Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 302 Posts

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Yes, yes it is. :cool:

Nothing like a PCS move to put the pressure on :p I work better under pressure. I should be able to get some good wrench time in and the garage won't be 120*

So...slacker, made any progress on the Warpony? :flipoff2:

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Thanks BinderBound :beer: I remember reading through your TracTracTor build back when I first got my Scout.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Sorry, I'm back in Iraq. Ask me again in about 3 months. :flipoff2:

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Thanks, will do :usa:

plug ugly, something that might help you with your spring placement, I read a thread about setting shackle angle (there were a few posts by trkklr77 IIRC) and using the measurements of the flat spring when figuring out spring/shackle placement.

Here's what I did: I dropped a plumb bob from the frame where I wanted the axle centerline to be, then measured forward the same amount as the center pin to the center of the eye (26" for 52" Chevy springs) and tacked my front spring hangers on. With the springs bolted up to the axle, lowerd the weight down on the springs with a block of wood on each side to make sure the spring eye would clear the frame. I bolted up the shackle and set the shackle angle at ride height to see where I needed to mount the hanger. Double checked to make sure everything was square and even. I still had to mess with my shackle angle a bit before I got it where I wanted it bit it seemed to work pretty well. HTH :beer:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Thanks BinderBound :beer: I remember reading through your TracTracTor build back when I first got my Scout.
Thank god you didn't do ANYTHING I did.:flipoff2: I dont know what I was doing exactly, I think it was more luck than anything that it held together this long. Your build is super cool!

Stay safe!

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
All right...time for some updates!!!

I made it home from Iraq at the beginning of October and after some relaxation I got to work on the Scout. Once again, I'll be getting transferred again soon and I have to get the Scout street-worthy, registered and insured so the Army will ship it to Hawaii.

First, I redid both sides of the floor with .125" diamond tread floorplate and built some seat brackets with some 1.25"x.080" square tube:

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Once I had my floors fixed up, I could get to work on my mini boatsides. The mini boatsides are 2x2x.188 angle, 1x2x.080 rect tube, and 3"x.188" strap/flat stock. There are 20 bolts in each one (eight 3/8" bolts countersunk along the bottom, and twelve 3/8" bolts along the top edge with nut plates inside) the mini boatsides took care of my rusty rocker panels, protect the stock side gas tanks, give me some protection and a little more clearance under the doors/rocker panel. I will be trimming the fenders and clean up the edges.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I've got the 19 gal F250 tank, but I'm keeping the saddle tanks becasue I'm thinking about using the saddle tanks as a reserve, or for waste veggie oil and/or bio diesel and use the Ford tank selector valve to switch back and forth.

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,090 Posts
Welcome back/thanks for you service.

Make sure you get most of the stuff you need before you go to Hawaii.
My buddy just moved back & he said life there was grand, as long as you didn't need anything from the mainland....

·
Registered
849 Posts
GLAD YOU MADE IT BACK SAFE AND SOUND!

Good to see some progress being made.

just a thought, but what about putting 1/4 or 3/8 flat stock between the bolt heads, to prevent a rock from snagging and tearing a bolt head.
That is a great idea:smokin:

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Hope you racked up the hours while deployed, I hear they're hard to come by in HI.
Nope, I was on a MiTT with the Iraqi Army, not flying :(

welcome back quido.

just a thought, but what about putting 1/4 or 3/8 flat stock between the bolt heads, to prevent a rock from snagging and tearing a bolt head.
I like the exposed bolts, but if it's a problem, I could always use some button head allen head bolts.

121 - 140 of 302 Posts