Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running h1 wheels for a few years, everytime i take my wheels aprart i usualy have to get a new/used oring from one of my spare wheels cause the old one is stretched out. I have always coated my orings with synthetic royal purple grease before i reasemble. I have started pooching the orings recently durring assymbly. I noticed all the wheels i havnt messed with have dry orings when i take them apart. All my wheels are straight from surplus so no civilians have messed with them. I think the grease is softening up my orings and causing them to loose their tension. Even though billavistas tech article says buna is ok for oil and grease i am putting everything together dry now with my latest set of tires and so far no leakers. One other thing, i find alot of my surplus humvees use 100% permatex in place of the oring. I dont know if it worked well or not for the military guys but i know of 5 wheels that had no oring and all blue permatex, not the transparent stuff but the light blue pasty looking gunk. Now my question....according to tech, the mill. spec orings are .27?" in diameter. Has anyone made orings from 1/4" stock and had success? I have a bunch of 1/4" bulk oring material and would like to just make up new ones with this stuff and some loctite 404 to complete the circle. The nice thing about the 404 is that when you make an oring with it the oring will actualy break anywhere but the joint if assymbled properly.

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
I've been running mine dry for 4 years and have only replaced them one time. I only needed to replace one becaused it was severely pinched during installation, but I decided to replace all 5 just because. I know at least 3 other guys who run them dry and have at least as much time on them as I do.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i needed to here, i will go dry from now on, i usualy have problems cause they slip down and get pinched. If they where dry i dont think they would slip as easy. I think i might try cutting a 1/2 out of my old streched ones and glueing back to gether to get some spring back in em.

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
i use vaseline on the rings

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I have two-piece wheels, not H1's, but Stazworks, and I have never lubed the o-rings and they have always worked fine. Hell, after a year of beating the piss out of them now they still don't leak!!!! I ran USA6x6 wheels for about a year once :puke: that were also two-piece. While they crumpled the first time I rolled the buggy, they never leaked with dry o-rings. I have a lot of experience with 2-piece wheels. I've taken 2 sets apart and put them back together probably 8 or so times. Most of the time I re-use the o-rings.

I definately think that .25" rubber would work about as well as .27". You're talking 3/100's of an inch. Like you, I have a bunch of 1/4" stock and intend to use it on my H1's some day when I start using them with a set of 44" tires. (I would like to keep my Stazworks ones, but they are 17" and no one makes a 44" tire with a 17" rim.)

I've made my o-rings from the beginning using 1/4" stock and used Super Glue to stick the ends together every time. The glue has never failed me. I've also tried pulling the seam apart after letting it dry and the material broke before the seam.

J. J.

·
Registered
816 Posts
first off the actual dia. of a 1/4" o-ring is .27.

I lube mine with WD-40. I seems to work good because it dries up, You dont need lube all the time just on insertion. Soapy water also works good.

You do not want to use vasaline it will attack the rubber and swell it.

If you want to get really fancy go down to your local pool store and get some silicone o-ring lube it is designed too be used in o-rings. It works great on injector o-rings it is very slick the stuff i used was called magic lube.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replys guys. I have some actual dow corning oring lube that i am going to try next. Supposedly it swells the oring after being smeared on the ring. I have had good luck with it in the past on hydraulic valve stacks. DOnt know why i didnt think of it before. Although i might just keep with the dry method since it is working now. Taking my wheels on and off of 47" LTB's is much more of a pain then the old 36x1250's.

·
Registered
319 Posts
O ring length

if you were gonna make your own oring from 1/4" stock anyone have the measurement of the actual length needed?

say tip to tip of the oring before it was glued together.

·
Premium Member
17,819 Posts
if you use anything use soapy water, but really not needed as long as you get the ring centered in the groove and tighten evenly. Big problem we have is someone tightening unevenly and forcing the oring out of the groove, then when fully tightened it kills the ring.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Agree, assemble dry.

Now, where does one purchase bulk o-ring rolls??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts