Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
With everything going on in the economy, the wife and I are wanting to wash our hands of our payment on her 2016 4runner. We're not even close to being upside down, but regardless we want to get rid of it.

I picked up a REALLY nice GX470 this week that I've been trying to buy for almost 5 months, problem is that it needs a paint job (factory defective/peeling paint, seems to be common on alot of JDM vehicles from the era). Thinking about just doing a bed liner finish, done alot of research and I think I'm going to go with raptor liner, product seems to hold up well with good prep.

Wanted to ask mainly about lift kits. Why is it some kits (2-3 inch range) come with new upper A arms and some dont? I would figure with only 2-3 inches camber wouldn't be effected enough to require new a arms?
Iirc, the GX has a similar front suspension to the taco and tundra. If you lift it 2-3 inches it will destroy the upper ball joint and limit down travel with a stock upper arm.

Here is what I suggest:
1. Upgraded lift coil over from Camburg, TC, etc
2. Upper arm from Camburg, TC, etc.
( I am running a uniball arm but that may fail state inspection if you have it on HI. It is also exposed so it may rust. )
3. Knuckle gusset
4. TC eurathane rack bushings

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you check out the Tacoma section there is a thread discussion of the ifs. Depending on your fab skills you could build a new upper that is longer but without out moving the joint rearward. I believe the lowers are the same as a second gen taco you would then cut out the cast lower bj mount and swap from side to side . This will move your tire ahead and get your caster back . The typical upper arm moves it back to get caster.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I don't think we're talking about the same thing
Camber is camber. I’ll state it again, you will need new control arms if you don’t want to fuck up your camber and get death wobble like my friend is dealing with. It comes on at around 60 mph and clears up once you hit 70. Not fun to deal with.

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
Iirc, the GX has a similar front suspension to the taco and tundra. If you lift it 2-3 inches it will destroy the upper ball joint and limit down travel with a stock upper arm.

Here is what I suggest:
1. Upgraded lift coil over from Camburg, TC, etc
2. Upper arm from Camburg, TC, etc.
( I am running a uniball arm but that may fail state inspection if you have it on HI. It is also exposed so it may rust. )
3. Knuckle gusset
4. TC eurathane rack bushings
that's the part i'm curious about, how similar is the IFS to the taco/tundra stuff. If you can get off the shelf parts for those chassis to work, it'll be dope :smokin:

otherwise, custom stuff will get it done. but then we fall back in to the SAS vs IFS dollars per smile game :rasta:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wanted to ask mainly about lift kits. Why is it some kits (2-3 inch range) come with new upper A arms and some dont? I would figure with only 2-3 inches camber wouldn't be effected enough to require new a arms?
To answer your question in your original post: some kits come with an upper arm because they've increased the wheel travel enough to warrant it. I'd consider those kits better than a kit that doesn't come with an upper arm. I'm generalizing a bit here. One of the distinctions I believe you need to make is: are you lifting this to improve performance or lifting it for fun and a suspension performance gain isn't in the budget?

Look at Icon, Camburg, Total Chaos, etc. All of those are performance based kits - meaning they should give your front suspension more wheel travel and hopefully the arms are stronger than stock. A factory upper control arm on a 3in lift is going to likely be very limited on down-travel (droop travel) where the ball-joint is going to bind up. If you plan to upgrade your coilovers/struts to an aftermarket brand like Fox or King or Icon, then the upper control arm is a must. Otherwise you're leaving suspension travel on the table at the risk of damaging a spindle or UCA.

It's been said, but I'd scope out some other websites that are more geared toward the style your looking for. Pirate is full of guys that miss the old days and can't answer simple questions haha. :flipoff2:

If it were me, I'd call up Poly Performance and ask for Andy - he has a GX470 on an Icon kit that he built for wife & kid trips. He can also sell you that same kit :smokin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Camber is camber. I’ll state it again, you will need new control arms if you don’t want to fuck up your camber and get death wobble like my friend is dealing with. It comes on at around 60 mph and clears up once you hit 70. Not fun to deal with.
But you're talking about a TJ... Unless it's a typo and you meant FJ?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Same suspension as the FJCruiser. My 2012 is lifted almost 3 inches with stock control arms and castor and camber were adjusted back to spec. If you are just mall crawlin, a cheap spacer lift will get you there.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go 3" imo that drop bracket range. I know plenty of people do it, but that a lot of angle on stock ball joints. I know it's a different suspension on our 3rd gen 4runner, but I believe they are similar. Every thing I read online said you need a 3" lift and wheel spacers to fit 285s (narrow 33s) I got the bilsteins with the 4 positions for the coil bucket. (iirc: stock, 0.75" lift, 1.5" lift and 2.5" lift) I put them on the 0.75" and was able to fit 285s on stock 5th gen 4runner 17s with very minimal rubbing. I recently added a skid plate and winch bumper, which definitely brought it down. The plan is to go all the way up to get back to where I was before the extra weight.

I really like the adjustability of those shock without paying for full on coilovers. They were just a bit more than a regular replacement shock.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
$6k for maaco? Holly fawk, my buddy had an F250 done for like $1k. Nothing great but it looked fine.

Bedliner is the worst, I'd rather have any other option than that. At least rattle can could be sanded off if you change you mind. I also have to wonder how much weight a Bedliner paint job adds.
An entire vehicle usually is about 100 pounds worth of the shit. That is if its sprayed professionally

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So I've attached a photo of the car... Paint is in horrible shape. 2004 GX470, 190K miles. I paid $4250 for it, second cheapest GX for sale in Hawaii is $14000 with roughly the same miles and is on Oahu so it'd cost me an extra $1000 to ship young brothers to my island.

bought a 3 inch toytech lift with SPC upper control arms, 285/70R17 nitto trail grapplers, and Toyota TRD wheels (4runner).

I bought the SPC upper a arms so I can more the front wheels forward for clearance.

Bought an ironman 4x4 bumper and one of their 9500lbs synthetic rope winches. I'm a warn guy, but the bumper has to ship LTL and I'm basically getting free shipping on the winch as it's going on the LTL pallet. Otherwise I'd be in it for about $100 shipping.
Lexus GX470 2003-2009 | Toyota Prado 120 Classic Bumper

IRONMAN 4X4 9500LBS MONSTER WINCH WITH SYNTHETIC ROPE

Got a JWoffroad tire carrier
project GX Spare Tire Carrier 3.5

Also got a new touch screen head unit that's actually semi modern
10.4" Vertical Screen Android Navigation Radio for Lexus GX 470 2003 - 2009

I need to redo the tint on it as it's a cheap tint job from 10 years ago... And the exhaust is WAY too quiet so thinking resonator delete and a good ol fashioned glasspack.

I had a hard time finding rear window weather strip that wasn't chrome. I actually called a toyota dealership in Melbourne Australia trying to get them to ship me the black prado trim and they turned me onto partsouq.com in the middle east, still need to order this at some point as the weatherstripping is trash anyways.

PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

Product for the bedliner is u-pol tintable raptor. I called U-Pols tech support and was advised to get 3 gallons. Going to tint it olive drab green. You can do the math but material cost are up there... This aint the cheap autozone shit.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/raptor-5864/accessories-16449/truck---towing-16781/truck-accessories-25042/bed-liners---coatings-25173/truckbed-coating-17763/d06717c92017/raptor-1-gallon-tintable-bed-coating/up0821/6081766?brand=true&pos=10

Plan is to start sanding sometime friday... I'll follow up to this thread as things progress. Looking at a 1 month turn time HOPEFULLY.

Attachments

21 - 33 of 33 Posts