Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Good to see ya back Man! Damn, it just seems like last month you moved down to Texas.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Happy Thanksgiving :beer:
The Scout is on the way to Hawaii. I had it dropped off in Dallas yesterday, it gets shipped to San Diego, then on a boat to Hawaii.

After a serious wrench-a-thon I got it put back together and registered.

After fabricating, installing and removing so many parts to make sure everything was going to fit together correctly it feels good to be on the home stretch of "final" assembly. Over the last three weeks, I fabricated a new dash (I'll post pics of that later), installed the rollbar and seatbelt mounts, installed the XRC10 winch, fabbed up emergency brake system, pulled the top off, and sprayed Al's DIY bedliner on the tub.

http://www.alsliner.com/index.php

The Al's Liner is some pretty cool stuff. It's a 3 part polyurethane bedliner that you mix and spray on. I'm sure it's too thick in some places and too thin in others, but for a rookie bedliner sprayer-on-er I think it came out pretty damn good. I used 2 gallons.

PB151510.jpg

PB151511.jpg

PB151515.jpg

I wanted to sink the winch down behind the bumper, but I'm running out of time to get it done, so I just stuck it up top, looks pretty good so it will probably stay there. I added some blingin' stainless hood louvers too (à la Rick Westra)

PB151512.jpg

Here's the top going back on:
PB151517.jpg

Next up: ARB locker, and reinstall the dash and finish some electrical wiring for the turn signals and speedometer.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
The Scout is registered and about 90-95% complete and ready to be my daily driver. I I finished up some wiring and got turn signals and running/parking lights hooked up.

My brake light switch seems to have shit the bed. It's a hydraulic switch plumbed in just off the master cylinder. I can get the brake lights on with a jumper wire, but the switch isn't working. I got a replacement, but with the limited tools I have since the movers came and packed up all I couldn't get the old switch off. I think I'm going to have to re-do some brake line plumbing to get my brake lights fixed once I get my Scout and tools back in the same place.

I have to pass inspection to get it from the dock once it arrives in Hawaii, so I'll rig up a momentary switch on the pedal to get past the inspection (I hope).

Here's some pics of the dash, I still have to finish up a little finish work around the edges and install the rest of my gauges (pyro, boost, oil pressure, and water temp) but it's mostly done. I built a frame from 1.25 x.083 and 1" x .063 square tubing and bent the aluminum diamond tread around it. I did the long break along the top edge with my sheet metal brake, and the rest I beat into submission with a 3lb deadblow hammer. There's about 60 screws holding the diamond tread skin on the frame.

PB181525.jpg

PB181522.jpg

I also got the ARB installed in the rear. I still need to plumb the compressor and airlines.

PB161520.jpg

That's a Ruff Stuff diff cover: 3/8" thick, fully welded and machined flat for a leak free fit.

PB171521.jpg

Nothing to do now but find a place to live that's Scout friendly, and wait for my junk to arrive.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #146

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Thanks guys :beer:

Dan, any progress on the Warpony?

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
:( That sucks dude, hang in there. Good luck on the job search.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
So I was going back through my pics and found a few that I hadn't downloaded yet.
Hey Mechanos, I finally got around to fixing my caster angle on the front. :flipoff2:

When I first swapped in the 10 bolt, I had mounted the front of the springs just under the bumper, as I didn't want big fangs sticking down and killing my approach angle. Unfortunately, that gave me about 14* positive caster (top of knuckle tilted back) which wasn't a big deal when it was sitting on jack stands :laughing:
I ordered 7* STEEL caster shims from DIY4X but when I finally got around to putting the shims in... springs hit the tie rod:mad: I tried taking out the overload, nope. :mad: Still hit.

So... I ended up cutting off the spring hangers and making new ones. I used some extra 3/8" shackles from Ruff Stuff, 3"x.250 square tubing, and some 3/16" flat stock. The angled piece is part if the original spring hanger. I still need to add some gussets, but I don't think they are going anywhere. I dropped the front mounting holes down about 3.5" which gave me a MUCH better caster angle and leveled out my springs.

