Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Yep.. I have mounted everything from quad tires to 38s ,, no problem. I figured out finally how to work the little dooby on the end of the bead seater bar .:)

best $29 I spent ... dispaly they sold me!!

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Cool. The HF here in town has it on sale right now for $35. Time to go grab one and hack it up. :cool:

·
Registered
468 Posts
anybody got a part number or something?? I cant find it on the website or in the catalog and I dont have a store near me

thanks

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no # but fyi any thing you buy at h/f ask the manager to sell it to you at the sale price. even if you can't remember what it is they will key the register and it tells them the sale price. cause almost every thing goes cheap at least 4 times a year. at least they do that in stockton. I can't remember what i really payed for this but it is on sale all the time too

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
You guys are happy with em? Man I bought one a few years ago and had to weld braces to just about every part of it to break beads. I bent the lever bar also.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I broke the lever bar trying to get my TSL SX bead over the rim. and I am not a big man. worked well for just about every other tire i tried mounting though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
hopefully bringing this old post back to life will provide me with some help.

I just bought the HF tire changer and cant seem to figure out how to use it.

I'm trying to mount a tire 33x12.50 on a 15x8 rim. I place the tire on top of the rim and the put the hook end of the bar on the lip of the rim opposite to me. I then pull the tire towards me so that the hook end is sanwiched between the bead and rim. From there, the instructions say to pull the bar towards you clockwise. When i do this, it just forces the bead away from the rim. I'm confused as to how to mount. Any help will be much appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Soapy Water works wonders. Doesn't chew up the beads thisway.
I spent 3 years working at my Uncles gas station back in the mid sixtys and that is all we had to change tires out. We thought we were in high cotton after he broke down and bought a pnuematic one. Must have changed out several thousand tire over the years.
And yes I have a Harbor Freight one. I even carry it in the motorhome when going wheeling. Makes you a lot of friends at camp. :D Just mount to the trailer.

SSSRodeo

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
My father in law has one that i use all the time. i poped all 4 of toymoto 39 ss on in 20 mins. A idea mount 6 foot arms on it so it doesnt move. His has a old pipe line metal wheel on it. just pick up and role.:D

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
I'm confused here, how do you turn it, or it doesn't have to revolve? I did work at a tireshop and peformed tire changing.
Thanks

What about those tire balancers at HF do they work?

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
MikeW said:
I'm confused here, how do you turn it, or it doesn't have to revolve? I did work at a tireshop and peformed tire changing.
Thanks

What about those tire balancers at HF do they work?
MikeW,T his is one of those 1950's style tire changers. It doesn't need air or electricity. Have you seen one? It bolts to the floor or reciever hitch or trailer, wherever and you do the rotating. It's just a pry bar set up that holds your rim on a stand. Really simple and they come in real handy out in the shop if you don't swap tires all day, every day.
The old bubble balancers are 1950's technology too.They work,only not as well as those computer whizz bangs ones at the tire stores now a days. Oh,and they don't new electricty either.
I've balanced a many a tires with a bubble.
SSSRodeo

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
SSSRodeo said:

MikeW,T his is one of those 1950's style tire changers. It doesn't need air or electricity. Have you seen one? It bolts to the floor or reciever hitch or trailer, wherever and you do the rotating. It's just a pry bar set up that holds your rim on a stand. Really simple and they come in real handy out in the shop if you don't swap tires all day, every day.
The old bubble balancers are 1950's technology too.They work,only not as well as those computer whizz bangs ones at the tire stores now a days. Oh,and they don't new electricty either.
I've balanced a many a tires with a bubble.
SSSRodeo
No, I never have, thanks for explaining it to me.:D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I carry HF tires spoons. They were something like $8-14 each. They don't take much longer to mount/dismount tires than the tire changer, and they take up no more room than a small pry bar so you can carry them on trail with ease.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry for bring this up, but this bar is a bitch, when i get it to about a foot left to bead, it wont budge. I broke off 4 5/16 bolts holding the thing to the floor, then when i do get close the bead just pops out on the opposite end, what kindda trick have you guys learned to mount some 36's????

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
754 Posts
Make sure the bead of the tire that is already over the lip of the rim is down in the deepest part of the "drop center" part of the the rim. Sometimes it will manage to get hung up on a part of the rim somewhere, and not be totally in the Drop center.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Little help please, iv got the tire on the rim just fine but its about an inch on each side away from the bead, no way i can get air in there, any tricks to get the beads closer to set????? Thanks for your help

1 - 20 of 33 Posts