Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
H I G H W A Y L E G A L ????? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Hey Guys ______ anybody knows if there are any legal restrictions on your truck (bumper height, light height etc.,) in Washington State. I live in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon) and I’ll be driving my rig up there (Wash.).Or are there any links that deal with such legalities????? _______ THANKS BAYRUNNER

·
Registered
70 Posts
i read something about your bumper can't be above 24"...

but pretty much from what i've seen is as long as your have mirrors, flaps that cover most of the tires, and your tires don't stick out (mine do, but i've lived for 4 months so far)

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
It all legal till you get pulled over. I drove my rig today about twenty miles on the street. If you dont drive like a ass they will leave you alone.

Dan

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Dan Dibble said:
It all legal till you get pulled over. I drove my rig today about twenty miles on the street. If you dont drive like a ass they will leave you alone.

Dan
This is very true around here. It also helps to be older with a gray beard. I believe the bumper height has to do with gross vehicle weight in this state. Mine is at 29" & I have never been hassled. I have only been pulled over for no mud flaps before I put them on.

·
Registered
734 Posts
bumper height

yo,
they go by GVRW. so, if your truck's GVRW is more than 4500 )it has to be my tacoma is) then your front bumper height should be no more than 27" and your rear shuold be no higher than 29". keep in mind they measure from STEEL only. if you have a plasitc valance and more than 1" of lift, you are busted. keep your mudflaps on the back, and avoid any state patrol cars. they are the onoly ones who give a damn about height.
good luck

josho

'96 sas tacoma, DD, 38" boggers, marlin, chebbies, and a tv.....

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
take a look in the newest 4wheeler. they have every states lift laws article. ive heard Washinton is very tough about theyre lift laws. you CANNOT have your tires wider than your fenders, youll make it about 2 miles in any direction before you get pulled over. I like in corvallis oregon, and i have talked to many other PWN'ers and thats what they tell me.

Callen

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
if it has oregon tags i dont think a washington officer can tell you too much about it.

kinda like im driving all over alabama with louisiana plates and an expired la inspection tag. they cant tell me anything for it being expired.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
bayrunner said:
Hey Guys ______ anybody knows if there are any legal restrictions on your truck (bumper height, light height etc.,) in Washington State. I live in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon) and I’ll be driving my rig up there (Wash.).Or are there any links that deal with such legalities????? _______ THANKS BAYRUNNER
Bayrunner,

From Four Wheeler (see the rags are good for something :flipoff2: )

Keep in mind these are only "lift laws"

Oregon: Headlights no more then 54 inches above the ground
Washington: Based on GVWR
4500#'s and under= bumpers not to exceed 24 inches above in front and 26 inches above in back
4501-7500#'s=27 and 29 respectivly
7501-10000#'s=28 and 30
Head and tail lights must not exceed 72 inches.

What kinda rig you taking? Remember in Oregon, you must have a windsheild (yes talked to the Statey myself), mud flaps and fender flares. I have been told that fender flares are only if the tires stick 6" out past the body, but can't confirm it. Also, remember if you legal in Oregon and live in Oregon you should be legal in WA as you just passing through. Just like other states allow people to pull two trailers and if on vacation this is legal in another state, as it's legal in the state you reside.

Good luck! And don't be an ass you'll probably be fine:D

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Remember in Oregon, you must have a windshield (yes talked to the Statey myself),
FYI I did the same here in Idaho. No windshield needed! :D

Trucks up here get beyond normal boundaries all the time but no one gets bothered. If your smart enough to run mudflaps when it's raining. Sober up before you drive. Have most of the parts on your truck and most of them work.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Dan Dibble said:

Dan
LOL, uhhh... no.

You do get pulled over here for no mudflaps, and depending on where you are the cops can be total dicks. The Washington State Patrol is largely not the issue though.

Fender Flares - your tires can't stick out past the flares. I've read 1.5" is "ok", but I think that law changed.

btw - I think washington doesn't require a windshield either, I just think you need windshield wipers (stupid yes), and gogles/eye protecion.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Here in MO... windsheilds are not required. However, if you do put any sort of windshield on, then you MUST have wipers AND the windshield cannot be 'scratchable' by the use of the wipers. So in other words.... plexiglass won't cut it.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Don't believe half the crap Four Wheeler writes about lift laws. They claim Washington has a 72" headlight limit . . . try 54" instead. Best thing to do is to just go into the State Patrol office and ask them for the sheet that covers all this crap. Being from Oregon you SHOULDN'T run into any problems if you're up visiting but my buddy got screwed when he tried to come over the bridge. They pulled him over 1 mile into WA and told him to either turn around or get it impounded. Staters here are total nazis. Then again he's got 14" of lift so it's pretty easy to spot his rig.

One thing I do know is that you HAVE to have mud flaps even if you're from out of state. Other than that the bumper height is not supposed to matter for visitors.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If your coming up here and going through Ellensburg to get to Naches, or The Moon/Funny rocks you should be fine w/ mirrors and Flaps..... Atleast us yocals get away w/ that much anyway! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
343 Posts
There is also something gay stating that a lift has to be built by an aftermarket company. WTF??

I used to get pulled over all of the time due to no mud flaps, and my tires sticking out. "Oh?? I'll get right on it." never got a ticket.

M.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
ivanribic said:
Staters here are total nazis. Then again he's got 14" of lift so it's pretty easy to spot his rig.
Serves the dumbass right for running around with that ridiculous amount of lift :flipoff2:

Just be aware that if you have a highly modified/big truck you WILL get hasseled by WA patrol. Doesn't matter that its legal in Oregon...they will cite you if they want. Soon followed by a loss in court if you fight it. Been there, done that. I don't even try to drive my rig into Washington anymore... :shaking:

·
Registered
203 Posts
shadetreezj said:
There is also something gay stating that a lift has to be built by an aftermarket company. WTF??
This is often misquoted on sites talking about lift laws. You can't have a home made body lift (so pull those 2x4's out of there! :flipoff2: ) but there's nothing stating that you have to have an aftermarket company make your lift. The only thing really prohibited in terms of suspension is altering your springs by means of heating them or welding on them (you can build your own leaf packs).

Pro, we need to get some hydraulics and dubs on that thing so you can drop it and drive in Washington. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
143 Posts
i ran 14.50 cepeks on my cj for years w/out harassent in vancouver,wa. they stuck out way past the flares and no mud flaps. nobody in my club(washougal bunch) ever had a problem with the cops and lifts. even chopped up crap. same with trailerers. i know guys that didn't run fenders 'cause there junk wouldn't between them. i was never f'ed with when i lived there. in fact, one of my buddies got pulled over stoned out of his mind coming off of larch mountain one night and the cop told him to slow down and drive straighter. the cops in sw wa are way cooler than the cocksuckers here in PHX.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Depends on who you're dealing with. Local police and most of the county sheriff's departments couldn't give a shit what you do to your rig as long as you're not speeding (with the exception of Steven's County as I found out). State Patrol on the other hand will hang you out to dry. That's all their being paid to do is enforce the codes and they can be real pricks about it. If you're doing most of your driving in the city the chances of running across one aren't that great but any highway is a different story. :shaking:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts