushion the radiator. I cut up 2 sets of barrel hinges for my clamping tabs, and to mount the AC condenser.

Lower crossmember/ radiator mount:

P5230018.JPG

P5270026.JPG

P5270023.JPG

P5270025.JPG

AC condenser mounted:
P5270031.JPG

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
A few more of the radiator, everything fits under the hood.

P5270032.JPG

P5270033.JPG

P5270030.JPG

Bling-Bling :grinpimp:Jed's Machine 203-205 doubler
38 lbs of beautifully machined steel with a billet 8620 32 spline input shaft They can respline your old shaft, or for about $60 more go for the upgraded shaft. Mine was ~$625 shipped. I ordered mine unwelded since I don't know how much I can clock the 205 yet.

Super quick service I ordered on Friday and got it on Wednesday (with a Memorial Day holiday)
http://www.jedsmachining.com/

P5270028.JPG

P5270029.JPG

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
A few more pics of the 7.3L shoved in there. :beer: Up next... fuel and wiring :grinpimp:

P5240021.JPG

P5240022.JPG

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Yup, there's a spot for overflow bottle between the battery and blower motor on the passenger side fender that will be the highest point in the system.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
UPDATE: As of 20090629 at 0205 hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! Wooo Hoooo
It actually started quite easily, just a few seconds of cranking and she roared to life I was worried that since the fuel lines had been disconnected for so long that it would take a while to start.

I still have a bunch of work to finish though.

I've been busy the last few weeks, I got the Ford fuel tank mounted and the fuel lines plumbed, finished installing the 203-205 doubler, made a rear driveshaft, routed the exhaust, finished the hooking up the engine harness wiring, and a bunch of other odds and ends.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
81 - 100 of 302 Posts