Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 735 Posts

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Rick picked up some bling for me yesterday at Tognottis :D - I am going to be Rockin' this!!:laughing:

Here is a comparison of the new Tie Rod inner vs the OEM (left). Jeff is going to fab up some Clevis Mounts and we are trying to locate a source for those Monster 24mm bolts that will have to screw into the rack. We will be using the 3/4 in heim from RuffStuff :smokin:. Unfortunately PSC, Howe and ProAm don't make Clevis's that big.

·
Mall Crawler
1,093 Posts
Ha! It wouldn't be a Hummer without the chrome. :D

Looking good! Can't wait to see this thing on 38"s.

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Jeff and Rick have a skidplate design already in their heads but they won't tell me what it is....I think they are planning some sort of "Torchmate Surprise".

As long as as it doesn't say "Camo says to eat a bowl of D1cks" I'm sure I'll be fine with whatever it they have in mind.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That wouldn't happen to be a 24mm x 3mm tp would it?

Jeff

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
WOW, THAT LOOKS REALLY CLOSE!!!

C'mon Doc, there is a pot of Gutter Runners in it for you at KOH if you can deliver the specs....:D

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Jeff and Rick have a skidplate design already in their heads but they won't tell me what it is....I think they are planning some sort of "Torchmate Surprise".

As long as as it doesn't say "Camo says to eat a bowl of D1cks" I'm sure I'll be fine with whatever it they have in mind.
You mean to tell me that you would NOT rock a skidplate that says that??

Dane

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it's that big.

This is the clevis from an FJ Cruiser HD steering tie rod kit from All-Pro. They've apparently discontinued the product line, but I just heard from a forum member on the FJ Cruiser board that they got ahold of a set in person at All-Pro.

I doubt it's 24mm but I wonder if you could ream up the hole and fit a larger bolt.

I just got off the phone with a parts department guy at a local Toyota dealership and he thinks the threaded hole in the FJC rack is 14 millimeter, by the look of the stock part. By the look of the clevis, you could lose 5 mm all the way around, and still have some material. I just can't say whether or not it would work with your intended heim choice.

I dropped a note to a friend of mine who knows those guys, but you could probably get the specs directly from Jon Bundrant.

Edit: Bebe, you know I would never torture you for very long hunting for parts on your MOST EXCELLENT project. ;)

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Thank you, you truly are merciful - Hippocratic oath and all. :D

I checked the websites of the above mentioned companies, including Camburg, Blitzkreig, Dixon Bros, BDS, and a few others I could scare up from RDC. There are a couple of 3/4", but I could not find 24mm.

We did find the bolts in Reno, being drop shipped to the shop by Friday :D

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it's that big.

This is the clevis from an FJ Cruiser HD steering tie rod kit from All-Pro. They've apparently discontinued the product line, but I just heard from a forum member on the FJ Cruiser board that they got ahold of a set in person at All-Pro.

I doubt it's 24mm but I wonder if you could ream up the hole and fit a larger bolt.

I just got off the phone with a parts department guy at a local Toyota dealership and he thinks the threaded hole in the FJC rack is 14 millimeter, by the look of the stock part. By the look of the clevis, you could lose 5 mm all the way around, and still have some material. I just can't say whether or not it would work with your intended heim choice.

I dropped a note to a friend of mine who knows those guys, but you could probably get the specs directly from Jon Bundrant.

Edit: Bebe, you know I would never torture you for very long hunting for parts on your MOST EXCELLENT project. ;)
I was JUST trying to track down a set of those clevises for a Tacoma today. I wonder why they discontinued them? It is indeed a 14mm hole on the steering rack.

And that part looks far to nice to be on a Kia. :flipoff2:

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Thank you Larry, when I start googling anything I start with BillaVista. In fact when I started this build, before it was even in the shop, I consulted with him on some of my theories and thoughts :D He is incredibly knowledgeable and I felt like a total dimwit talking to him, but have learned so much from his articles. Thanks Bill :)

The Clevis' are from PSC, and while they are nearly perfect, they are still too small. The inner diameter of the rack is 2.25 inches, the PSC Clevis OD IIRC is 1.25". They are made for the 3/4" heim joint which is what we are using.(With stainless steel mis-alignment spacers...Thanks Dan:)

Jeff's been busy getting everything together to start turning these - We should have them finished up by tomorrow. I'll post pics with some comparisons to the PSC Clevis.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Since they're just clevises, and they take a spherical bearing, the accuracy doesn't have to be machine-grade. You could do a fabricated clevis with a lathed spacer that's just a piece of 2" round stock bored out with a 24mm hole, and then some 1/4" plate bent into the clevis shape, drilled and welded.

