Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 735 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
you got a serious head on ur shoulders. glad to see your takin ifs to the next level. i have a 4-linked solid axle and it does me good, but my Dad swears by his IFS and tell ya what, he can go alot faster through the ruff stuff. hes going to love ur build, maybe ican talk himinto doin ur set up on his 2500hd. good luck, and im hooked

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks good..
.I am doing a similar swap....

Why not use the factory GM 33 spline inner stub axles though? with a 33 spline locker, of course....seems "of the shelf"???

And what about a fabbing new oil pan, to raise up the D44 for much needed ground clearance?

Also, the H2 AWD has a MUCH better inboard CV joint....it is not a "Tripod":shaking:

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Oh Hey HUM-A-NUT! Have you started yours already?

To answer your questions...

The GM 33 spline is too short. I could post photos of them side by side if you would like to see for yourself.

I wanted 35 spline and an ARB.

The H3 shaft has an inner CV, but I'm pretty sure the H2 is a tripod/tripot. I know the GM 2500/3500 definitely has the Tripod/tripot. And when we ordered it from Napa, they show all three vehicle as being the same.

Regardless of what it is - that's what we are using.

We did a ton of work today, I'll post up some pics in a bit - and all I can say is - it works. :D

And it's crazy - I don't think ground clearance will be a problem.

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
So today we cycled the suspension one last time, a little fine tuning, making sure as suspension was being cycled with the 38 mounted, that our geometry was still good.

It cycled perfectly!!!

So, Rick had the honors of getting out the plasma cutter, and started cutting off all all the junk on the frame.

FREE parts!!!!

All Gone

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
And while Rick was busy cutting, Jeff finished up the differential. It is 29 7/8 flange to flange. The OEM AAM 760 IFS was 30 ".

And it is now ready for Dean to cut the long side.

Here is the short side

Next step is to set up the drop cradle, mount the axle and fabricate the A-arms.

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
LOL - knowledge is power - thanks for the tips.

So camo is informing me there are more appropriate Heim Joints to use for this build - as it is a daily driver/trail runner. (TechTim should patent that term - I really think it's going to catch on :smokin: )

We have chosen a 1.25" Heat/Cryo Treated Chromoly Rod ends for the mounting of the upper and lower A-arms. We are using the 7/8" to attach the upper A-arms and Delrin Bushings for the Lower A-Arm.

I'm looking at the Kartek, Poly Performance and McKenzies sites for other options.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks :D

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
More :bounce2:

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #75 (Edited)
Thank you, and thank you for your service.

I was beginning to wonder - it's been so quiet :laughing:

Considered posting some bewber pics to liven things up - but then I thought better of it. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

Considered posting some bewber pics to liven things up - but then I thought better of it. :flipoff2:
I think this is just a moderately slow and some what tame build so people arent hard up to watch it... Im just interested to see someone build the hell out of an H3 and you seem to be going in the right direction.

Bewbs are always nice :D

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
This is an important thread, Bebe. It will be referenced for years to come. You can tell already, just by the fact that your view to post ratio is almost 100:1. This is being watched. You started 9/8 and it's now 10/21. You've had over 1000 hits a week.

I've never heard of anyone else ever doing an upgrade swap on IFS that uses a cannibalized solid axle pumpkin. Correct me, if I'm wrong. Personally, I think this is brilliant. I'm sure I'm speaking for many people here that we're secretly hoping the conversion parts become a product line serviced by MFS so that IFS upgrade becomes the new garage shop holy grail.

Plenty of people have seen the limited improvements that come from bolt-on long travel kits. It's expensive. It's a dead end. No further improvements are likely to make a significant additional difference. On the other hand, fully custom built IFS only makes sense in the extreme conditions of desert racing. It's not likely to trickle down into the realm of full bodied vehicles because it's frankly cost prohibitive. This is a market that's wide open. We're probably watching the future here, and we know it.

If you're surprised by the lack of responses, just remember... it's not disinterest... it's stunned silence.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts

You know, I am NOT showing this thread to my wife. :D She is really pushing hard to mod her H3.

I will hold off my opinions of the steering rack until I see it installed. I have an idea to take the stress off of it.

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
You know, I am NOT showing this thread to my wife. :D She is really pushing hard to mod her H3.

I will hold off my opinions of the steering rack until I see it installed. I have an idea to take the stress off of it.

Well I would love for you to share it. I don't know if you remember Hunner's fix for it, but that's where we are headed, adding a third mount near the breakaway.

When Rick was getting ready to pull it off the cross member, he called Jeff and I over to see that the holes in the cross member where the mounting bolts go through were way too big. The bolts flopped around in them. That's another issue that needs to be addressed for all H3 owners.

It appears as though GM went to great lengths to keep the mechanics of these vehicles very quiet, but is some circumstances it allowed too much movement making them weak or causing advanced wear. The mounting of the aluminum front diff with 3 bushings is another really bad idea for support, but good for a quiet ride.

Let us know what you're thinking, it would be timely. A-Arms are being fabricated Saturday and the steering rack is next.

61 - 80 of 735 Posts