Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into options for lowering the gearing in my '82 FJ60, without paying the expense of the H55 5-speed. The non-US H41 4-speeds have the same gearing in 1st thru 4th, and I don't really need the overdrive with the 33X9.50s I'm running. Here's what I have in mind:

2F, H41 4-speed, '82 split transfer case, 3.73 differentials, BFG 33X9.50 ATs

Is there an H41 available from overseas that will mate up to my split transfer case? If I go with the H55 5-speed I'll need the transfer case as well.

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I know a H42 will not mount to the split case, so I will assume the H41 will not.

You are not going to gain a ton by doing this, unless you swap in 4.11's too.

If I were you, I would swap in the 3 speed transfer case and sell the split case.

You can get some good money for it and then your combo will be much more worth the effort.

H41=4.9:1
3sp=2.32
dif=4.11

46.7:1 Crawl

Would be NICE with 33 x 9.50's

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Nolen, the H42 IS the transmission on all US-spec FJ60's, all of which came with the split-case. If you find an H41 from 1981 and newer, it will mate to the split-case, no problem, this is the t-case it was supposed to be mated to in the first place.

As for the original question, my friend Phil Stevens is running that exact same setup, except for 33x12.5's, and he loves it, the tires provide the overdrive and the lower first gear is great on the trail.

·
Registered
49 Posts
henry,
do you keep fiche tattooed to your skin or something? you oughta work for the toyota musuem. impressive, consistent knowledge of all the pieces parts.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nolen, Henry (did I get that right?)

Thanks for the input.

I may part out my '84 FJ60, and do some horse trading for a 4-speed with split case from another FJ60. That would give me (including what's already in my '82 FJ60, '71 FJ40, and '76 FJ40):

- three 4-speeds ('82 - '84)
- three 4-speeds ('76 - '78)
- three split transfer cases ('82 - '84)
- two 4-speed transfer cases ('76 and '78)
- two 3-speed transfer cases
- six 4.11 differentials
- four 3.73 differentials

Somehow out of that I'd have left over:

- three transmissions
- four transfer cases
- four differentials

So the possibilities are almost endless.

This is what I'd like to end up with:

One FJ60 that I could drive all day long at 75 mph without exceeding 3,000 rpm (3.73 differentials and 33X9.50 tires). Extra ground clearance without a lift kit (33X9.50s). Noticeably lower gearing off-road once I get to the trail (low-ratio 4-speed with split transfer/3-speed transfer).

One FJ40 set up similarly for the same type of use. For the 33X9.50s I know I'd need at least a mild lift (1-1/2 inches), maybe a front shackle reversal and extended rear shackles? I'd like to be able to drive all over the Southwest without having to flat tow or trailer an FJ40 everywhere.

One FJ40 set up more for shorter trips, and lower than stock gearing for the trails (4.11 differentials, H42, 3-speed transfer case).

I've heard from quite a few people that the 3-speed transfer case can be noisy on the highway at higher speeds, so I like the idea of using the split transfer case on at least the two highway vehicles.

How does this sound from a technical point of view? I've got all the tools and experience to do any swaps required, and most of the Cruisers are about ready for a new clutch anyway. I'd just need to find the time.

John

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Jay, I wouldn't mind being the curator of the Toyota Museum. Unfoetunately, that job's taken, but I've been asked to consult for them twice, which was very cool.
Sometimes I worry about the amount of nearly-useless Land Cruiser information/trivia that occupies space in my brain, no wonder I forget even stupid shit like what I was supposed to bring back from the supermarket! ;0
As for the tattoo, I wanted to get the early "TEQ" Toyota logo on my leg, but I chickened out...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Klune underdrive For Landcruiser 4sp/split case

The Klune-V Extreme Underdrive sounds like a candidate for this : The adapter is available for the short 4spd trans, and we have the adapter for the split case. E-mail me if interested [email protected]

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
sounds like a good plan. the only other mod you might want to consider would be to do a 3fe swap. :D

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Thread from the dead...

Edit;
Even more so for a product pimpin...

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Gotta love all these spammers....

Anyway nice to read some of these old super old school threads.. Maybe a good reason though why search should be limited to the people with stars... :mr-t:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts