Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With everything going on in the economy, the wife and I are wanting to wash our hands of our payment on her 2016 4runner. We're not even close to being upside down, but regardless we want to get rid of it.

I picked up a REALLY nice GX470 this week that I've been trying to buy for almost 5 months, problem is that it needs a paint job (factory defective/peeling paint, seems to be common on alot of JDM vehicles from the era). Thinking about just doing a bed liner finish, done alot of research and I think I'm going to go with raptor liner, product seems to hold up well with good prep.

Wanted to ask mainly about lift kits. Why is it some kits (2-3 inch range) come with new upper A arms and some dont? I would figure with only 2-3 inches camber wouldn't be effected enough to require new a arms?

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is pirate, and unless it’s getting a SAS most people will hate on it.

Expedition portal is a way better resource for those vehicles.

But if this a build thread I’ll follow. Been wanting to replace my 3rd gen 4runner with a GX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,184 Posts
This is pirate, and unless it’s getting a SAS most people will hate on it.

Expedition portal is a way better resource for those vehicles.

But if this a build thread I’ll follow. Been wanting to replace my 3rd gen 4runner with a GX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fuck that, who gives a shit if someone hates on it, this is PBB.

I’m interested in following as well

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
to be perfectly honest, i tried like hell to get my wife to buy a GX470 a few years ago because i think they would be super dope to do up :smokin:

bedliner or whatever heavy epoxy used as paint for the whole thing is gay as aids though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to be perfectly honest, i tried like hell to get my wife to buy a GX470 a few years ago because i think they would be super dope to do up :smokin:

bedliner or whatever heavy epoxy used as paint for the whole thing is gay as aids though.
I agree completely, but I live in Hawaii and a "decent" paint job is $6k... And then it's also my wife, so it will get scratched, dented etc. I've made her protect the 4Runner but she just cant have nice things.

I've saw this Prado with OD green bedliner that I liked alot. I've also seen a few landcruisers online with similar bedliners sprayed on.

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
oh yeah, there is no such thing as paying somebody else for a decent paint job cheap. even maaco is several grand for something halfway worth a shit.

paint brush and house paint > bedliner though :flipoff2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
oh yeah, there is no such thing as paying somebody else for a decent paint job cheap. even maaco is several grand for something halfway worth a shit.

paint brush and house paint > bedliner though :flipoff2:
I don't think you understand... $6000 gets you the cheapest mainland maaco paintjob.

The paint on the vehicle is horrible... absolutely horrible and I have a moral objection to spending $6k on a paintjob that isn't going to even last 4 years. Hell I paid $4k for the car which is a deal on this island.

temperature and humidity at my house is too hard to control, it would orange peel like crazy if I did normal paint. It'd be alot of effort to just look like shit

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
It'd be alot of effort to just look like shit
yes, that is what bedliner is :flipoff2:

it just happens to be more expensive than regular paint that looks like shit :lmao:

edit: anyways, get to posting pictures :smokin: i'm curious how much of the suspension swaps over with the same year 4runner stuff

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
$6k for maaco? Holly fawk, my buddy had an F250 done for like $1k. Nothing great but it looked fine.

Bedliner is the worst, I'd rather have any other option than that. At least rattle can could be sanded off if you change you mind. I also have to wonder how much weight a Bedliner paint job adds.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
$6k for maaco? Holly fawk, my buddy had an F250 done for like $1k. Nothing great but it looked fine.

Bedliner is the worst, I'd rather have any other option than that. At least rattle can could be sanded off if you change you mind. I also have to wonder how much weight a Bedliner paint job adds.
He’s exaggerating. Hawaii is expensive but not that expensive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
He’s exaggerating. Hawaii is expensive but not that expensive.
I'm on big island, not Oahu. It is that expensive. I can get a $1500 paint job right now, but it'll be bad... Really bad. $6000 here would be a decent quality macco job.

I just got an old Clark forklift repainted at work that was in HORRIBLE shape and the guy did a great job but it was still $1500.

regardless, I feel my my original question has been completely over looked?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Can you do a cheap wrap?
I would assume the better kits come with arms to fix angles that get fawked with.
And we need some pics of the wife, for science.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I'm on big island, not Oahu. It is that expensive. I can get a $1500 paint job right now, but it'll be bad... Really bad. $6000 here would be a decent quality macco job.

I just got an old Clark forklift repainted at work that was in HORRIBLE shape and the guy did a great job but it was still $1500.

regardless, I feel my my original question has been completely over looked?
To get the best handling you will want with either new or adjustable arms. We just did a 2.5 inch lift on my friends shitbox TJ. They said he didn’t need new arms but he has a slight death wobble at speed so he’s buying the adjustable arms to correct the camber.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To get the best handling you will want with either new or adjustable arms. We just did a 2.5 inch lift on my friends shitbox TJ. They said he didn’t need new arms but he has a slight death wobble at speed so he’s buying the adjustable arms to correct the camber.
I don't think we're talking about the same thing

1 - 20 of 33 Posts