Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I will promptly delete this, if I can get leads in the right direction. I did a few searches, but I yielded nothing.

My problem is this... I removed the studs on my H1 rims (for the beadlock ring), and now I cannot get them back into their slots. I tried tightening the bolts down, and hoped that they would slide into the right spot and be pulled in. This only worked on one of the studs. One stud got stripped, and a few others are damaged (not from this incident). My questions would be, (1) How do I get these back into the right place?, (2) Where do I get more studs? (staz maybe?)

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
As far as where to get the studs, try Stazworks or maybe an industrial hardware place..

On installing them, do you have access to a hydraulic press? Press them in if you do or find someone that will press them in for you.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrighty thanks. Staz will be my first choice. I don't want to wait 6 months for some studs from Daniel...

But now I have to go and take that damn 44 and rim apart again... :p

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Eagle-Mark said:
Ever have the feeling you shouldn't have said that?

Sorry, I just can't help but laugh every time Daniel comes up. ;)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I stripped a couple of studs due to the bead width on the IROKs. I went to Autozone and bought a couple of wheel studs, ground one side flat and pounded them home. I used my ball pen on the stud and whack it with my 5lb. Maybe you are a grilly man and can't whack them home. :p

Works fine and no leaks.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
I beat mine out cause I planned on replacing them. I couldn't find a Dorman stud close enough, and USA 6x6 wanted a buck or two for USED ones. So I knocked them back in. I remember it was a bitch because they wanted to fan outward when I beat them back in. I think I put two 4x4s under the wheel to elevate it, then used a brass punch and a hammer to beat them in. It took a while, but it worked. Then I just used a die to clean the threads up, and used stover locknuts for the studs and Grade 8 washers.

·
Premium Member
4,522 Posts
I needed to replace some of mine and I had a bunch missing.... I didn't find any studs that were close enough either in stock at a chain, in a catalogue at a real store or at Fastenal. I went with larger diameter studs from some online speed shop, bored out my holes, and tapped the new ones right in. Once they're started the nut should suck them right home. Worked for me even with a POS impact that'll only go to about 75#/ft.

Mine are fanned out just a hair, but that's just due to how close to the edge of the inside of the rim they are. out of 5 rims done, I've only got 2 studs that are a real problem - and they're on the same rim :D.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Keep in mind that once you locate the replacement studs you can freeze the studs and let the rims sit out in the sun for a while (unless its already cold in MO) I was amazed at how much of a difference it made when pressing bearings in. Of course I'm in Florida so when parts sit out in the sun for a while they become too hot to touch anyway.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK well I did the "press in" method, and every one of them is fanned out SLIGHTLY... just enough that I can't get them together... I hate working all the time, I never have time for building anymore... sheez This rig is taking forever!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts