Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

from what i found on the internet the GVWR of the Power Wagon in 2005 was 8500lbs, which seems a little low to me but i guess they calculated very carefully because of the various possibilitys of offrad-extra forces the trucks has to take, so it is pretty clear that the gvwr has to be lower than the one allowed on a normal ram truck which is used most times only on-road.

But is it still 8500lbs or did they increase it a little bit over the past years?

Greetiings

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Why not look on the Dodge.com website and check the specs?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh damn if you choose change vehicle and scroll it down to to the last end, there really is the power wagon. And it is still only 8500lbs! But why the heck the best offroad-version is not available with the shortest wb ???

Greetings

·
Registered
37 Posts
PW have been crewcab only since 2009. They did a regular cab until 2008. I have been looking for a regular cab used, but they are either beat to hell or the owner knows how rare they are and wants too much $$$$

·
Registered
23 Posts
dont they use softer leaf springs on the PWs? is that why the towing is down?
I just picked up a 2011 Power Wagon. It has the same number of leaves in the main pack in the rear as the Cummins, but I do not know the exact rate. It does not have the overload leaves though.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Why not look on the Dodge.com website and check the specs?
Because it is not on the Dodge website, it is on the Ram website. Get with the program, Guido, Luigi and the rest of the Italians at Fiat wanta da Dodges to be sporty cars eh! Da Truks are da rams.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone got any idea if and when dodge will release a completeley new chassis like chevy did with the silverade? Since the actuel design is pretty old, it may be about time. Maybe then they will increase the gvw of the pw a little as well.

Greetings

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Because it is not on the Dodge website, it is on the Ram website. Get with the program, Guido, Luigi and the rest of the Italians at Fiat wanta da Dodges to be sporty cars eh! Da Truks are da rams.
Don't remind me, lol.

Or because no one wants a Dodge, so they separated the name.

:flipoff2:
You would rather have a Fiat? Know how we know you're gay? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Anyone got any idea if and when dodge will release a completeley new chassis like chevy did with the silverade? Since the actuel design is pretty old, it may be about time. Maybe then they will increase the gvw of the pw a little as well.

Greetings
My understanding is, higher GVW=stiffer springs

Stiffer springs= Less offroad performance (think flex)

I dont think you can have your offroad capability AND your GVW unless you resort to some sort of suspension accessory like airbags and such.

Make sense?

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Did you guys watch the latest episode of Jersey Shore?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never watched this crap ;)

I don't think it is this simple, stiffier springs won't help allone. Maybe the frame used right now is not strong enough to withstand the extreme stresses of heavy offroading with a higher gvw. Remeber that even the frame of the hummvee got redesigned for the increasement of the gvw from 10.000 to 12.000lbs and this old humveee frame was a monster.

Greetings

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Never watched this crap ;)

I don't think it is this simple, stiffier springs won't help allone. Maybe the frame used right now is not strong enough to withstand the extreme stresses of heavy offroading with a higher gvw. Remeber that even the frame of the hummvee got redesigned for the increasement of the gvw from 10.000 to 12.000lbs and this old humveee frame was a monster.

Greetings

If you want a heavier payload get a regular 2500 Ram 4x4 with a Hemi, or a 3500 Cummins if you want an oil burner. The frame on the 3rd gen ram is plenty stout. The GVW of the power wagon is lower because it is designed to go off road more than carry big loads, that is what the 3500 is for. I was never a follower of the hummer, but I thought the GVW was more than 12 lbs :flipoff2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well 12.000lbs Off-road. I don't think that a 3500 could handle that much weight offroad either i just had to stp where the hummer would drive trough, or the frame would break i think.

Greetings

1 - 18 of 18 Posts