Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for some sources to obtain a H55F. I know MAF has them but they are coupled with a t-case which I don't want/need and are WAY overpriced. I search here and on the net and found only one source from the write-up on off-road.com.

I also hear a dealer in Texas has started importing them directly from Japan but they didn't have the dealership name or info. I figure they would be dealer price as well though.

*edit: I'll update this with info I find as well. We could call it the official H55F thread.:D

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Side note. No dealers at least in my area can get this tranny. At least that's what they say.

CCOT: maybe it's just me but does 2 grand seem high? $2,096.77

MAF: rebuilt price $2750 w/t-case

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I believe Jay Marks Toyota in Houston Texas could get them. CCoT also had them. Most of the used ones imported will be sold with the TC. If it is to be used in pre 80 40 or 55 you would need the split TC anyway. Beware that the TC low range on many of the h55fs imported is 1.98:1 low range. US spec'd TC gears are like 2.3:1.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ginericfj80 said:
Beware that the TC low range on many of the h55fs imported is 1.98:1 low range. US spec'd TC gears are like 2.3:1.
Yeah, a good thing to do is to swap the low gear from the 4spd. t-case into the 5 spd. case. Best of both worlds, you get the lower first gear from the 5spd. and low range from the 4spd t-case.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Don't know if these are the current numbers, but I have 33030-60450 for the H55F. You will also need to order the 5th gear oiler cup, part number 33124-36010. Any dealer should be able to order it, and with 25% discount, price is around $1800.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
When I checked with Al at Titus Will Toyota(my local dealer, in WA) a month or two ago, there were a few(he told me how many, I forget, but it was more than one) sitting in the US in LA or Portland I think, said I could have it in two days(so that means LA), his cost was $16xx, retail was $22xx, said my cost would be $18xx.....and there aint no shiping when you get it local.

BTW the part numbers are in the US parts book I have for late 2001, shows cost then as $1417(retail $2005), and an E rated item, which means it might not be in a wherehouse but you can still get it from Japan.

Like I said as of a month or so ago there were some in the US and any dealer that is worth a shit "COULD" get one for you, seems most don't try very hard.....

If I can help let me know.

John H

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
rick d said:
two trannies in US,
FJ62 one = 60431 and HJ60 = 60450.

the H is cheaper than the 62 by $200.
What is the difference? Input shafts?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
rick d said:
two trannies in US,
FJ62 one = 60431 and HJ60 = 60450.

the H is cheaper than the 62 by $200.

Curious as well, whats the difference, one better than the other, the 60431 is a F item.......means no can get usually.

Leon- "What's a tortoise?"

(soon to be dead guy) -"know what a turtle is, same thing"

The Professional!

John H

·
Registered
109 Posts
Besides the split transfercase 5th gear oiler cup,as Rustycruiser pointed out, you also need to plug the hole above the oiler cup, or was it below, with a 1/4 pipe plug. Otherwise you'll transfer your transmission oil into your transfercase.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
rick d said:
[Holmaas-

ennnnhhhh. Blade Runner.

Leon "my mother, let me tell you about my mother"

(blazing firearm under table) [/B]
Rick OK I got ya, I'm a bit slow(the city even has a sign in front of my place that says "slow childen" I assume they mean me, as there is no school or kids nearby) I now see you were just saying both tranies are the same........

Blade Runner......great flix!

John H

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
As of today(Jan 20th) there are 5 H55F(for the HJ. 33030-60450 ) sitting in the US. When I checked a few months ago there were only 2(Al reminded me) so they are still restocking them.

2 in LA
1 in San Francisco
1 in Boston
1 in Certral Atlantic

these are all Toyota parts wherehouses not dealers.

Again any dealer worth a shit "can" get these.

John H

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$1800 is by far the best price I have seen so far. Spector offers one as well for almost 2k. It is 1900 and some change.

I am mainly looking for my FJ60. :D

I also found that my buddies Uncle works for a toyota dealer so I am goign to try to go through him to see what kind of pricing I can get.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
HighToy said:
$1800 is by far the best price I have seen so far. Spector offers one as well for almost 2k. It is 1900 and some change.

I am mainly looking for my FJ60. :D

I also found that my buddies Uncle works for a toyota dealer so I am goign to try to go through him to see what kind of pricing I can get.
My dealer said they spit the diff(for shops or jobber,ect) between cost and retail, so $1800ish, and if you can get it local no shiping but sales tax might apply, which is probley about what it would cost to ship.

Again cost is $1600ish and the dealer needs to make a few bucks IMOP. Not the same mark up on this trany as some of the smaller parts which are normaly marked up 50-100%

John H

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
There should be no significant noise, in fact, the H55F is very quiet when in good shape. You might want to crack that baby open and see what condition it's in.

Folks, that's just one more reason to go with a brand-new one from Toyota. MAF and SOR simply *cannot be certain* where these trannies came from, they're buying from an Aussie wholesaler. They might be from the "grandmother-owned, driven only to church on Sundays and bingo on Friday night" low-mileage FJ62, or they can be from the "600,000 kilometer, thirteen crossing of the Simpson Desert towing a trailer" HJ75, there's no way of telling...

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a H55 sitting in my shop that I have been trying to locate an input shaft for a 2F motor. The one I have is for a B diesel. So does anybody have an idea where I can snatch one of these F input shafts?

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
LCexplorer said:
I have a H55 sitting in my shop that I have been trying to locate an input shaft for a 2F motor. The one I have is for a B diesel. So does anybody have an idea where I can snatch one of these F input shafts?
My records show 33311-60121 for the 10 spline input shaft you need. Not sure if this is a US part number (or current), so your dealer may not be able to get it. If that is the case, call SOR.

·
Registered
426 Posts
60121 will fit only the later 1986 plus H55's. The 60070 number is discontinued and only Specter shows stock at $299 each.

the earlier input bearing is 90mm across and 20+mm thick, the later is 92mm and 25.4mm thick. shims won't work. I am running through this very problem with a Flagstaff Arizona BJ H55 owner.

have fun converting....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.