I've seen tons of people using welded clevises on steering arms. In fact, one of the interesting things I saw AFTER I built my hydraulic system was that some people were running the HEIM on the ram and had the clevis on the tie rod. This has a number of advantages from an assembly standpoint, because the heim is designed to work with a jam nut. That would probably fit inside your rack housing.

24mm rod ends are a standard part with several vendors. I'm seeing them as an Aurora and a QA1 part with a google search.

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Since they're just clevises, and they take a spherical bearing, the accuracy doesn't have to be machine-grade. You could do a fabricated clevis with a lathed spacer that's just a piece of 2" round stock bored out with a 24mm hole, and then some 1/4" plate bent into the clevis shape, drilled and welded.

I've seen tons of people using welded clevises on steering arms. In fact, one of the interesting things I saw AFTER I built my hydraulic system was that some people were running the HEIM on the ram and had the clevis on the tie rod. This has a number of advantages from an assembly standpoint, because the heim is designed to work with a jam nut. That would probably fit inside your rack housing.

24mm rod ends are a standard part with several vendors. I'm seeing them as an Aurora and a QA1 part with a google search.
That was one of the ideas we came up with, there are many ways to skin this cat.

I did find welding the clevis to the tie rod and setting the heim joint into the steering rack - I call it the hot rod version.:smokin: It is used frequently on hot rods and with Jeff's background in building B/A hot rods, he had already thought of it and decided against it.

Keep in mind my rig weighed 6150 before the Hutchinsons and 38's. :D

The forces on the inner joint are not so bad in a vertical/travel situation, however, in rock crawling, you put a great deal of force on (and I don't know the technical term though I can see it in my head) horizontally when you approach a solid structure you are going to crawl over.

This one I found for a dragster, and it could be made to be stronger, easily.

Now to address the 24mm issue. I probably did not explain it well in my first description. The threaded part of the tie rod that threads into the rack is 24mm. Meaning like - 15/16. Less than an inch in diameter but more than 7/8. It is 14mm long/deep.

I was asking around on RDC in Pm's and two folks told me to call Camburg and have them make a set of Clevis' ($300.00 a pair). No big deal, but why when I have the truck at MFS and Dean at Performance Cryogenics right down the road?

So, just as Jeff got the bolts in from Reno today and realized they were WRONG, Dean came in to measure for the long side axle, and they both determined between the two shops, they could just make them.

So, that's where we are....Dean will have his portion done in the AM, Jeff will finish them up in the lathe and mill, and we can get moving forward.:D

A reason the clevis needs to be on the rack end, is it needs to be able to move (2.00") into the rack, which, if we were using a rod end, we would have to shim it a lot to get proper thread engagement.

If you can point me to a 24mm thread diameter rod end - I would be very happy. :grinpimp:

I bet this is going to be a lot easier to explain with photos than trying to paint mental pictures. :emb:

I will for sure post up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
That's crystal clear logic, Bebe. I can't imagine doing a rod end that's only threaded in 14mm and it has to stick out 2" to clear the housing at full lock. That seems like it's asking way too much of the thing. I'd much rather have a machined 1-piece clevis bolted flat to flat. The clevis does take some angled forces, so those flats bear load. A heim would just load the hole.

Here's what I was looking at when I found metric heims:

http://www.aurorabearing.com/Files/articles/AuroraBearing610Catalog.pdf

They have a hardened 24mm on page 38, but it's a 2mm pitch and I think Jeff said M24x3.0, which I don't see.

·
flamethrower
12,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Dean brought in the Clevis blanks, and a couple extra for Jeff to machine later. This 2 inch diameter threaded 24x14mm.

And for some perspective:

The 38 hung on the rear at full droop;

Lower A-Arm;

Upper and Lower A-Arm attached:smokin:

And a little vid of it working :D Click on pic and it should play

101 - 120 of 735 Posts