I haven't measured it yet, but it looks like it will be good, and I shouldn't have to do a cut and turn. Which is good becasue I don't plan on keeping the 10 bolt anyway...

I might have a lead on a D60::grinpimp::

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #154 (Edited)
WoooHooo. I found a D60F. :grinpimp: Went and looked at it today. DRW/w 4.10s (which is the ratio I need) The guy has a set of SRW hubs that he'll swap. :flipoff2:
I should pick it up after Christmas.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
It will be a happy Guido, too. I won't cringe everytime it's in 4WD waiting for something to go :nuke:

I figure I'll have a better chance selling the 10 bolt if it's still in one piece.
:laughing:

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)
Happy New Year!

The Good News: Well, last week the Scout arrived in Hawaii and I got it over to the new Casa de Lyons. I guess I did pretty well on my front end alignment and caster, as it's maiden voyage I drove it ~30 miles from the port to my house.

While not a white knuckle ride, it was pretty nerve wracking, not knowing if it was going to make it. After all, I had only driven it around the block once before it was loaded up to ship.
It did fine up to 55mph, then I started to get some body sway. I think I'll adjust the shocks (Rancho RS9000XL have 9 positions of adjustment) and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I'll hit the junkyard for some sway bars.

The AirSoft BBs did great to balance the tires, and it didn't overheat or burst into flames, so that was a big plus :D

I'll be picking up my D60F after the New Year.:grinpimp:

The Bad News: Boy, have I got a bone to pick with the trucking company that picked up the Scout. As I was going through the inspection with the guys at the dock, I noticed a HUGE problem with my hood. At first I thought something had been dropped on it or someone stood on the hood, but after a closer look, it was obvious that the hood came unlatched and smashed into the top of the windshield.:mad3:

The only time the Scout had EVER been going fast enough for that to happen had to be in I-35N going to Dallas.
The shipping documents show that there was a large dent in the hood when it was delivered to Dallas for shipment. So obviously, it was damaged between Corpus Christi and Dallas, not between Dallas and Honolulu.

The latch at the top of the windshield is bent, and there is a larger crease across the center of the hood, and the hinge on the passenger side is broken.

As happy as I was that the Scout made it here....I am madder than a wet chicken right now.
I'm going to contact the trucking company and see what they plan on doing to compensate me...but I have a bad feeling about getting any $$$ out of them.

I'm sure I'll be able to get it straightened out, but it pisses me off that the guy didn't even tell me about it. I mean I know the Scout is rough around the edges and will never get 1st place at the "Show and Shine" but I guess I'll add that to the body work I need to do before I can paint it.

The Auto Skills Center here has a paint booth, so I'm going to paint it myself, eventually.

If I can get a hinge, I think I can get the hood reasonably straight again.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Dude, I looked at your pictures before i read your post. My first thought was "how did he get his hood to open so far? I did that any my hinge broke." That sucks, i hope someone will fess up and you dont get screwed on this one.

I have that exact hood, I'd give it to you if you arrange the ride. A few of the bolts snapped at the hinge, but would probably come out with an EZ-out. Same color too

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #159 (Edited)
Yeah well...thanks for the offer, but I think $hipping to Hawaii might kinda be a little on the expensive side. :laughing:

*edit* might still be cheaper than getting the hood fixed at a body shop, though. Might be an option if the trucking company screws me.

My hood opened that far before it was broken, when I was working on the engine swap, I put the hood up and latched it to the windshield.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Well...I finally got my D60F :grinpimp: and drug it home on Saturday. It's DRW, but I pulled a set of SRW hubs off anothe D60 that he had. It will be a bit before I swing it under the Scout, (I need to order high steer arms) but when I do, it *should* bolt right in.

141 - 160 of 302 Posts