Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What i.d. line size did you run from the box to the cylinder?
I've seen both 1/4" and 3/8". I was wondering if there was any noticable differences. I'm looking at either a 1.5"bore Columbus cyl. or a Chief cyl. The Columbus has 3/8" ports where as the Chief as 1/4" ports.
Any thoughts???
I'm using the factory V6 pump and ifs box for this setup,unless I can figure out how to graf my GM pump onto the V6.

tom

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
it doesn't matter. 1/4 or 3/8

·
Team *******
786 Posts
Either one of those hose sizes will work. Your problem is going to be that stock toyota pump. The volume is way to low. It puts out plenty of pressure but volume is the ticket to hydro assist. A Saginaw ham can style pump works best.
I'm working on a tech article right now for Saginaws and jeep and hopefully ford pumps on how to bump up the pressure and volume on these units. Maybe you could use the same mods for that toy pump. I would do them myself but I have none to test with out here in west Texas.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Originally posted by TheLakeRat:
<STRONG>Either one of those hose sizes will work. Your problem is going to be that stock toyota pump. The volume is way to low. It puts out plenty of pressure but volume is the ticket to hydro assist. A Saginaw ham can style pump works best.
I'm working on a tech article right now for Saginaws and jeep and hopefully ford pumps on how to bump up the pressure and volume on these units. Maybe you could use the same mods for that toy pump. I would do them myself but I have none to test with out here in west Texas.</STRONG>
add a big trans cooler??

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Originally posted by SeaBass44:
add a big trans cooler??[/QB][/QUOTE]

Its not a lack of system or reserve volume. The pump itself does not flow enough fluid to fill the cyl in a reasonable time.

·
Team *******
786 Posts
Yeah what he said. Sorry if i didn't make myself clear. Thanks Jeeprz.

·
Team *******
786 Posts
It sure won't hurt, and always a good idea.
Running synthetic fluid will help keep the heat down also.

·
THE ROCK GODS
1,371 Posts
3/8 line vs 1/4" line

How can the size of the hydraulic lines not matter, Simple math shows that Friction loss is almost twice as much with 1/4" lines than it is with 3/8. I understand that the pump can only fill a line/cylinder in a certain amount of time, but isnt that partly due to the resistance it meets.

So are you telling me that 3/8 lines wont turn the steering faster than 1/4", even if the pump has been modified for greater pressure and pilot hole has been drilled for greater volume.

please explain?

B2Krawler

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
@ 1500 psi and maybe 5 gallons a minnute that extra 1/8" aint shit if we were talking the difference between ¼" and ½" then there would be a substantal difference in flow

according to my refrence chart for central hydraulics ¼" will flow 10 gallons a minute @2000psi and 3/8" will do 12. In this application it probably wont matter unless you are cycling the steering back and forth 2 times a second

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
TheLakeRat said:
Either one of those hose sizes will work. Your problem is going to be that stock toyota pump. The volume is way to low. It puts out plenty of pressure but volume is the ticket to hydro assist. A Saginaw ham can style pump works best.
I'm working on a tech article right now for Saginaws and jeep and hopefully ford pumps on how to bump up the pressure and volume on these units. Maybe you could use the same mods for that toy pump. I would do them myself but I have none to test with out here in west Texas.

I would like to see your wright up on this when your done. I plan on hydro assist on my jeep:D

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
TheLakeRat said:
Maybe you could use the same mods for that toy pump. I would do them myself but I have none to test with out here in west Texas.
I have a spare 4cyl one if you want to take a shot at it? :D I'll be calling Monday to get my hoses from you. Forgot them when I ordered the ram.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i use -6 lines.

line size matters and is one of the many small details that add up to building a complete system that works properly.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
what kind of coolers is everybody running and where is the best place to get them? Can somebody show me a picture of a setup with a cooler? What line should you run them on? Anybody run filters and if so what kind?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts